Blur Studios video on the E3 killzone video....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it will be the other way around: whatever they release, some people will say that they've achieved their goal, no matter how the actual result looks like...

What ever they release is a lie. Even if the final game looks better than that vidoe it is a lie, since that video is not gameplay...

BenQ said:
I agree. If they would have just kept their mouthes shut and kept people guessing, that would have been "missleading."

But as soon as he stated ( or should I say "they", as it was stated several times by several different people ) that CGI was gameplay - That's lying.

Lying? I don't think so after reading these two posts. More like misinterpreted.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=652726&postcount=58

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=660070&postcount=149

Serenity Painted Death said:
Did you all take things this personally when you found out that Santa and the Tooth Fairy didn't exist?

:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Blur studioes made the Robot Demo for the XBOX as well.

"This is all done to the Technical Specs of the Console"

Well to be honest, i don't think that the XBOX achieved anything like that Robot demo, time will tell if Killzone 2 does, the preasure is ON!

It's pretty amazing when people defend disingenuous acts, and react as if everyone in the World should just expect to be thrown over a barrel and tossed a ball-gag rather than to take people at their word.

It was BS when MS promised a HDD standard, etc. And it's BS when Sony/Guerrilla/Whomever lie and claim that a CG movie is real-time game play. It's BS when MS does the same.

Neither side is better than the other, but at least admit when a company or group of individuals make an asshole move like that, and don't try to defend it.

**Note, none of this was in reference to the quote below**

Did you all take things this personally when you found out that Santa and the Tooth Fairy didn't exist?

:)

-tkf- said:
Blur studioes made the Robot Demo for the XBOX as well.

"This is all done to the Technical Specs of the Console"

Well to be honest, i don't think that the XBOX achieved anything like that Robot demo, time will tell if Killzone 2 does, the preasure is ON!

Pipeworks did the Raven/Rex demo for Xbox. CG, NV20 and a version for the NV2a which was never publically shown.

Guerrilla are hacks who made promises they couldnt keep. axis animation got them a free pass with their CG.

sony should buy Criterion not those hacks. how is Black and Killzone the same ps2 software?

Platon said:
What ever they release is a lie.

What? The video was a lie, whatever they release won't be.

Look, it's really this simple. Sony put out a CG trailer - and lied about it, granted, whether wilfully or ignorantly or whatever - but ultimately that won't matter if we see that kind of quality in PS3's lifetime. It was meant as a demonstration of what PS3 can do, and if PS3 does end up achieving that quality, then that's that. This is just one more guy's opinion as to how achievable it is. It's not "proof" of anything, it's just another perspective.

If that kind of quality is not achieved, it'll just fall into history as an overally ambitious target, and it won't be without company.

Criterion was bought over already by EA.

Also, why are we still talking about Killzone? It was clear shortly after E3 already that most of the videos shown were developer vision on what they thought would be feasable on the system. That included work-in-progress being sped-up but didn't rule out cg being used in anyway to show off something that would resemble something what they thought would be feasable. If the actual work was outsourced or not, isn't really the issue here.

The more interesting question is: how good will the actual Killzone look and how close will that be to what they showed at E3? Before we see any of the actual game for PS3, why don't we just wait with calling them whatever or passing judgement on something we can only speculate about?

Serenity Painted Death said:

Now why would you say something like that? That's totally unfounded. Do you have a link? If you don't give us proof, then how can you say something as totally unreal as that?!

Sorry, Santa doesn't exist? Well who left an Xbox 360 and Espresso maker under the tree for me? And who left footprints leading to and from our boarded up fireplace? By the way do not play Condemned after drinking 3 double espresso's, I'm going to bed traumatised some nights.

Titanio said:
What? The video was a lie, whatever they release won't be.

Look, it's really this simple. Sony put out a CG trailer - and lied about it, granted, whether wilfully or ignorantly or whatever - but ultimately that won't matter if we see that kind of quality in PS3's lifetime. It was meant as a demonstration of what PS3 can do, and if PS3 does end up achieving that quality, then that's that. This is just one more guy's opinion as to how achievable it is. It's not "proof" of anything, it's just another perspective.

If that kind of quality is not achieved, it'll just fall into history as an overally ambitious target, and it won't be without company.

That's not really what happened now is it.

If they would have been HONEST there would be no problem whatsoever.

E3 2005 - Sony- "We are well behind 360 development for our PS3 games, so at this point we really don't have any games nearly ready for public consumption. We have some tech demo which we believe you'll find interesting and here are some CGI trailers. We say again that they are all CGI and not in any way gameplay, but we designed this CGI with future PS3 hardware in mind, and we strongly believe that these levels of gameplay and graphics will be possible for the PS3 in the future."

Now really. Was that such a horrible truth? Were all the lies and deception really necessary?

I don't want to be lied to and it's completely unnecessary. Say what you will about M$'s ethics but at E3 they were 100% honest. They put the controller right into peoples hands and said "here's what we got so far, enjoy". Even if the games were still a bit buggy or with inconsistent framerates. They point is there were completely up front and honest - and I appreciate that.

Please read my post - I said they lied.

BenQ said:
I don't want to be lied to and it's completely unnecessary. Say what you will about M$'s ethics but at E3 they were 100% honest. They put the controller right into peoples hands and said "here's what we got so far, enjoy".

They also showed some games with CG footage mixed in and kept quiet about it..

Titanio said:
Please read my post - I said they lied.

They also showed some games with CG footage mixed in and kept quiet about it..

What game are you talking about?

And did they ever flat out lie to people? When asked if X was gameplay, did they imediately respond with "Oh yeah, that's all gameplay"?

There's nothing wrong with CGI, and there's nothing wrong with mixing CGI in with gameplay for a trailer.

There is something wrong with purposefully designing CGI to appear as gameplay footage and they lying to everyone about what it is ( Killzone 2 and most likely Motorstorm aswell ).

Did M$ do that?

BenQ said:

And did they ever flat out lie to people? When asked if X was gameplay, did they imediately respond with "Oh yeah, that's all gameplay"?

There's nothing wrong with CGI, and there's nothing wrong with mixing CGI in with gameplay for a trailer.

There is something wrong with purposefully designing CGI to appear as gameplay footage and they lying to everyone about what it is ( Killzone 2 and most likely Motorstorm aswell ).

Did M$ do that?

Uhm yeah, from the days of the first Xbox. But if thinking they didn't makes you feel better, by all means ignore my post.

thatdude90210 said:
Ah, the backlash begins... Guerilla did get a lot of mileage using someone else's work. Killzone2 went from nowhere to highly anticipated, and all Guerilla had to do was let someone else work and just kept their mouth shut. Not a bad deal.

But wasnt the E3 footage from Killzone3? So I expect to see a Killzone2 before that on the PS2. But how funny wouldnt it be if it was released on PS3 instead and wasnt as cool looking as we expect Killzone3 to be. :)

Ben-Q please go back a page and read the links to the full Tretton interview transcript. And to the other fellah, it's Jack TRE"TT"ON, not Jack TRE"N"TON.

Sorry guys, it's six in the morning... I need to go to sleep.

G'night

Dio

What's there left to discuss about the PS3 Killzone video, it's been known for a while it was not real gameplay, but "rendered to spec" CGI.
End of story, no more left to say or argue, why do people still keep onposting new threads about it. Wasn't the whole eord "Killxone" banned from tnhese forums shortly after the E3 to prevent unnecessary flaming topics, would it be wise to reinstate that ban again?

If the Killzone video wasn't rendered on PS3 with "to spec" art assets, then I think discussing of it should be held until there's something new presented.

BenQ said:

Did M$ do that?

I said that they mixed CG into footage they were showing - a big example being NNN. They didn't explcitly say "this is gameplay", but they didn't rush to clarify that it wasn't either.

I fully accept that Tretton flat-out lied about the circumstances of the KZ trailer. I don't want to get into a pissing contest about corporate honesty, but I simply don't agree at all that MS was "100% honest" at E3. There's been plenty to illustrate that since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back