Mark Rein comments on 'new' GOW Screens...

So those screens I posted as new, were actually super old:

Now, about those screenshots. Those are NOT new screen shots. In fact they're quite old and some aren't Gears at all. Here's what I wrote about them in a different thread on this forum...

These are very old images, mostly from our internal PR Kick-off meeting with Microsoft back in December 2004. They were never intended for release and they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today. In fact some of those images don't represent the game AT ALL! The grassy field images are from our GDC 2004 Unreal Engine 3 demo and NOT from Gears! That is TWO YEAR OLD engine demo content we showed to Microsoft PR people to give them an early flavor of what the tech could do. As you can probably guess we're pretty unhappy that these crappy images have surfaced. Unfortunately this isn't the first time our publisher has released content not intended for release and it feels like a punch in the gut every time it happens.
http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=9100

Do you notice how every dev who ever worked with MS complains about their idiot PR department(like Ninja Theory)?

The best thing MS could ever do for themselves is fire their entire PR team, and hire whoever the hell Sony uses.

On another note - "they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today" niiiice

I didn't want to say it at the time, but those shots had some suspiciously funky resolutions going on ;) They also seemed a bit set up just to show off a particular character model or whatever.

Now aren't we all feeling silly for damage controlling those pictures (ie. in more of a "what the fuck this isn't downgraded" type way). Certain people anyway :p

mckmas8808 said:
Well where are the pictures?
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27357

Locked because of arguments I assume (classic: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=672042&postcount=28).

Personally I had a good idea when I saw them (the thread was locked at the time) that they were old.

scooby_dooby said:
Some of em are actually pretty nice IMO, but nothing to gush over...which is why I didn't
Yeah. Epic were doing this in 2004 and most guys aren't even matching it now. And GOW has improved alot since then...

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
So those screens I posted as new, were actually super old:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=9100

Do you notice how every dev who ever worked with MS complains about their idiot PR department(like Ninja Theory)?

The best thing MS could ever do for themselves is fire their entire PR team, and hire whoever the hell Sony uses.

On another note - "they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today" niiiice

They have had multiple publishers, I doubt his comment was refering to MS exclusively. Actually MS's PR department is very good. From Jade Empire, to Fable, to Halo 1 & 2, they've had many success stories. Regardless of what Ninja Theory states, I doubt a game like that would have been successful with the Xbox demographic anyway ;)

Nicked said:
Now aren't we all feeling silly for damage controlling those pictures (ie. in more of a "what the fuck this isn't downgraded" type way). Certain people anyway :p

Silly insecure people.

Nicked said:
Excuse me for not feel silly at all.These pictures still look amasing to me,and i still don't think that they represent a "downgrade".The original PR shots of the UE3 looked fantastic anyway.

I would be really surprised if GoW ends up looking much better than these shots anyway,which is fine by me.

" Unfortunately this isn't the first time our publisher has released content not intended for release and it feels like a punch in the gut every time it happens."

I can only imagine the amateurism going at some places.

Marketing people just can't see the difference. The worst thing to happen is when they get their hands on a working build of a game that can write out screenshots...

Back