Enchant Arm - Hand On Impression & Gameplay Videos

This game sounds really pretty good, a nice next gen solid RPG by the sounds of it, I sure hope they get this to the west ASAP.

Preview:

"Japanese RPGs weren't the original Xbox's strong point, but with Enchant Arm, just released in Japan on Thursday, Xbox 360 seems to be off to a good start. After about four hours of play time, From Software's first true Japanese RPG seems to have a surprising amount of polish for an RPG appearing so early in a system's life.

Things start off pretty slow in Enchant Arm as you take control of Atsuma, his mentor Touwa and Makoto, an effeminate character who seems to have a thing for Touwa. The game holds your hand at first, forcing you to take on a few short search quests, then taking you through a dungeon where the most basic of RPG conventions -- opening treasure boxes and climbing ladders, for instance -- are explained. From apparently assumes that this is our first RPG as well. Thankfully, he game's pacing has sped up following a few major plot twists, leaving me wanting to get back to my 360."
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680963p1.html

4 gameplay videos:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747936/vids_1.html

Screens:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747936/imgs_1.html

Environments look great.

I wish they would show your whole party walking around though. The old convention of having one character represent the party should've died out by now.

I'm surprised by the complete lack of discussion anywhere about this game, I guess cause there's only about 80,000 people in the entire world who can actually buy it...

Get this out west!! I want some next-gen RPG action.

blim (of xboxyde.com/gaf ) said he will out up first ten minutes of the game and some detailed impressions real soon,(you can find official thread for the game at gaf here )plus there are rumours that localization for western markets has already begun. Xseed's president said he was interested in porting rpgs for 360..... so have no worries scooby , it look like this title might end up in na sometime.

Blim's impressions don't sound too great:
Ok first impressions after about one hour.
First of all graphically this is definitely not a killer game. It has some nice textures and effects, but it really looks like it's a quick upgrade of a Xbox game to Xbox 360. Nothing screams next gen so far except the nice 720p resolution with antialiasing. It certainly looks better than any jRPG so far (I'm not commenting on artistical stuff here), but that's it.
Gameplay wise this is very old school. Run around, do you objectives, destroy a few boxes to get some free stuff, and fight. Sometimes the camera is free, sometimes in smaller rooms it's fixed and changes only to help see some stuff.
The battle system is your typical grid based stuff. Move your character, then choose what to do, be it a support power or kick the enemies ass. Of course each move has a certain distance it can be used at, so you have to be placed accordingly on the grid. Well, you know the drill.
I can't comment on the story since I do not understand japanese, but so far from the tone of the dialogs (most are dubbed, but the less important stuff is only subbed) the scenario is still in the "easygoing" phase.
So far eM looks like a very typical jRPG, with some good but not incredible production values.
My japanese friend won't be able to capture the video tonight, so I'll try to do it myself. I have some friends coming over tonight so it will be difficult, especially since I have to work tomorrow :/
Didn't really expect much from a (near) launch title, so anyway...

scooby_dooby said:
Get this out west!! I want some next-gen RPG action.
Yes! And you yanks out there better buy it, so that it comes to PAL regions. ;)

Some new impressions. It seems the game picks up a few hours in.

bebpo said:
This is by the Otogi team and it shows. About 3 hours in and big thumbs up atm. I'll have a full in-depth system by system, step by step, analysis preview up at 1up mon/tue so check there for all the details but definitely a fun game and it'll probably end up being the best launch-window rpg that any system I know of has gotten.

bebpo said:
Well, yeah it's too early to comment on the story or game flow. But the battle system is great and you can tell exactly how the gameplay systems will evolve and they're really fun.

I'm sure I've played it more than Famitsu did already and so it does piss me off a bit that Famitsu is so blatently anti-Xbox brand. Enchant is better than a lot of the PS2 games they give 32/40 and doesn't have any major flaws that would drop it to a 29/40. I mean only crap rpgs get 29/40 in Famitsu and this certainly is not crap. It's not like I put much faith into Famitsu reviews before, but it's just annoying when they're purposely trying to drive people away from the X360. Most Jrpg fans would really enjoy the game.

BlimBlim said:
Ok I'm now at 3 hours in the game and I'm starting to really like what I'm seeing. While it could have been more polished, most of the graphics are really nice. In fact the least polished area so far was the city, where lots of textures were low resolution.
A lot of cutscenes (all realtime) are top notch. I've just had the whole geometry of a very big room I was in completely change with the camera moving around, very impressive stuff.

since it will sell like crap in japan it will never come out here.. alot of good selling rpgs dont even come out here let alone bad selling ones

id say a ps3 port is more likely than the 360 version coming out outside of japan

New 2 Page preview:
http://1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3147090&did=1

Game sounds great.

Overall, the gameplay portion of EM is great, which is especially surprising considering that the development team is new to the RPG genre. Battles are fast and fun (almost no loading included), party management is a blast, and the game rewards those who play smart. Even if the story is a bit generic and the presentation level of the game is that of a low-budget RPG, the gameplay and the sharp crisp HD visuals will keep players unable to put down their controller. EM is quite lengthy as well, with a full 30-40 hour single player quest, unlockable achievements for those who want to get everything, and an online mode where you can pick a team of golems from a save to fight against an opponent's team.* Considering that close-to-launch RPGs have often been painfully average or many times terrible games, EM is a pleasant surprise. It might not win any awards at the end of the year, but most everyone who gives the game a shot will have a good time with it and will get a nice taste of what to expect from next-gen RPGs.

NucNavST3 said:
If only From Software had the marketing dollars; I hope this one makes it to the states.

Personally, Otogi 1 and 2 were/are two of my favorite xbox games, I think each one was voted best game no one is playing (sadly).

Very true indeed.

NucNavST3 said:
If only From Software had the marketing dollars; I hope this one makes it to the states.

Personally, Otogi 1 and 2 were/are two of my favorite xbox games, I think each one was voted best game no one is playing (sadly).

Considering it's basically a RPG for beginners, with lots of tutorials, makes me think it's probably destined for places outside of Japan.

Sounds like it has its fair share of problems (graphics, animation, story et. al) but some good points too (fun battle system, length et. al).

Still, for a (near) launch title, thats not half bad. Too bad it'd never sell over here.

they might have to tone down or cut out the "boy loving" parts of the game if they are planning to release this game in western markets though.

<nu>faust said:
they might have to tone down or cut out the "boy loving" parts of the game if they are planning to release this game in western markets though.
I have to agree. That wouldn't fly well here especially with the Xbox 360 audience. Hopefully we will see this game come our way and the slim possibility of a resurrection of Working Designs in spirit.

Back