Sci-fi pics up Doctor Who...

SsP45 said:
It's a great show indeed. I can't wait for Season 2 (or is that 28?) with the new Doctor.

Did you see the Christmas special - the first David Tennant one? It wasn't bad, but I think the biggest problem is that Christopher Ecclestone will be a damn hard act to follow.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Did you see the Christmas special - the first David Tennant one? It wasn't bad...
Actually, I think it was. And not "bad" in a good way, either. Of course, it doesn't help that the lead character spent 80% of the episode unconscious... Shame, as the Ecclestone episodes were a real return to form, almost in line with the Tom Baker years.

Yeh Tom Baker hard act to follow. The entire series has been playing here every arvo for the last year. It's up to the guy after Colin Baker but I think not only is he the worst Doc but the series is quite poor with a really rough assistant. At least the episode I tried to watch the other day.
Haven't seen the chrissie special. I will have to get it - does it involve Santa?

Diplo said:
Actually, I think it was. And not "bad" in a good way, either. Of course, it doesn't help that the lead character spent 80% of the episode unconscious... Shame, as the Ecclestone episodes were a real return to form, almost in line with the Tom Baker years.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about half way through - "what the hell is Tennant doing sleeping through his first episode?". Rose carried most of that episode, particularly her grief at losing "her" version of the Doctor. Then I thought when Tennant got up and did his heroic fight thing, it looked like it was something written for Ecclestone - and something Ecclestone would have carried off better.

I dunno - I really liked Ecclestone. He brought a this kind of manic, intense, muscular on-screen presence with a lot of self-effacing humour. He wore clothes that showed he meant business, rather than one of the Doctor's "costumes".

Tennant seems to be okay, though they've aready got him in some kind of 70's dandy costume, but he just doesn't fill the screen like Ecclestone. It's like he's trying to be "zany", which I don't think fits that well. I thought he was most interesting at the end when he's menacing the Prime Minister.

I think I'll give Tennant his first series to see if he can grow into the part and make it his own. He was, after all the first choice of Russel T Davies for the part until Ecclestone barged his way in.

Did you see the Christmas special - the first David Tennant one? It wasn't bad, but I think the biggest problem is that Christopher Ecclestone will be a damn hard act to follow.

I thought it was very good. I even forgot about Eccleston while watching it. Eccleston was my first Doctor as I'm too young (22 now) to have seen any of the other Doctor Who's. Eccleston will always be the one to measure to since he was the first one I ever saw. It's the same thing with Brosnan as Bond. He was the first one I really ever saw.
________
Easy Vape Vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:
IgnorancePersonified said:
Yeh Tom Baker hard act to follow. The entire series has been playing here every arvo for the last year. It's up to the guy after Colin Baker but I think not only is he the worst Doc but the series is quite poor with a really rough assistant. At least the episode I tried to watch the other day.
Haven't seen the chrissie special. I will have to get it - does it involve Santa?

Oh gosh, Peri "American Busty Stereotype" Brown was one of the worst assistants, and her voice was so irritating. I loved Romana (especially Mary Tamm's Romana), and Leela when Tom Baker was the Dr. Dr Who was running in the US for a long time, I saw it growing up in the 70s. It happened to coincide with my horny adolescent phase. :)

I also liked Nyssa during Peter Davidson's run. Tegan was, well, she had nice legs after they switched her out of the airline stewardess outfit into a leather miniskirt and stilletos. :) But Nyssa was both smart and cute.

But man, after they introduced Turlough I was damn annoyed. I hated that guy.

I also hated Sylvester McCoy and Ace "let's add a Punk girl stereotype"

Yes... and be very careful when you put your presents beneath the tree :)

Y
I think I'll give Tennant his first series to see if he can grow into the part and make it his own.
He's been a very busy lad lately. I really quite liked the "Casanova" series that was aired on BBC Three last year.

DemoCoder said:
I loved Romana (especially Mary Tamm's Romana), and Leela when Tom Baker was the Dr. Dr Who was running in the US for a long time, I saw it growing up in the 70s. It happened to coincide with my horny adolescent phase. :)
Heh, I had a thing for Sarah Jane Smith in the 70's :LOL: Scarily she's apparently making a come-back in an epsiode in the current series (along with the annoying K-9 :oops: )

DemoCoder said:
Oh gosh, Peri "American Busty Stereotype" Brown was one of the worst assistants, and her voice was so irritating.

I liked Perri lol I only found out recently that she wasn't American but English and putting on the accent. Might explain why it was annoying for you cause it was for me too.
Sarah was pretty hot but I only really liked her the 2nd time I saw the series. The other one I liked was Jo with Jon Pertwee. the most annoying for me was the 1st assistant Susan. Cliqued scream and turn into a useless twat at anything type character.
Simon F said:
Yes... and be very careful when you put your presents beneath the tree

Damn now I really have to see it! but ... alas... not for a while here it seems.
With all the hype about America's acquisition of series one, there's been no official word on the status of the show's second series in Australia until now. ABC's Audience and Consumer Affairs has this to say about the series' status: "At this stage, the ABC has not yet secured the broadcast rights for the Doctor Who Christmas Special or the new series of Doctor Who. Having said this, it is highly likely that the ABC will purchase the rights and show the new series, and the Christmas special during 2006." (Thanks to Margaret Deutsch)

Last edited by a moderator:
DemoCoder said:
Oh gosh, Peri "American Busty Stereotype" Brown was one of the worst assistants, and her voice was so irritating. I loved Romana (especially Mary Tamm's Romana), and Leela when Tom Baker was the Dr. Dr Who was running in the US for a long time, I saw it growing up in the 70s. It happened to coincide with my horny adolescent phase. :)

I also liked Nyssa during Peter Davidson's run. Tegan was, well, she had nice legs after they switched her out of the airline stewardess outfit into a leather miniskirt and stilletos. :) But Nyssa was both smart and cute.

But man, after they introduced Turlough I was damn annoyed. I hated that guy.

I also hated Sylvester McCoy and Ace "let's add a Punk girl stereotype"
Oh yes, Mary Tamm was special. I liked both Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, but the decline started immediately with Tom Baker's retirement. I was never that keen on K-9.

Damn now I really have to see it! but ... alas... not for a while here it seems.
I'd be surprised if it Isn't Divx'ed on the 'net somewhere. I recorded it (via DVB-t so is MPEG2) but unfortunately missed the first couple of minutes :(

Back