whats your alcoholic drink of choice?

Yep 'fraid so..
I have drank the odd beer here and there though.. apparently you can drink at home under parents supervision or something odd.
This thread has so much information ill really have to study it like a hawk:smile:

The beer I got is a lager indeed.

Depends on my mood. I prefer a good red wine, but sometimes I like to drink a few cocktails like pina colada, white russian or zombie. If I'm just hanging around with my pals, I'll probably drink beer, Beck's preferred.

x
Nite_Hawk said:
Another drink to try is Akvavit (Aquavit). It is a very interesting scandinavian distilled liquor. Linie aquavit is shipped in wooden barrels from Norway and is required to cross the equator twice before it can be sold. The idea is that the rocking motion of the ship keeps the liquor constantly moving inside the barrels and it results in a much smoother and milder liquor.

Finally, high quality Gins, Vodkas, and Tequila can all make for good sipping drinks if chilled. For Gin I'd try bombay sapphire or tanq 10, vodka I'd try Level one or shakers. I'm not much of a tequila connaisseur, but my father-in-law is so I can ask him if you are interested.

And if you don't like the Akvavit, you can always use it to polish metal! :smile:

I'd recommend Plymouth Gin - very smooth and my favourite gin. As a bit of history for our American chums, the building in which this is distilled is the one where the Pilgrim Fathers spent their last night in England before setting sail on the Mayflower!

Nita_hawk: I disagree with your vodka references. The best is Absolute - out of competition, followed by Smirnoff.

AlphaWolf said:
LOL, we used to have friends send "Listerine" to us out Over There. My friend's mother sent him a fermentation kit. Other than that, we had to rely on the near-beers (like less than 1% alcohol content) they served at the MWR facilities. I came home for R&R on my 21st birthday and I got really wasted and enjoyed it. When I went back seeing near-beer was very depressing.:cry: What was worse was that on the way back at the airports we had so many opprotunities to have bought liquor, especially because we landed in Ireland for a layover at the Duty Free Store, and no one checked us once we landed in country.

The only other way to get liquor is to be buddies with contractors in the International Zone since they were allowed to drink and some places there sold liquor. Or even better, if you have British troops on your camp, they will likely have a pub set up, they did at the camp they were on near Basrah and Umm Qasr. Pretty much all the coalition forces there were allowed to drink. Which was probably why a lot of the females hung out with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beer: Heineken, Old Style, Strohs.

Mixed: Long Island Iced Tea, Rum and Coke, Gin and Tonic.

Shots: Tequilla, Apricot Brandy, Goldschlaggers.

Even though I haven't drank in years, thinking of those drinks I like brought back a lot of memories. :)

I spent years looking for a drink I could enjoy in large quantities when out and about since I've never acquired a taste for beer. In the end I've landed on spiced rum and coke in a tall glass with a medium amount of ice and a large slice of lime, preferably run around the inside lip of the glass. Gold Bacardi (Oro) also works. Both go down well and leave little in the way of hangover... :cool:

My latest is Crown Royal. After drinking cheap rum and coke all through college, Crown is like mana from heaven. :) Lately I've been mixing it with 7up, but it's great with coke or on the rocks. Pretty damn expensive though, but it's worth it.

Beer beer beer. The best I've ever drunk was in a pub in dublin whose name i can't remember. It was something like turkey's head or something. Dunno.

_xxx_ said:
Nita_hawk: I disagree with your vodka references. The best is Absolute - out of competition, followed by Smirnoff.

Absolute? er.. well, maybe... I'd rate it just under tanq sterling, and definately below top shelf vodkas like shakers, level 1, and belvedere. Still, it's not a bad choice. Most restaurants will probably give you this if you ask for "good" vodka. Smirnoff?!?! :oops: We used to use it to sanitize our wine fermentation jugs! It was cheaper than buying the equivelant in isopropyl! Smirnoff comes in plastic 1.5ltr bottles for like $10! You clearly need to try some better vodkas. :)

Nite_Hawk

JBark said:
My latest is Crown Royal. After drinking cheap rum and coke all through college, Crown is like mana from heaven. :) Lately I've been mixing it with 7up, but it's great with coke or on the rocks. Pretty damn expensive though, but it's worth it.

I actually like Crown Royal too. My wife picked it up once thinking it was going to be some kind of amaretto like liquor. Once she tried it she gave the bottle to me. :devilish: It's a pretty smooth whiskey. For some reason it's got a "girly" reputation around here, but I think it's because they don't realize it's actually whiskey!

Nite_Hawk

It has a girly reputation because it's a blended whiskey and most "real men" poo-poo that.

(I like CR too, and me friends always ripped me for it. :oops: )

digitalwanderer said:
It has a girly reputation because it's a blended whiskey and most "real men" poo-poo that.

There are some nice blends out there, but I also prefer single malts. My current fav between the affordable ones is Glenfiddich 12 yrs. or 18 yrs, a true bang for the buck (costs just a bit more than Jack Daniels and alike and is WAY better).

Samuel Adams Black Lager makes me happy. And it doesn't eat my wallet, either, as I am poor.

_xxx_ said:
There are some nice blends out there, but I also prefer single malts. My current fav between the affordable ones is Glenfiddich 12 yrs. or 18 yrs, a true bang for the buck (costs just a bit more than Jack Daniels and alike and is WAY better).
I like Glenfiddich, Wild Turkey is what I did when I was in a serious shot mood.

I totally forgot scotch. Put J&B & tonic on the list for me, it took me 2 years to aquire a taste for it but I'm now hooked. :)

Back