Josh Robinson's blog on PS3/XBOX360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almasy said:
Aside from one´s recomendation, just think a little. Kutaragi just mentioned that 4,000 dev kits were in the hands of developers. As evil/liar as he can be, that only 5 exist in north america is just beyond ridiculous. Many other facts get in the way of many of his different arguements, from his demo being the only real one at E3, to all companies just using 8,000 polygon characters with normal maps.

Uhhh, he's obviously talking about final dev kits.

We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago. Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit. Now I'll be honest with you. What most companies do is fake the entire demo. I mean they come up with some great visuals and neat tricks and scripted events. In the end however, its not a real time demo and its not running ON the actual box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:
And the information he stated was correct

The truth of the information is competely secondary to why he was fired, breaking an NDA or pissing off your employer often has nothing to do with the validity of the information you proclaim.

Hardknock said:
Ok..

1. The PS3 is behind schedule - PS3 release will be between May and December this year.

2. Launch games will be underwhelming. None of the games he's seen have met the standards of last years E3 "demos" (which he has verified that none but 1 or 2 were real-time).

3. Behind closed doors Sony employees think Xbox 360 is more powerful.

4. Only 5, let me repeat five, final dev kits have been released in the U.S.

So none of this was new and/or interesting?

I'm wondering how you managed to pull this out of what he said, that's quite rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardknock said:
Why does this thread have 2 stars? So because this has negative PS3 news (that actually turned out to be accurate) it gets 2 stars? This is the first inside info we've had on the PS3 in months. This should be a 4+ star thread...
Accurate. Hahaha. Oh Hardknock, you'll take anything.

Bobbler said:
I'm wondering how you managed to pull this out of what he said, that's quite a rich.

No it was a stretch to completely dismiss a man that works for sony, has industry connections and know's far more than the majority of posters on this site.

Hardknock said:
No it was a stretch to completely dismiss a man that works for sony, has industry connections and know's far more than the majority of posters on this site.
Right....

Was it actually confirmed this guy has been fired/his identity is correct? Probably the case but damn if it isn't easy to fake an identity on the net.

Your list is cute btw.
Heres mine:
1) On schedule according to all official reports and indications.

2) According to multiple sources, some independant, this isn't the case.

3) In public, MS thinks they're equal. Carmack thinks the PS3 is more powerful. Multiple developers and companies have gone on record saying PS3 is more powerful.

4) This was posted before final kits existed. Bzzzt.

Edit; You know you're setting yourself up for more falls. You had enough over the Xbox360, don't you get tired of being wrong on pro-360 FUD and anti-PS3 FUD?

1) On schedule according to all official reports and indications.

We'll see in a few months now won't we? Personally I feel they were trying to spoil 360's launch by saying they were launching in the Spring. Nothing more nothing less.

2) According to multiple sources, some independant, this isn't the case.

And what sources would these be?

3) In public, MS thinks they're equal. Carmack thinks the PS3 is more powerful. Multiple developers and companies have gone on record saying PS3 is more powerful.

Carmack said he thinks PS3 has more "peak power", but the 360 was easier to develop for. What does it matter if you have more theoretical power when it can never be utilized?

4) This was posted before final kits existed. Bzzzt.

Nobody knows when final kits went out.

Ignore Hardknocks, his agenda will always likely be anti-Sony.

BTW, I don't feel sorry for this guy, since he risked being owned when he posted wrongful information already.

Hardknock said:
We'll see in a few months now won't we? Personally I feel they were trying to spoil 360's launch by saying they were launching in the Spring. Nothing more nothing less.
We will see in February.

Hardknock said:
And what sources would these be?
Apart from nearly all Sony developers (inc. but not limited to KZ devs, Factor5 devs, Evolution Studios and Deano in this very thread), and independantly - Tommy Tallarico.

Hardknock said:
Carmack said he thinks PS3 has more "peak power", but the 360 was easier to develop for. What does it matter if you have more theoretical power when it can never be utilized?
Who says it can't be utilized?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When Microsoft can't decide whether the Xbox360 is weaker (E3/TGS), the same (pre-launch) or stronger (post-launch) than the PS3 you know it aint #3.

Hardknock said:
Nobody knows when final kits went out.
We know they weren't meant to be out 'til December.

OMFG exclusive Sony ahead of scedule. ;-)

BTOA said:
Ignore Hardknocks, his agenda will always likely be anti-Sony.

Oh please, I just spent over $800 on the PSP just last year.

PSP system
5 games
1 gig memory stick
3 UMD movies
System case + extra battery

And this was all at launch. Stop with the act, you don't know me at all.

I'm tired of the misinformation going around about the PS3 and it blowing the 360 away. The closer and closer we get to the PS3 launch (which again I'll be purchasing on the first day) you'll see that I was always right ;)

BTOA said:
BTW, I don't feel sorry for this guy, since he risked being owned when he posted wrongful information already.

Yeah champion him losing his job because his opinion didn't gel with your console of choice. :rolleyes:

If all his comments had been positive you people wouldn't have had a problem at all.

Hardknock said:
I'm tired of the misinformation going around about the PS3 and it blowing the 360 away. The closer and closer we get to the PS3 launch (which again I'll be purchasing on the first day) you'll see that I was always right ;)

You do a damn fine job of spreading misinformation around many forums about the PS3 in retaliation, I must say.
Btw, you weren't right on 1/4 of the posts I saw from you on Xbox360 ;-)

Hardknock said:
If all his comments had been positive you people wouldn't have had a problem at all.
This line of thinking is stupid. If he had've posted positive comments we would've brushed it off as "well thats expected he works for Sony". :rolleyes:

Same as why we don't take comments from SN systems, Factor 5, Evo Studios, Guerrila + more into serious consideration when comparing power.

Hardknock said:
Uhhh, he's obviously talking about final dev kits.
We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago. Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit. Now I'll be honest with you. What most companies do is fake the entire demo. I mean they come up with some great visuals and neat tricks and scripted events. In the end however, its not a real time demo and its not running ON the actual box.
Really don't know how you managed to interpret it that way, as he's unambiguously saying some time ago and first generation dev kit.

Please explain.

Nicked said:
You do a damn fine job of spreading misinformation around many forums about the PS3 in retaliation, I must say.
Btw, you weren't right on 1/4 of the posts I saw from you on Xbox360 ;-)

You can't find a single quote from me posting inaccurate information buddy. Nice how you try to discredit a man that worked for Sony, and now me because I speak the truth. This man has worked on the PS3 and has infinitely more knowledge than some f@nboy on a messageboard. He was not too impressed. Deal with it.

Nicked said:
This line of thinking is stupid. If he had've posted positive comments we would've brushed it off as "well thats expected he works for Sony". :rolleyes:

Same as why we don't take comments from SN systems, Factor 5, Evo Studios, Guerrila + more into serious consideration

Oh please, now you contridict yourself. Here you say you wouldn't trust a developer that is exclusive to sony.

Apart from nearly all Sony developers (inc. but not limited to KZ devs, Factor5 devs, Evolution Studios and Deano in this very thread), and independantly - Tommy Tallarico.

But here you'll believe a PS3 exclusive dev that hints their games are the same quality of their E3 demos... Riiiiiiight....

Hardknock said:
Oh please, I just spent over $800 on the PSP just last year.

PSP system
5 games
1 gig memory stick
3 UMD movies
System case + extra battery

And this was all at launch. Stop with the act, you don't know me at all.

What is that suppose to mean? Anyone can buy a product from a company they hate, but you on the other turn right around discrediting the PSP's 3D ability and claim that the DS's 3D capability are on par withthe PSP at RA.

Yeah champion him losing his job because his opinion didn't gel with your console of choice. :rolleyes:

Logical error. Does not compute. Please go back pages in this very thread and reread from the start. Thank you.
You should take one's suggestion and read the actual thread before trying to defend a guy who was mostly talking in regards to his limited abilities.

BTW. what are you trying to prove here anyways, since you claimed you haven't followed this thread? Because it looks like you're only trying to add some more comments to your anti-Sony agenda over the net?

rabidrabbit said:
Really don't know how you managed to interpret it that way, as he's unambiguously saying some time ago and first generation dev kit.

Please explain.

No problem, I'll explain. It really wasn't hard. If you notice he states:

We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago.

Then he states:

Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit.

Several does not equal "5" in my book. It's clear to me he was refering to two seperate dev kits.

BTOA said:
What is that suppose to mean? Anyone can buy a product from a company they hate, but you on the other turn right around discrediting the PSP's 3D ability and claim that the DS's 3D capability are on par with the PSP at RA.

WTH? You're confused, because I've stated no such thing. Hell I bought the PSP because of it's superior graphics to the DS!

And me spending $800 on a company I hate is just laughable, do you read what you type before hiting submit?

BTOA said:
You should take one's suggestion and read the actual thread before trying to defend a guy who was mostly talking in regards to his limited abilities.

BTW. what are you trying to prove here anyways, since you claimed you haven't followed this thread? Because it looks like you're only trying to add some more comments to your anti-Sony agenda over the net?

I've since read this thread from top to bottom. Pay attention.

Hardknock said:
WTH? You're confused, because I've stated no such thing. Hell I bought the PSP because of it's superior graphics to the DS!

And me spending $800 on a company I hate is just laughable, do you read what you type before hiting submit?
Product support does not always equal company support. How hard is that to understand?

I'll let this argument die, since you'll probably fail to understand.

I've since read this thread from top to bottom. Pay attention.
If you would have read what was posted from Mr. Robinson blog. You would understand that he is very limited by what he knows.

BTOA said:
If you would have read what was posted from Mr. Robinson blog. You would understand that he is very limited by what he knows.

I've read his blog, and I've also read his resume. In case you missed it:

PROFILE:

I am a 27 year old 3D artist with 9 years of professional experience. I have been very busy this last year trying to make a name for myself within the industry. I am even wrapping up the last few chapters of an "Essentials" book for a major 3D application that will be announced in the very near future. After the book is complete I will be releasing a series of instructional DVD’s through the same publishing company.

As busy as I am on the side with my teaching and writing I have never stopped working. I have done high and low polygon production work. I've developed for the PC, Portable Play Station (PSP), Playstation 2 and the soon to be released Playstation 3. I have never focused on one aspect of the industry. As a result, I feel I am extremely rounded and very comfortable creating anything that is required of me.

TECHNICAL SKILLS:

3D Studio Max
Silo
Maya
Photoshop
Multiple Proprietary Software Packages that go hand and hand with my work at Sony.

EXPERIENCE:

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT

My responsibilities at Sony vary from month to month. I can be creating organic character models one day and then texture painting, creating special effects or lighting a scene the next day. I have a wide range of talents and I have had my hand in almost every aspect of production. My productivity is high and as a result I tend to get moved to teams that need help. This has allowed me to spend a lot of time on multiple projects within the company.

Playstation3 Engine Demo: (High quality cinematic to be viewed in HD at Electronics Convention for SONY).

PSP: Untold Legends (Created 4 levels in an 8 week period to help team make their projected ship date.)

PSP: Untold Legends 2: (Character Models from Concept).

PSP: Title to be announced (Lead Character Modeler/terrain generation and texturing)

PC: Everquest 2 (Character Development Team)

PC: War Game (Lead Character Modeler)

PC: Planetside (lighting, character creation, Weapon creation, environment modeling, texturing, FX)

NUFX (contract company creating games for EA Sports)

March Madness 2002: (my responsibilities were increased for this product to include character work as well as the work I did on the previous title. I relocated for my position at SONY however before I could complete the bulk of production).

March Madness 2001: (I was responsible for creating all the stadiums, environments and background characters from start to finish)

NBA Street: (environment modeling)

ENVISION DIGITAL IMAGING

I was responsible for creating photo-realistic renders and cinematic fly throughs for architecture companies. I worked on a very small team, which allowed my skills to flourish. I was modeling, creating special fx (when needed) texturing, animating, video editing, composting, managing tens of thousands of frames, foley art, video editing and sound editing all the way up to the finished product.

EDUCATION

I originally enrolled to get a Bachelors degree from the Illinois Institute of Art. However I was working professionally before I had even finished up my Associates deg. I decided to finish out my associates degree and continue working within the industry. I never looked back. I graduated in 1998 with an associate's degree in Computer Animation from the Illinois Institute of Art.

The man doesn't seem to be "limited" at all.

Hardknock said:
I've read his blog, and I've also read his resume. In case you missed it:

The man doesn't seem to be "limited" at all.
We were the only company to my knowledge that showed something that ran it live on the box.
After reading this from the first post about Robinson's blog, he automatically loses all crediblity afterwards. How hard is that to understand?

In a court of law, he would lose all credibility and his comments afterward would not be consider as any form of hard evidence.

uh... you just don't see the word

FIRST GENERATION DEV KIT

Anyway, was he talking about two different devkits, the one being the batch of 5 that could be final dev kits, and the rest being the "several" that clearly are first generation dev kits.
He's not continuing the sentence where he talks about these assumed final dev kits, he's not saying they are the first final devkits delivered.

I really don't know, but they might as well already have received one or two "final" devkits earlier, and that one of five would be just that, one of five devkits delivered to US.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony didn't deliver all those devkits from 4000 that are supposed to land in US at once, in one plane or boat (what if that plane crashed? all those devkits would be gone :) ), and how's it possible this guy (an artist) knows so exactly how many kits exactly US devs have received and when. Even with many real developer friends I'm sure all he would get are rumours and guesses, to have an exact nuber as that he'd need to have a contact in every developing company in the US who knows how many devkits the company has received so he could get reliable data.

Anyway, the "information" that can be extracted from that "article" is vague to say the least. Not worthy of a three star thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back