Microsoft screwing up format unification says Next-Gen

ROG27

Regular
Why people hate this company:

Link:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1983&Itemid=2

Excerpt:

"The movie business has been keen to avoid a split next generation DVD format, generally opting for either Sony's Blu-ray or Toshiba's HD-DVD, with the former taking a lead in recent months.

However, the prospect of millions of Xbox 360 owners demanding movies for their drives, and adding a surge to that format, has caused some to pause and consider two formats for movie releases as a possibility, albeit one they'd rather live without."

Um, anyone who tells you that one or the other party is more responsible than the other for the ensuing format war, is smoking crack.

The blu-ray camp and the HD-DVD camp are both responsible.

Your post is an example of the reason why people hate fan-persons.

Well, I don't know if it'll have all *that* much of an effect, but if it does I mean that's what Microsoft was going for anyway... so good blow against Sony on MS' part if it really ends up fracturing Hollywood once more.

For my part though I don't think the camps that are soley in BD's zone will move to include HD-DVD however, at least not without more to motivate them than this announcement.

ROG27 said:
Why people hate this company:

Link:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1983&Itemid=2

Excerpt:

"The movie business has been keen to avoid a split next generation DVD format, generally opting for either Sony's Blu-ray or Toshiba's HD-DVD, with the former taking a lead in recent months.

However, the prospect of millions of Xbox 360 owners demanding movies for their drives, and adding a surge to that format, has caused some to pause and consider two formats for movie releases as a possibility, albeit one they'd rather live without."
Boohoo, the Movie(truly a evil biz) industry has to make two discs.:rolleyes: Yeah thats why people hate MS... I shed no tear for any suit in the "enertainment" biz.

Joe DeFuria said:
Um, anyone who tells you that one or the other party is more responsible than the other for the ensuing format war, is smoking crack.

The blu-ray camp and the HD-DVD camp are both responsible.

Your post is an example of the reason why people hate fan-persons.

I'm no fan...I just don't like Microsoft...

If you were to name me anything...please call me a Microsoft Hater...I generally have no problem with any other company.

Why MS is bad...
-They, as a company, generally try to monopolize everything.
-They can't stay in the industry they started in (they were never an entertainment company to begin with)...they have to expand and engulf and counterstrike everything just because they have deep pockets
-They will have a big hand in perpetuating the format war (as according to the article)...if they just stayed out of this console format war, hollywood studios would have mostly opted for BD and the supposed format war would have ended pretty quickly and painlessly...now we have this crap.

Sadly, from the connotations of your posts, Joe...you sound like a MS fan

Don't call me out just because I'm a hater :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean don't get me wrong...when the price of xbox360 comes down I'll probably buy one...I just hate the company...they are so slimey and out of touch with what people want (aside from a very small minority of hardcore users).

And, wholey aside from videogames...they are potentially going to be screwing up my movie collection, which they better dare not f' with! Now that really is what gets me heated. :devilish:

Would you like to have an investment of a couple hundred, or even thousands of dollars in danger? I never buy dedicated players anymore because why get one when i can kill 2 birds with one stone and get a console with an integrated next-gen format in it, saving lots of money in the process.

For Microsoft this is an afterthought...and if they swung the console war..which is generally going in the BD direction at this point...then I would easily point the finger at them for this. If they had planned this all along...I (the movie studios, and many other people, I'm sure) certainly would have been no where as mad as they are likely going to be.

ROG27 said:
-They can't stay in the industry they started in (they were never an entertainment company to begin with)...they have to expand and engulf and counterstrike everything just because they have deep pockets
-They will have a big hand in perpetuating the format war (as according to the article)...if they just stayed out of this console format war, hollywood studios would have mostly opted for BD and the supposed format war would have ended pretty quickly and painlessly...now we have this crap.
I'm sorry--were you talking about Sony? Because this reads like a slam against Sony.

.Sis

Sis said:
I'm sorry--were you talking about Sony? Because this reads like a slam against Sony.

.Sis

how?

cite your evidence

1.sony has always coexisted with competition in their respective market...panasonic, samsung, etc., etc.
2.sony has always been an entertainment company.
3.BD is a technically superior format, as well as being comprably priced...and is more future-proof format than HD-DVD...regardless of the companies in the consortiums that support these formats...you should want BD to win on technical merit/value alone.

That being said...microsoft is pretty much just doing this to be vindictive...they could have just as easily been on the blu-ray consortium.

ROG27 said:
I'm no fan...I just don't like Microsoft...
Thus you don't have any credibility. If you believe in "evil" corporations, then you must believe in "good" corporations which is stupid. If you were an MS shareholder, they would be the best company in the world to you since every move they made would be in looking out for your interests.

I generally haven't been a fan of the Playstation brand, but when it comes to other Sony products, I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat. I own a Sony HTS and I'll probably buy a Sony HDTV to go with it. If PS3 is a great BD-Player, I'd probably pick one up too.

You probably own a useless Linux PC just to prove you hate Microsoft. When I was a CS student, I felt the same way as I dual booted into my Linux box, but when I graduated and learned to think for myself and stopped reading anti-MS propaganda, I went back to Windows and now I'm actually able to get shit done instead of writing buggy-ass kernels just so I could say to myself "Open-Source 4 Life! MS sux!"

AlphaWolf said:
I believe he is pointing out that most of your objections against MS could just as easily be directed at Sony.
Indeed. And for the record, it is VERY smart to diversify, as Sony has done and as MS attempts to do.

And the goal of any company should be to succeed to the point of monopolization...

.Sis

ROG27 said:
I mean don't get me wrong...when the price of xbox360 comes down I'll probably buy one...I just hate the company...they are so slimey and out of touch with what people want (aside from a very small minority of hardcore users).

And, wholey aside from videogames...they are potentially going to be screwing up my movie collection, which they better dare not f' with! Now that really is what gets me heated. :devilish:

Would you like to have an investment of a couple hundred, or even thousands of dollars in danger? I never buy dedicated players anymore because why get one when i can kill 2 birds with one stone and get a console with an integrated next-gen format in it, saving lots of money in the process.

For Microsoft this is an afterthought...and if they swung the console war..which is generally going in the BD direction at this point...then I would easily point the finger at them for this. If they had planned this all along...I (the movie studios, and many other people, I'm sure) certainly would have been no where as mad as they are likely going to be.

Microsoft isn't really screwing anything up, its coming from both sides, both competing companies are pushing thier own technology to get returns on what they invested. Its up to us and secondary (movie) industry which standard will be adopted. If MS opted to invest with Sony or vica versa then I'm sure you would see a push in the same direction, but since they are rivals, they won't want to make money and give money to the competing company. Later on I'm sure there will be drives that will be able to read both formats, its only a matter of time. Since standalone HD or Blu-Ray players aren't avialable yet its goin to be awhile before movies will come out on these formats,

Razor1 said:
Microsoft isn't really screwing anything up, its coming from both sides, both competing companies are pushing thier own technology to get returns on what they invested. Its up to us and secondary (movie) industry which standard will be adopted. If MS opted to invest with Sony or vica versa then I'm sure you would see a push in the same direction, but since they are rivals, they won't want to make money and give money to the competing company.

Can we for one moment not talk about what's good for these companies.

What is good for me is what is important.

And I don't believe in any good companies...I'm an equal opportunity hater.

There are bad companies and there are evil companies.

Microsoft just falls in the tar pit. :devilish:

Rog there's really no point in getting upset with MS over this. MS is trying to excercise it's influence in the CE area here, but at the same time we wouldn't have had a format war *at all* if Sony didn't go DVD Forum renegade.

Now, for what it's worth I would prefer Blu-ray to win-out. That would work well for me, and I think it's the better format to boot. But you can't blame MS for doing this; it serves their interests just like it served Sony's to say 'no' to HD-DVD a couple of years ago.

Hopefully one will win deciseively quickly rather than slowly, but both camps have enough cards to play that it looks like a trench war of sorts.

In other news: Samsung prepares combo drive

So what does this even mean? Is it possible that if the war isn't won decisively in the movie space in the coming months, that regardless of an eventual winner, both formats might endure for years on the PC?

When combo drives start coming out en masse, that's almost a default assurance that both formats will survive to one extent or another. At least for now it's only Samsung...

AlphaWolf said:
I believe he is pointing out that most of your objections against MS could just as easily be directed at Sony.
QFT.

I'm sure there are people in the HD-DVD camp that believes Sony is the one "screwing up" format unification.

ROG27 said:
Why MS is bad...
Monopolies aren't illegal. Abuse of monopoly power is, and MS has been justly criticized for such. But name another large company that doesn't have desires to attain monopoly status? Sony sure as hell does, whether we are talking about in general or especially if we are talking about a more specific market like consoles.
Name one company that prospers for sitting on their laurels. Any company with good leadership will expand into markets when profitable, retract from markets when it diffuses their focus or has a bleak long term outlook, and do everything possible to consume as large a share of the markets they participate in.
HD-DVD was first to the table with numerous supporters. Sony wasn't happy with living with only a moderate piece of the pie... they wanted more, and once again created their own competing format. More of a gamble, more potential payback. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and BRD has more supporters, and you want to blame the HD-DVD supporters (of which MS is only a participant, hardly the leader like Sony is for BRD) for the impending format war?

Alpha_Spartan said:
Thus you don't have any credibility. If you believe in "evil" corporations, then you must believe in "good" corporations which is stupid. If you were an MS shareholder, they would be the best company in the world to you since every move they made would be in looking out for your interests.

I generally haven't been a fan of the Playstation brand, but when it comes to other Sony products, I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat. I own a Sony HTS and I'll probably buy a Sony HDTV to go with it. If PS3 is a great BD-Player, I'd probably pick one up too.

You probably own a useless Linux PC just to prove you hate Microsoft. When I was a CS student, I felt the same way as I dual booted into my Linux box, but when I graduated and learned to think for myself and stopped reading anti-MS propaganda, I went back to Windows and now I'm actually able to get shit done instead of writing buggy-ass kernels just so I could say to myself "Open-Source 4 Life! MS sux!"

I could point to your tag alone to show you are a "fan", or biased...

So where is your credibility?

Don't be so fast to pull the trigger my friend

Why are you attacking me...I'm not flaming about videogames...

I'm pissed because the format to buy is not so clear-cut anymore...and as of this point in time...it's microsoft's fault.

ROG27 said:
2.sony has always been an entertainment company.
Er, no. Sony bought into the entertainment industry, according to wikipedia, back in 1988.

The other points are just tired arguments that aren't worth going over again..

.Sis

ROG27 said:
I'm pissed because the format to buy is not so clear-cut anymore...and as of this point in time...it's microsoft's fault.

No, its hollywood's fault. If they would have agreed on a standard from the beginning there would have been no opportunity for these large companies to take the sides that suit their interests, which is all ANY of these companies are doing - what suits THEM (and their shareholders) best.

Back