Toshiba Reveals New Line of MBX Powered Portable Media Players

Lazy8s

Veteran
Toshiba has launched a gigabeat S Series of PMPs with Freescale's i.MX31 application processor, an MBX Lite solution. They feature hard drives as 30GB and 60GB models, a 2.4" 320x240 screen, and Windows Mobile Portable Media Center software. These devices mark the first announced products to use the i.MX31.
Toshiba Launches gigabeat(R) Portable Media Players Powered by Freescale and Microsoft Technology

2006 International CES
Booth #30718

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 4, 2006--Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) (NYSE:FSL.B)

-- Freescale's chips and Microsoft Windows Mobile Portable Media Center software deliver rich mobile entertainment experience with easy movie downloads and spectacular video quality

Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C., ("Toshiba") has launched the gigabeat S Series -- a new line of hard disc drive (HDD) digital video and audio players powered by mobile technology from Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) (NYSE:FSL.B) and Microsoft Corporation.

Based on Freescale's multimedia processing and power management technology and Microsoft Windows Mobile Portable Media Center software, the gigabeat S Series delivers enough playback time to enjoy a full-length feature movie and more.

"Freescale's multimedia applications processors and power management chip are being designed into more and more high performance mobile entertainment devices such as the exhilarating new Toshiba gigabeat S Series video players," said Franz Fink, senior vice president and general manager of Freescale's Wireless and Mobile Systems Group. "Freescale's technology platform gives portable device designers flexibility to be creative with product designs and features. The result is an extraordinary audio and video user experience, in a compact form factor at a price point consumers can afford."

Part of Toshiba's gigastyle(R) family of products, the new S Series portable media players (PMPs) -- in both 30GB and 60GB models -- utilize 1.8" hard drives for storing a wide variety of multimedia content, including audio, video, photos and recorded television programs. Freescale's i.MX31 multimedia applications processor provides the stellar video quality for the gigabeat S Series, which is powered by Freescale's MC13783 power management chip.

Users of the gigabeat S Series PMPs are able to easily download and manage multimedia content. Windows Mobile enables the gigabeat S Series Portable Media Center to serve as a seamless extension of Windows XP Media Center Edition PCs or Xbox360 consoles, giving users the ability to plug in, synchronize and play their multimedia content at any time and anywhere.

"The gigabeat S series is an example of the kind of innovative hardware Microsoft collaborates with our partners to build by offering software that's powerful, yet extremely flexible," said John Pollard, senior director in the Mobile & Embedded Devices Division at Microsoft. "Freescale's technology further enhances the digital media experience for Portable Media Centers by offering high-quality video and audio at the lowest possible power consumption for ideal user enjoyment."

Toshiba gigabeat S Series -- a complete portable entertainment solution

Although small in stature, the new Toshiba gigabeat S Series PMPs offer unprecedented portable entertainment options in a device of this type. With a large 2.4" diagonally measured TFT QVGA LCD screen, and a resolution of 320 x 240, the new gigabeat models feature among the best picture and video quality available today. Both models play digital music, display photos and video, and support WMA Lossless, WMA, MP3, WAV, WMV, and JPEG. The PMPs also feature a new "Plus Touch" design that is push-activated with deeper recessed buttons that have a soft touch for precise and easy navigation.

Freescale's i.MX31 multimedia applications processor

The Freescale i.MX31 multimedia applications processor is ideal for power-thirsty applications such as video and audio media players, mobile gaming consoles and GPS systems, as well as smartphones, PDAs, ultra portable handheld computers and other wireless mobile devices. The i.MX31 processor includes leading power management, security management, digital rights management, and image processing technology, a formidable combination of features OEMs desire to drive high-performance video, audio and 3D gaming content on wireless mobile devices. The processors are designed with Freescale's Smart Speed Technology that enables ultra low power consumption and performance equivalent to processors with much higher MHz.

Freescale's MC13783 power management device

The Freescale MC13783 power management device is the world's most highly integrated power management and user interface (PMUI) chip for voice recording, audio/music playback and other media features in today's smart mobile devices. With this single-chip device, designers can optimize system power and drive a variety of powerful audio and multimedia features in products such as 3G phones, mobile gaming units and portable media players. The power management device can reduce component count and board area by as much as 50 percent compared to many current implementations.

Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Center

Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Centers provide a familiar yet simple way for users to manage and enjoy their multimedia content. By helping users to make anyplace their entertainment space, the Portable Media Center gives them the power to enjoy a wide selection of high-quality recorded television, premium movies, music and photos. Microsoft's patented Twist Navigation helps users easily find the content they're looking for on the device, utilizing the power of the hard drive to scroll quickly through large media libraries.

About Freescale Semiconductor

Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. (NYSE:FSL) (NYSE:FSL.B) is a global leader in the design and manufacture of embedded semiconductors for the automotive, consumer, industrial, networking and wireless markets. Freescale became a publicly traded company in July 2004 after more than 50 years as part of Motorola, Inc. The company is based in Austin, Texas, and has design, research and development, manufacturing or sales operations in more than 30 countries. Freescale, a member of the S&P 500(R), is one of the world's largest semiconductor companies with 2004 sales of $5.7 billion (USD).
Since Toshiba is willing to outsource for MBX performance, they should just become an MBX licensee finally and produce their own processors in-house.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's my understanding that in this case Toshiba has licensed more than just the MBX part of that SoC. Licensing now such a sollution saves in the very least time.

I think Ailuros just meant that buying the whole, completed chips from Freescale might make more sense now than making their own MBX processors since they missed the opportunity to license MBX early enough to be ready for this.

Lazy8s said:
I think Ailuros just meant that buying the whole, completed chips from Freescale might make more sense now than making their own MBX processors since they missed the opportunity to license MBX early enough to be ready for this.

The Toshiba division making these devices is separate from Toshiba semiconductor.

Toshiba semiconductor already has their own OpenGL ES graphics core shipping in their T4G and T5G IC's. No reason to license MBX. Likely it was just easier for the PMP device to be built around the Freescale chip than the T4G/T5G type of chip (which could be due to SW, appropriateness of external interfaces, etc.).

Lazy8s said:

Exactly.

...Likely it was just easier for the PMP device to be built around the Freescale chip than the T4G/T5G type of chip (which could be due to SW, appropriateness of external interfaces, etc.).

a. There were 2 further Top10 semiconductor manufacturers mentioned in IMG's past PR announcements, which apparently were negotiating with them for MBX licenses. The number got stuck at the former 6 and Toshiba licensing from Freescale sounds too much of a coincidence to me.

b. The above just tells me that sollution X was less flexible than licensed sollution Y. What am I missing?

Ailuros said:
a. There were 2 further Top10 semiconductor manufacturers mentioned in IMG's past PR announcements, which apparently were negotiating with them for MBX licenses. The number got stuck at the former 6 and Toshiba licensing from Freescale sounds too much of a coincidence to me.

You can call it a coincidence, but it is a known fact that Toshiba already has an in-house OpenGL ES graphics engine (not MBX), and it is already shipping in phones.

b. The above just tells me that sollution X was less flexible than licensed sollution Y. What am I missing?

No, what it tells you is that the choice of IC for PMP has nothing to do with 3D, or MBX. You throw in the word "licensed solution" as if the MBX license has something to do with it.

This is similar to your comments on PepperPad in the other thread. I talked to them at CES yesterday, and their use of the Intel 2700G has nothing to do with the MBX core inside. The 3D is not even used. They use 2700G because it's an LCD controller that is a companion to the Xscale part they chose, and its capable of driving an SVGA screen. The fact that the MBX core happens to be on the same chip is incidental given that it's disabled (like the SH-Mobile chips from Renesas that have the MBX disabled).

SiBoy said:
The fact that the MBX core happens to be on the same chip is incidental given that it's disabled (like the SH-Mobile chips from Renesas that have the MBX disabled).

Why would they disable it? Save power? Save on the licensing?

Lazy8s said:
Regardless of just 3D, they're choosing application processors with MBX over those without.

Uh yea, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of it if the companies are disabling it, is it?

So again I ask, why would companies use MBX-disabled chips? There has to be a reason and I'm curious, as I am sure you are as well.

that is nonesence, Toshiba could've just used the i.MX31L chip which doesn't have MBX-lite as part of the SoC. Also which phones have the Renesas SH-M3 chipset insde and are not utilised? FOMA 901i?

MBX is the defacto standard for mobile graphics api's and will be inside the majority of SoCs in the coming year or so. The is no denying this.

roninja said:
that is nonesence, Toshiba could've just used the i.MX31L chip which doesn't have MBX-lite as part of the SoC. Also which phones have the Renesas SH-M3 chipset insde and are not utilised? FOMA 901i?

MBX is the defacto standard for mobile graphics api's and will be inside the majority of SoCs in the coming year or so. The is no denying this.

Uh, ok. You're not answering my question either so let me try again.

IF Sis is correct that MBX is indeed disabled on some/many of these products, can you tell me WHY that is?

That's ALL I'm looking for, a reason WHY.

I'm sure it's a fabulous chip(set). Hell, I've even recommended the Dell Axim because of it so I'm just a bit shocked to discover it might not even be enabled.

well I guess in a way i'm asking the same thing would be interesting to know why as well instead of being cryptic just say so?

roninja said:
well I guess in a way i'm asking the same thing would be interesting to know why as well instead of being cryptic just say so?

Err, not sure if you're referring to me or not but earlier I asked(which already was the second time)

So again I ask, why would companies use MBX-disabled chips? There has to be a reason and I'm curious, as I am sure you are as well.

Ty said:
That's ALL I'm looking for, a reason WHY.

Simple, these SoC's serve a lot of purposes, only one of which is graphics, and very few vendors have parts that are 100% identical with the exception of MBX not being present.

SH-Mobile3 is a good example. If you want the same processor speed, etc., but don't care about MBX, which part do you buy? No choice, you are stuck buying the one with MBX.

Same for users of the Intel 2700G that want a VGA LCD controller to put next to their Xscale. Which one do they buy? They're stuck with the 2700G (as PepperPad was). They don't care about enabling MBX, all they wanted was Intel's display controller.

SiBoy said:
Simple, these SoC's serve a lot of purposes, only one of which is graphics, and very few vendors have parts that are 100% identical with the exception of MBX not being present.

SH-Mobile3 is a good example. If you want the same processor speed, etc., but don't care about MBX, which part do you buy? No choice, you are stuck buying the one with MBX.

Same for users of the Intel 2700G that want a VGA LCD controller to put next to their Xscale. Which one do they buy? They're stuck with the 2700G (as PepperPad was). They don't care about enabling MBX, all they wanted was Intel's display controller.

Ok, you're answering my latest reply which has a slightly altered version of my primary question. Let me clarify.

WHY did they bother to disable MBX?
  • Is it because with MBX disabled, it's lower power consumption?
  • Is it because with MBX disabled, it's a cheaper licensing fee?
That's what I'm trying to get at. I'm not asking, 'why buy an MBX SoC if you're going to disable MBX'? I'm asking "why disable it in the first place?"

Buyers of an MBX application processor like SH-Mobile3 from a company like Renesas apparently did have the option of a similar, non-MBX processor (without even considering the competition from other chip brands) of which the 3D core was the biggest difference: the SH-Mobile3A.

SiBoy said:
This is similar to your comments on PepperPad in the other thread. I talked to them at CES yesterday, and their use of the Intel 2700G has nothing to do with the MBX core inside. The 3D is not even used. They use 2700G because it's an LCD controller that is a companion to the Xscale part they chose, and its capable of driving an SVGA screen. The fact that the MBX core happens to be on the same chip is incidental given that it's disabled (like the SH-Mobile chips from Renesas that have the MBX disabled).

Where did I comment on Pepperpad in any other thread?

Lazy8s said:
Buyers of an MBX application processor like SH-Mobile3 from a company like Renesas apparently did have the option of a similar, non-MBX processor (without even considering the competition from other chip brands) of which the 3D core was the biggest difference: the SH-Mobile3A.

Interesting. But surely it couldn't be a disabled MBX that made the difference. It was some other price, performance, power, or supply issue. Otherwise you're making the argument that yes, a disabled MBX is precisely WHY they choose it and that hardly makes any sense. That'd be like me buying a 486SX over a DX because the former had a disabled math co-processor.

What are the differences btwn the two?

Back