fight night 3 demo for 360 on live

Originally Posted by Jogi
I have played this demo for couple of hours and sadly overall this game seems to be bit worse than earlier two.

+ nice textures
+ nice models
+ nice HDR + bloom
+ nice motion blur (in the game..)

- 30fps in fighting games, WTF
- somewhat stiff animation
- better blending between different action animations could help
- guys move like they were boxing underwater
- sluggish control -> lag between action & visuals

Nice frosting but this game sucks compared to earlier versions. :cry:

scooby_dooby said:
'

i couldn't disagree more. the game is faster than previous version, more hectic, and more balanced beause haymakers are much harder to throw now.

the controls are spot on, and there is no problem with the punch speed at all. Roy Jones is FAST! I would say you are having problems with teh punch control, try using the face buttons instead.

this is much improved over the previous versions, and will make for much more visceral, and exciting fights with my friends. This is the best boxing game ever made bar none.

Scooby and san gral you are very right. The more time I spent playing the game (and choosing a better control system (<config 3> works best for me... there are six to choose from), the more responsive and faster the game got. Also someone mentioned repeating knockout slomo animations.... knockouts from either side replay ad nauseum, but I have conducted both body blow and uppercut knockouts and those different types are reflected in the slowmo replays.

As far animations are concerned... no problem here. The animations are complete and fluid... I've noticed that what happens is this... either the opposing characters punch disrupts your players animation (which it should), or the camera moves suddenly in a dramatic fashion disorienting you for a split second. The animations themselves though are not jerky whatsoever. You may not like them or the transitions between them (this isnt earthworm jim animations for gods sake) but they are full natural boxing motions and arcs. I used to box a lil bit back in the day, heh.

Real issues

0 - clipping too much - way too much
1 - ragdoll physics suck everywhere all the time. Even lifeless people dont fall like ragdolls. bodies have several motions and arcs that limbs fly in and these are NOT well reflected in most ragdoll animations, including in this game.
2 - The ring itself is a TERRIBLE approximation of a ring. It seems more composed of polygon elements rather than as a unit. The ropes seem unconnected to the posts which seem unconnected to the ring. The ropse themselves suffer from bad animation, clipping, and non existent physics.

Clean those things up and you'll have one fine game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw someone playing at the 360 booths. Looked pretty good to me. More people seemed to want to play that zombie game and DOA4 though.

blakjedi said:
Real issues

0 - clipping too much - way too much
1 - ragdoll physics suck everywhere all the time. Even lifeless people dont fall like ragdolls. bodies have several motions and arcs that limbs fly in and these are NOT well reflected in most ragdoll animations, including in this game.
2 - The ring itself is a TERRIBLE approximation of a ring. It seems more composed of polygon elements rather than as a unit. The ropes seem unconnected to the posts which seem unconnected to the ring. The ropse themselves suffer from bad animation, clipping, and non existent physics.

Clean those things up and you'll have one fine game.

Hopefully these will be fixed for release but I don't have much faith. 0 and 1 have been big issues since the first fight night.

The replays could also use a lot of work. Often times the camera is poorly positioned, the replay is cut short or it just doesn't show anything interesting.

Tap In said:
I can live with the somewhat stiff animations but what bugs me is the camera angle.

Give me control of my perspective. I'd prefer to be fighting from an over the shoulder 3rd person (or even first person) perspective.

Maybe the full game will have camera options?

All of the Fight Night games have had options to play from different angles. When I'd pretty much mastered the game, and could knockout heavy-weights using light-weights, I switched to playing with different angles. My favourite was the floating camera above the ring. It doesn't follow your player, so you can circle to different sides of the screen. I found it made blocking a little more confusing, so it added a new challenge to the game. Plus it made me adjust to fighting from the right side of the screen, helpin' me out when I had to fight someone else as player 2.

And for all of you talking about using the buttons for punching .... SHAME ON YOU! Seriously .... it's all about the analog sticks. You guys are all amateurs :)

SanGreal said:
Hopefully these will be fixed for release but I don't have much faith. 0 and 1 have been big issues since the first fight night.

The replays could also use a lot of work. Often times the camera is poorly positioned, the replay is cut short or it just doesn't show anything interesting.

My biggest gripe was that the punches didn't look like they had enough wait to them. The characters look so stiff at times, that you don't really see the strength in the blows. I watch a lot of boxing, and they're still quite a ways off of a true representation of the sport, in terms of athleticism and strength. The games are probably my favourite fighting games of all time. They are pretty impressive. I was hoping that FNR3 would seem less like a linear sequal to the other two, and would seem like more of a complete overhaul, but that's never been the way EA works, especially on a yearly cycle. I'm sure if I had an xbox360, I'd be all over the game, but it's not enough to convince me to go and buy the system, like I thought it might be. I'm sure FNR4 will be a big title for me.

I don't watch a lot of real boxing, so I honestly don't know how realistic it is. It is a lot of fun though. The complaint about punches carrying a lot of weight is pretty widespread, it's not just you, but I don't see it. When my boxer is not fatigued I really feel the power behind the punches -- especially playing as hopkins. I can really tell when I'm swinging too much or taking a beating by the way my punches weaken. If I went back and played the old fight nights again I'd probably notice it, but I haven't played those in awhile.

Wtf do you really controll the boxer, the controll sucked bigtime and felt wrong(like you didnt play the guy).
But the boxers looked *really* nice. I probably missed it but there wasnt any replay mode in the demo?

I just played 8 rounds of FNR2 (PS2) and it is really more responsive and do not have feeling boxing under water.. ( yes,I was using total punch control) . So scooby_dooby, have you played this FNR2?, IMO it really feels better than the FNR3.

I played round 1 and round 2 extensively. Many a drunk night playing fight night with buddies in my house...

Trust me, round 3 is better, they've tweaked camera angles so they're constantly changing as you punch. they've added faster combos so if you punch fast enough you can have some serious speed, they've removed the hud making the whole thing more realistic, they've made haymakers much slower but also added one-punch super haymakers, so it's extremely well balanced.

You're not boxing in water. If they were to make these boxers any faster it would not be realistic. These guys are fast, they dodge fast, they hit fast, it's YOU. I repeat....its YOU.

My only complaints are the blocking, no fighter in the world pauses THAT long after being blocked. It looks dumb to have jones sitting there for 2 seconds with his mouth open, it's a carry over from FN1 and I hope they make it more realistic, it throws off an otherwise great boxer.

Also, the animations when dodging are robotic, they don't transition well, however this was a probelm with FN1, then FN2 fixed it and they were smooth, so I assume that's just cause it's a demo, and they'll probably fix that.

- oh and can we please stop having 'reviews' from people who've never played fight night before? don't complain about the controls, there are not something you pick up right away, it takes time.

overclocked said:
Wtf do you really controll the boxer, the controll sucked bigtime and felt wrong(like you didnt play the guy).
But the boxers looked *really* nice. I probably missed it but there wasnt any replay mode in the demo?

The control in the Fight Night series is actually very good, and probably one of the best approximations of a sport that I've actually seen. The way you can control your torso and arms for blocking independantly is amazing, as well as mixing in punches while moving and dodging. It takes some time getting used to, but it's really very good once you've got the hang of it.

The only thing Fight Night is missing is you can't really pin a guy on the ropes. You can try to cut him off to keep him by the ropes, but it's nearly impossible to keep a guy there. There also isn't really any in-fighting or hitting during clinches.

They also only show replays between rounds, during knockdowns and at the end of the fight. In FNR2, if you played from some of the alternate camera angles, you didn't see any replays.

Wow--this game is FUN. I'm a big boxing fan, even though I haven't played the other Fight Nights, so when I first knocked down Hopkins (a 1-2 combination) I had a HUGE adrenaline rush, especially since the follow up hit Hopkins when his ass was half-way to the floor.

Some of the animation needs work, especially the facial characteristics. Though to be honest once I played it a few times I could get a good feel for both players, so it may just take some getting used (for instance, I could tell Hopkins was bruised up but couldn't tell that a punch I had thrown had stunned him, other than the announcer said so). Speaking of the announcer, he was incorrect quite often and in-between round footage was poor.

But to actually get into the feel and rhythm of the fight like that was absolutely amazing.

.Sis

PS I love Xbox Live Marketplace.

Since we have some FN vets here, do you guys also feel that the game switches from 'easy' to 'medium' for hopkins/jones respectively?

when you pick hopkins it's obviously on easy, jones hardly even attacks you and the 2nd round knockout is pretty easy. pick jones and hopkins is much more aggressive, and blocks much better, still put him on his ass though!

k that's it...i'm going to play again, man can't this must be 3 or 4 hours now spent on a 4-round demo!!

scooby_dooby said:
Since we have some FN vets here, do you guys also feel that the game switches from 'easy' to 'medium' for hopkins/jones respectively?

when you pick hopkins it's obviously on easy, jones hardly even attacks you and the 2nd round knockout is pretty easy. pick jones and hopkins is much more aggressive, and blocks much better, still put him on his ass though!

It's definately easier when playing as hopkins, but that also applies to two player game, Jones is easy to beat, even against human opponent and Hopkins is very hard to put down, even if the player controlling him is weak player.

I'll have to try that out, jones is definately faster so the key is using his speed, I have no problems tuning in Hopkins, beat him 40-34 with 2 knockdowns, no haymaker cheese either.

I'll have to get someone over and play, it's too bad you can't play this puppy over live.

Hopkins

Dr Evil said:
It's definately easier when playing as hopkins, but that also applies to two player game, Jones is easy to beat, even against human opponent and Hopkins is very hard to put down, even if the player controlling him is weak player.

Real world Hopkins is amazing boxer and everyone was scared to fight him when he was young man so it is good that game also has strong hopkins character.

It'd be fun if they can add a filter that add noise on the screen, to make the game look an 60's 70's tv broadcast when you play with Ali, or frazier. The crowd in the Ali/Frazier fight from gamespot looks impressive.

Scott_Arm said:
The control in the Fight Night series is actually very good, and probably one of the best approximations of a sport that I've actually seen. The way you can control your torso and arms for blocking independantly is amazing, as well as mixing in punches while moving and dodging. It takes some time getting used to, but it's really very good once you've got the hang of it.

The only thing Fight Night is missing is you can't really pin a guy on the ropes. You can try to cut him off to keep him by the ropes, but it's nearly impossible to keep a guy there. There also isn't really any in-fighting or hitting during clinches.

They also only show replays between rounds, during knockdowns and at the end of the fight. In FNR2, if you played from some of the alternate camera angles, you didn't see any replays.

Yeah but for someone never played this boxing series i dont know what to do, but i won on a KO atleast. :)

Sis said:
PS I love Xbox Live Marketplace.

Oh yeah marketplace is good and the only thing i see LIVE good for, downloading demos instead of buying expensive magz, nothing new really the same was true before with computers so i take that free service as expected.

rosman said:
It'd be fun if they can add a filter that add noise on the screen, to make the game look an 60's 70's tv broadcast when you play with Ali, or frazier. The crowd in the Ali/Frazier fight from gamespot looks impressive.

that's a brilliant idea.

scooby_dooby said:
I'll have to try that out, jones is definately faster so the key is using his speed, I have no problems tuning in Hopkins, beat him 40-34 with 2 knockdowns, no haymaker cheese either.

heh You are probably talking about the second referee, He also gave it to me 40-35, and also the third judge put it on me, but the first judge gave it hopkins when I beat his ass. Jones is much faster, but he has no power, he has to put like 5x punches to drop Hopkins. and if both players are about even, Hopkins is going to win.

On overall I'm very happy about this demo, it's awesome to try a game out before it's released, and downloading it from Live is very convienent. I don't see anything wrong with the animations when I'm playing the game, atleast the punches look good, maybe the boxers could move a bit faster...

Back