Memory consumption in recent games

Ailuros

Epsilon plus three
Legend
Supporter
Better late than never they say ;)

http://www.3declipse.com//content/view/16/9/

Do not forget the layman behind the author and yes more than often it takes quite a bit of guesswork to come to some sort of conclusion, which might not necessarily be 100% accurate.

The write-up is actually a followup to another article I consider outdated today; it attempts to shed some light on the 7800GTX 256 overclocking abilities. For those interested here it is:

http://www.3declipse.com//content/view/15/9/

Enjoy ;)

Nice clear results. Overclocking the gtx definitely has its benefits. Did you run any benchmarks with just memory overclocks?

is this "video memory watcher" available for download?

Edit:
I found the home page - http://www.nonatainment.de/web/Tools/VideoMemoryWatcher/tabid/62/Default.aspx
Now... the hard part - to find the "download" button .... looked in source... got headache, looked at the page again slowly from top to bottom, GEEEEEE found something in the bottom right corner... it works ;)
Seriously, the design of the page can be improved...

Last edited by a moderator:
ondaedg said:
Nice clear results. Overclocking the gtx definitely has its benefits. Did you run any benchmarks with just memory overclocks?

Just the memory at 685MHz/1370 effective and the increase is give or take =/<5%.

Seriously, the design of the page can be improved...

I know ;( Not only am I completely ignorant when it comes to webpage editing, but even if that Mambo thing is so unflexible that it's a pain in the butt to improve it. My goal was primarily to get some write-ups on air, I don't have any fancy reviewing career in the back of my mind.

Ailuros said:
I know ;( Not only am I completely ignorant when it comes to webpage editing, but even if that Mambo thing is so unflexibable that it's a pain in the butt to improve it. My goal was primarily to get some write-ups on air, I don't have any fancy reviewing career in the back of my mind.
:LOL:

He was talking about Demi's site, not yours :LOL:

Ailuros said:
Uhmmm mine isn't better either <shrugs> :blush:

Don't sell your self short there Aliuros. I personally liked your site very much, it has a simple yet elegant design which is easy to follow ( un-like THG for example ) and it isn't gawdy like IGN's site.

I do have one criticism though, your grammar, and that's about all i can criticize.

I read through both articles and found them interesting, especially since it's making think twice about using ultra/extra texture setting's when i'am playing games, where in the past i would have went with a lower frame rate for higher quality, I now know the quality difference is little to non-existent.

I do have one criticism though, your grammar, and that's about all i can criticize.

I would had also expected to hear about syntax problems. I usually type those in word and whatever it catches in terms of grammar I correct it. Any suggestion on more sophisticated tools to error check any given text? English might not be my native language, but that's not by far an excuse for anything.

Thanks for the rest too ;)

By the way if anyone should want to cross-verify the SS2 results, the scripts are downloadable if you click on "medium" and "high quality".

Ailuros said:
Any suggestion on more sophisticated tools to error check any given text?

Sorry Aliuros i can't help you in that regard ( i don't use any ). By the way your english is very good ( i thought it was your native language ), it's better then a lot of folks who only speek english.

Ailuros said:
Thanks for the rest too ;)

That's okay:smile:

Full boat upgrade, wife needed more horsepower for a big project that needs to be done by March. She gets the P4 stuff (minus my 6800GT) to replace her P3 933 --I get the new goodies. X2 4200@4600 2GB RAM, X1800XL AIW. The latter will go to her at the end of the year after the Vista stuff is out and settled a bit (we've always had an AIW since they first came out and replaced Snappy! in our hearts --she has a 7500 AIW now), and I'll get a R6xx/NV5x as seems indicated at that point.

Edit: Oh, and I've lured young MuFu to the d/a/r/k/ green side (the aforementioned 6800GT), as soon as USPS and the Royal Mail do their thing. :LOL:

But let's not take Ail's thread too far sideways. . .

Ail, I thought it was a good read, too. I somehow missed the SS2 VS/PS ratio, an interesting fact. Yeah, it does seem CoD2 is doing an awful lot with textures. It's surprising to see it perform as slowly as FEAR, tho for apparently different reasons.

BTW, BFG10k says ATT and maybe even Riva Tuner have integrated memory watchers. Might be worth a look.

Pete said:
Ail, I thought it was a good read, too. I somehow missed the SS2 VS/PS ratio, an interesting fact. Yeah, it does seem CoD2 is doing an awful lot with textures. It's surprising to see it perform as slowly as FEAR, tho for apparently different reasons.

BTW, BFG10k says ATT and maybe even Riva Tuner have integrated memory watchers. Might be worth a look.

Despite the differences between games, as I said I'd prefer to see the flexibility CroTeam's engines have in general. In SS2 - as in their former games - you can tune down to medium to high settings and not feel as much the difference in output as in other games.

geo said:
Thanks, Ail --a comfort to those of us with new 256mb cards. :smile:

I have the feeling that if GPUs today had way higher shader fill-rates than today as one example, 512MB framebuffers might make a more significant difference.

Back