Revolution Price Confirmed (?)

Presumably, by the time the Revolution comes out, the 360 should see its first price cut/game bundle (a 50$ cut on both Premium and Core for example). Nintendo needs to be cheaper if they want to be a second console for hardcore gamers, as well as an affordable choice for casual gamers and especially non gamers that they claim to reach.

My guess would be either 199$, or 250$ with a nice bundle (say a popular Revolution game and some kind of access to the back catalog of previous generations titles).

Of course, Nintendo fans would buy it at an higher price, but they want to reach to a new audience (like they successfully did with the DS), not live on their (dwindling) existing one.

Best confirmation ever.

$299 or less. And there I was thinking they might go for $799 or something. :p

That said, and sarcasms aside, this is Nintendo we're talking about, so we should expect $199 and 199€. That would be the surest bet.

LOl it didn't take too long for you to go against your own advice, wait a minute you did it even before advised it.

I meant that $250 is a good sort of price range for any next generation system. But lets wait until we know what hardware the system has before saying things like it has to be this or that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is $ 199 like GC, provided how they have downplayed hardware this time and as leaks suggest it is going to a beefed up GC, I can't see it launching at more than that.

A new video is online

Deepak said:
My guess is $ 199 like GC, provided how they have downplayed hardware this time and as leaks suggest it is going to a beefed up GC, I can't see it launching at more than that.

If it is just a beffed up GC it is better to be far less as from 180--->90nm they should be able to put at least 4x the dies for each the processors and memory yet GC cost 99 (and still made in 180nm?).

Deepak said:
Revolution can't be seen as too cheap, it has to be perceived as next gen tech.

If that is the case then they need to make a total medial blackout:LOL: , probably not the best thing to sell a new console;) .

I'd guess $149 with the Rev, wireless dongle, two revmotes, and two nunchuk adapters.

If they go pack-in. $189 with all that up there, and SSBM2.

Guess

thundermonkey said:
I'd guess $149 with the Rev, wireless dongle, two revmotes, and two nunchuk adapters.

If they go pack-in. $189 with all that up there, and SSBM2.

Only 1 type has hard-drive and is $299.

If IGN's information is accurate....

The only way Nintendo can come out of next generation in the Black is if they release the Rev for <$150. The hardware is only slightly better then current generation and the only selling point the console has is its input device. They need to rely on what has kept them profitable this whole time, their games. They need to flood the market with the Rev so they have the potential to sell more games. Since they don't plan on competing by superior or equal hardware they will need to fight that war with its price point. Parents will buy a cheaper console that is "next gen" because of price point even if the console is not next gen.

In all honesty I think they should release the Rev at $100, same price as the Cube right now but when the Rev is released $100 should cover manufacturing costs. At a hundred dollars a unit I don't know many people who wouldn't pick one up just to check it out. They could if they sell it cheap enough move an impressive amount of units since a good portion of PS3, Xbox360 owners would probably have the Rev as well...instead of competing for the "Only Console" people buy they should compete for..

"The Revolution, when you want to play something "Different." as a companion console.

A console that costs less then 2 games for your Xbox360 or PS3 and offers a different gaming experience...why not?

pc999 said:
A new video is online

thanks for your interest in Google Video. Currently, the playback feature of Google Video isn't available in your country.
We hope to make this feature available more widely in the future, and we really appreciate your patience.

They should give it for free while we are at it...
Come on, it's a new console (not a souped up NGC), it will be a good step ahead any current gen console, even though not as powerfull as the X360 or the PS3, but the X360 is expensive and all indicators about the PS3 tell that it'll be at least as expensive as its MS counterpart...

Iwata said it will cost less than X360 Core Pack so < 300$ and to me the price is most likely 200$/€.
150$/€ would be a dream, but look at the DS, it's not especially cheap for what it is (tech wise), and it sells well, there's no reason to cut your margins when you can avoid it, plus if anything don't go too well, Nintendo can always drop the price...

I can't play the video either, Google begin to suck, as any firm becoming big...

Ingenu said:
Come on, it's a new console (not a souped up NGC), it will be a good step ahead any current gen console
Will it be though?
Xbox:Xbox360, 64Mb RAM > 512Mb RAM, 733Mhz CPU > 3 -core 3.2Ghz CPU, 3x increase in GPU speed and far more features, and still (some) people are having difficulty differentiating between Xbox and Xbox360/PS3.

At little more than an Xbox, Revolution may have difficulty standing out from GameCube too much. Its relying solely on "innovation".

@ Nintendo RS video, fake IMO, looks ok (if very bland), takes ages. 13 second bootup menu? Get real.
(Go Google, Australia ftw)

Will it be though?
Xbox:Xbox360, 64Mb RAM > 512Mb RAM, 733Mhz CPU > 3 -core 3.2Ghz CPU, 3x increase in GPU speed and far more features, and still (some) people are having difficulty differentiating between Xbox and Xbox360/PS3.

But why is that the case? Because XBox 360 games are targetted for 720p (a resolution 3 times higher then XBox games). So most launch games are just focused on acheiving decent graphics (similar to XBox graphics) at that new higher resolution rather then pushing new levels of graphics effects. Revolution games will use standard resolution, so I'd expect to see much more of its power spent on great new effects.

At little more than an Xbox, Revolution may have difficulty standing out from GameCube too much. Its relying solely on "innovation".

That's if you believe that Revolution will be only as powerful as the early GC based development kits (2-3 times as powerful as GC), I certainly don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
But why is that the case? Because XBox 360 games are targetted for 720p (a resolution 3 times higher then XBox games). So most launch games are just focused on acheiving decent graphics (similar to XBox graphics) at that new higher resolution rather then pushing new levels of graphics effects. Revolution games will use standard resolution, so I'd expect to see much more of its power spent on great new effects.
It is not the case that 3x the resolution = 3x greater workload. And even if we take it like that, the bridge between supposed revolution specs and X360/PS3 is still enormous.
Like I said, its better to compare the supposed specs to the Xbox and you can see you won't really be seeing much improvement.

Teasy said:
That's if you believe that Revolution will be only as powerful as the early GC based development kits (2-3 times as powerful as GC), I certainly don't.
I believe IGN were referencing final specifications and that this line of thinking is a clutch for some.

Nicked said:
Will it be though?

It dont need to be the same specs it could have 1/4 of that and still be a good step ahead (not that much in memory) any current gen console (specially being only 480p).

Anyway I think we should expect something equivalent to GC updated to 2006 (in terms of relative power to the rest of the world).

Teasy said:

What evidence do you have that it's not? I haven't been keeping up on the whole affair but it seemed the original IGN article was pretty decent.

I downloaded the video from google videos and uploaded it to my hosting so you can watch it.

You can get it from here.

Get here the FLV player.

Back