Revolution Price Confirmed (?)

Your article doesn't even mention where Iwata supposedly said this. So I'll guess, this is just another rumour.

This seems a bit step on first glance, considering that revolution will hit NA/EU fall/winter 2006. Considering that the 360 will propably have its first price cut when its competitors enter the market and should have a decent games library by then and they'll also have to compete against the playstation brand...

Nah, it needs ot be 249.99 or less. with this product i think they need to compete on price.

$250 would be a good price but lets wait until we find out what the system actually is before deciding what price is appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not commenting on the article per se but I think it should be $150-$199 to go along with it's lower performance target (assuming IGN was correct).

Teasy said:
$250 would be a good price but lets wait until we find out what the system actually is before deciding what price is appropriate.

I think a safe assumption is next gen visuals but at SD resolutions + the new controller.

Online probably be somewhere between Sony's and MS'?

What happens if the 360 core is $249 by then, do you guys think the Revolution needs to be cheaper than the 360?

$299 would be way too much for all but the early adopters and Nintendo fans, IMO.

One of the benefits of what is reported to be such a lower powered device should be an ability to mass produce them for launch. Cheaper to make than a 360, larger volumes to ship. And they want to target people who are currently none gamers.

$200 or less I say. Hopefully we'll get it in the UK for £150 or less.

In many ways, Nintendo lives and breathes "built-in audience" as much as they do "profit". That said, I would expect them to maximize their profit with a $249 or so price tag (MAYBE 299) at launch, and then adjust accordingly down the road.

expletive said:
I think a safe assumption is next gen visuals but at SD resolutions + the new controller.

I don't think that's such a safe assumption. Even if you are rendering at a half or a third of the resolution, and you want to disregared anti-aliasing as part of "comparable graphics", a system with about 88 or so MB of ram is going to hard pushed to match one with half a gig. That's little better than a sixth the memory.

Unless Nintendo want to sell high to early adopters + fans then rapidly drop the price to snag the mass market, I really don't think they can afford to launch at $299.

function said:
I don't think that's such a safe assumption. Even if you are rendering at a half or a third of the resolution, and you want to disregared anti-aliasing as part of "comparable graphics", a system with about 88 or so MB of ram is going to hard pushed to match one with half a gig. That's little better than a sixth the memory.

Has the RAM amount been confirmed though?

EDIT:but i do agree that 299 is not feasible for this product.

expletive said:
What was the price of the GC at launch? That seemed to be a profitable strategy for them...

200 euros and making proffit, I expec the same (with a equivalent HW for 2006 BTW)

Nintendo can price it as much as it wants,the early adopters will buy it regardless.The same thing applies to Sony and the ps3 and the same thing applied to MS and the xbox360 which everybody thought it was too expensive at 399$$ and yet MS can't keep up with the demand(at least in the western markets).

Honestly launch price is not important anymore,we are not in 1995.The key point is to be able to participate in a price war after the launch.

fulcizombie said:
Nintendo can price it as much as it wants,the early adopters will buy it regardless.The same thing applies to Sony and the ps3 and the same thing applied to MS and the xbox360 which everybody thought it was too expensive at 399$$ and yet MS can't keep up with the demand(at least in the western markets).

Honestly launch price is not important anymore,we are not in 1995.The key point is to be able to participate in a price war after the launch.

well said i agree and think ps3 will launch at 500

fulcizombie said:

It is very important if there is a good suply, and I suposse that if they will have less expensive HW the yelds will be much better so the suply should be much better so launch price is much more important.

fulcizombie said:

Forget launch price though. What are they going to launch at $300 and then drop it $100 in 3 months just to gouge the early adopters? Nintendo wont do that (Sony OTOH.... ;) ) The launch price will be the price for at LEAST 6 months (probably longer) so it has an impact pretty well beyond the people standing in line on day one.

Teasy said:
$250 would be a good price.

Teasy said:
but lets wait until we find out what the system actually is before deciding what price is appropriate.

LOl it didn't take too long for you to go against your own advice, wait a minute you did it even before advised it.

Just kidding, but 250$ is bit too much if it turns out the much weaker than X360.

Back