Your New Year Wish

Unknown Soldier said:
Have to agree with Chalnoth here .. if i'm gonna buy a new SM3.0 part .. i'd like it to last at least 2-3 years before replacement.
Er, I don't actually think I ever expressed that as a desire.

since i think game development should return to focus on gameplay. i HOPE that dx10 doesn't require a huge chunk of devs time budget to be spent 'developing' eye popping eye candy. seems alot of games are suffering from that...overly linear glossy splashy (though little innovation in scenery).

My wish is that nvidia would release a magic driver that will fix the shimmering on my 6800 with performance degradations or no more than 15% in the worse case =/

The Baron said:
2. That the registry will go away.
3. That the registry will go away.
4. That the registry will go away.

The good news is that unless something breaks, this will happen in Vista. The bad news is that I'm not quite sure how stable the legacy portion (can't break all the old stuff can we?) of the new system will be and the performance hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the registry is nothing more than a repository of configuration information. So there basically has to be something not too dissimilar from the registry in any operating system (In Linux, for example, it's the /etc folder).

Personally, I expect Microsoft to move to a more secure version of the same basic thing. My first guess would just be a registry that includes user-based permissions.

I do have to wonder, however, what it is about the Windows registry that The Baron doesn't like.

Cartoon Corpse said:
since i think game development should return to focus on gameplay. i HOPE that dx10 doesn't require a huge chunk of devs time budget to be spent 'developing' eye popping eye candy. seems alot of games are suffering from that...overly linear glossy splashy (though little innovation in scenery).
Haha, given that this is a website/forum dedicated to the latest-n-greatest in turbo charged and super pretty graphics, this almost seems out of place :LOL:

From everything I've seen, the only way that a games studio is likely to reduce the engine-related workload is by buying-in/outsourcing. I wouldn't mind that too much myself - let the middleware companies do what they're good at (engines, libraries, SDK's) and leave the games developers to make some kick-ass entertainment.

The good news is that unless something breaks, this will happen in Vista.
Got any references for that? I've not checked it out in much detail, but the registry seems to be alive and kicking under Vista for me :???:

Personally, I expect Microsoft to move to a more secure version of the same basic thing.
Enter, Windows Defender ;)

The repetitive clicking needs to be sorted, but otherwise, WinDefender has impressed me enough to consider it a feature worthy of upgrading for...

Jack

3D related :
GPUs get always more stupidly powerful, so I'd like to see stupid things like 16x supersampling (even ordered grid) for older games, without requiring SLI, without restricting to Direct3D or whatever. And no crappy texture filtering.

non 3D related :
I'd like to see "perpendicular" HDDs as soon as possible on the market, so I get two 500GB HDD in RAID1 for cheap.

I've actually a longhorn (well, vista) related wish as well :
let me run the 3D desktop with "Classic Windows" skin, with most useless effects disabled :)

and let me uninstall Windows Media Player..

16 FP and 256bit mem bus to be mainstream (200~ USD)- like the 6800gs.. except a 7 series card, or in ati's case.. well... a R580/RV530 based part with atleast 8 TMUs and 12 FP... 1600XT on steroids.
would that be the 1700XT?

Chalnoth said:
Well, the registry is nothing more than a repository of configuration information. So there basically has to be something not too dissimilar from the registry in any operating system (In Linux, for example, it's the /etc folder).

Personally, I expect Microsoft to move to a more secure version of the same basic thing. My first guess would just be a registry that includes user-based permissions.

I do have to wonder, however, what it is about the Windows registry that The Baron doesn't like.
There are some fundamental differences between /etc and the registry. For one, if your registry gets corrupted you are hosed, end of story. If one file in /etc gets borked then you'll probably just lose a single service. Another is that the files in /etc are pretty easy to understand. Ever go through the registry and try to remove something by hand? You have to search for all the stuff relating to what you are removing, and it's often not easy to see that CLSID {5512D112-5CC6-11CF-8D67-00AA00BDCE1D} is related at all. Plus, the accessing the registry is far slower than accessing a single config file in /etc.

OpenGL guy said:
There are some fundamental differences between /etc and the registry. For one, if your registry gets corrupted you are hosed, end of story. If one file in /etc gets borked then you'll probably just lose a single service.
True, I've had this happen in Windows. It would be much more reliable to have a directory for the registry information (hell, it's got a directory structure anyway). The problem here is that the Windows registry, if ported to a normal directory structure, would be humungous, so you need to either live with the potential for damage, make frequent backups, or go with an entirely different structure (which I doubt Microsoft will do).

Another is that the files in /etc are pretty easy to understand. Ever go through the registry and try to remove something by hand? You have to search for all the stuff relating to what you are removing, and it's often not easy to see that CLSID {5512D112-5CC6-11CF-8D67-00AA00BDCE1D} is related at all. Plus, the accessing the registry is far slower than accessing a single config file in /etc.
Well, the CLSID structure probably isn't going to go away. It's really convenient for dll's and whatnot. It would be nice, of course, if software developers would place stuff that power users may want to configure in more recognizable places (as nVidia does for their drivers).

Jawed said:
Wasn't Vista supposed to get a database-driven file system?

Jawed
WinFS? Had to scrap that if they wanted to get it out on time. Though WinFS is still being worked on, it wont be in the initial release.

I'm assuming that the "registry" would have become file system objects (rows, whatever) in WinFS.

Plainly I'm not remotely close to this - I was just wondering, if WinFS was destined to become the datastore for the "registry" (or whatever it's called now) that the conversion may have been done at least partially even though WinFS is missing...

Jawed

JHoxley said:
Got any references for that? I've not checked it out in much detail, but the registry seems to be alive and kicking under Vista for me :???:

As of the last beta (Beta 1) I've played with (haven't gotten the time nor inclination to install the lastest CTP), still registry based. This new replacement is promised to be included though.

Rur0ni said:
WinFS? Had to scrap that if they wanted to get it out on time. Though WinFS is still being worked on, it wont be in the initial release.

There's a chance WinFS will be included now (although I have my doubts and personally think it'll still be addon) since they've accelerated work on it and pushed out a beta already.

Blazkowicz_ said:
I've actually a longhorn (well, vista) related wish as well :
let me run the 3D desktop with "Classic Windows" skin, with most useless effects disabled :)

and let me uninstall Windows Media Player..

Should be skinnable. You could always make/find a skin that'll look like classic if you want 3D acceleration.

psurge said:
ChronoReverse, is the their an equivalent to the registry in Vista?

Supposedly each application gets their own XML storage location. A torrid mess of virtual folders and pointers are supposed to emulate the registry for legacy applications. I haven't checked out the December CTP to see if that's been actually done.

Back