Japanese Developers Comment on 2006

did you notice most of them have high praise for Shadow of Colossus, i must check this game out sometimes when i have time though.

Not enough Sega developers in this roundtable.
Although, they had Yu Suzuki. The sad thing is that he still works on MMOs.

"The game that left the greatest impression with Maruyama was Every Party (IGN will interject here with notice that Every Party is a terrible game)"
:LOL:

For full enjoyment of Shadow of the Colossus, a big HDTV is definitely going to make a huge difference. I jumped from a standard res 32" to a 52" HDTV and the game is very, very good looking and takes my breath away.

Yeah I was absolutely stunned, gaping in awe of Shadow of the Colossus when I first played it. I didnt put the game down for a full 10 hours and hit Colossus #13 and beat him. I had to give the game a rest after experiencing 13 though, that was the most insane, breathtaking, enthralling battle EVER in videogaming. A little easy to take it down but god...same goes for #5.

The soundtrack is also one of the best I've ever heard. I have the full thing downloaded and am playing it all right now. Incredible soundtrack, right up there with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah seems like SOTC, God of War, and the Revolution were highly praised by them.

Yeah but one of those comments was from Capcom, the publisher of God of War in Japan. That's an interesting thing in itself as that game was developed by a Sony studio in the US, but the parent company in Japan had no confidence in the game on their home tuff, and for good reason. God of War was recently released in Japan, and sold about 3,000 copies. It bombed big time, and perfect example of a Western game not appealing to Japanese tastes.

I was shocked at the Tokyo Game Show where I saw three people playing God of War at Capcom's both, when every other PS2 game at the show had huge crowds. I told my friend who lives there, that I could not understand that, and he said the Japanese no nothing of Greek Mythology.

I bought God of War last week, and the game is stunning from beginning to end. Probably the best graphics of this generation, and I'm not kidding. It's the nicest looking game I have ever played. Game is a bit disturbing though, as you basically play an evil character. What ever happen to playing the hero? Having to sacrifice a person to the God's to solve a puzzle!!! The developers are really sick and twisted people, but talented ones.

Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing game, and the reason why I got a PS2 for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The developers are really sick and twisted people, but talented ones.

Haha, I thought it was hilarious to be honest. I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly saw alot of intentional humor in most of the 'evilness' of Kratos'. And if it wasn't intentional, well, I guess I'm just kinda sick and twisted!

IGN said:
He (Hideo Kojima) doesn't seem too keen on the idea of multiplatform development, stating that he believes it important for game designers to concentrate exclusively on a single platform so that they can bring out the platform's special features and better target its audience. He does admit to wanting to make games for all three next generation platforms, though, giving the nod in particular to Revolution as a platform that, as a designer, it would be "foolish" for him to pass up on.

Nice, I wonder what Kojima has in mind for Revolution?

oi said:
Haha, I thought it was hilarious to be honest. I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly saw alot of intentional humor in most of the 'evilness' of Kratos'. And if it wasn't intentional, well, I guess I'm just kinda sick and twisted!

Well the european version was sensored and the you only "sacrified" a zombie to get trough, in the original version you sacrified a man. It made little sense in the pal-version because the writing in the wall said that you must make ultimate sacrifice, and all you had to do was kill just a another zombie...
Luckily I have the US-version.

Edge said:
Game is a bit disturbing though, as you basically play an evil character. What ever happen to playing the hero? Having to sacrifice a person to the God's to solve a puzzle!!! The developers are really sick and twisted people, but talented ones.
I think thats what made God of War so much better for me. It was like he actually was a "human" character. I think kratos was definately a good guy, I think he more or less turned evil. He pretty much sold his soul to the "devil" (Ares) without really knowing the concequenses. And in the end he would do anything to get revenge or see his family again, even if that ment sacrificing him to the gods. But if you think about it, sacrafice's were probably common with greek mythology, so I think it played true in that part. Kratos was a pure bad ass, and I loved him for it. :D

Btw, I completely agree with the rest of your post. God of War is a freaking amazing game, I just hope they keep the fedility of the first one if they ever decide to make a second. I could get into it for days, GOW was simply amazing all around from the story, to the gameplay, to the graphics.

It's kinda funny how alot of heroes are trying to play the evil looking route these days. Prince of persia (prince of two thrones), splinter cell (rugged orange jumpsuit look), the mgs big boss story line, god of war, shadow the hedgehog, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit off-topic, but a couple of weeks ago i found a website that sold God of War for like 12 quid.... Anyone knows about this by any chance?

I know i'm cheap, what can i say... Only just bought and finished Jak3 when i found it for 14 quid :LOL:

OK FOUND IT. Now the next question, is Progressive Scan available on the PAL version of GOW?

Well the european version was sensored and the you only "sacrified" a zombie to get trough, in the original version you sacrified a man. It made little sense in the pal-version because the writing in the wall said that you must make ultimate sacrifice, and all you had to do was kill just a another zombie...
Luckily I have the US-version.

Well, I was thinking just in general, like when you chase the woman on some level who later falls down the balcony, or the classic part in The Path to Hades (at least I think that's what it was called) where you meet the guy who you already killed once and he's like 'Oh god, you again!'. I didn't find GoW 'dramatic' at all, in fact, it's the first game in a long time that actually made me laugh out loud while playing. The cheesy voice acting (which for some reason everyone seems to think was great, heh..) didn't really help making it a game to be taken seriously either.

But still, a really great game, albeit a bit on the short side.

how shameful of me that i havent not played this two great games (GOW and Shadow of Colussus), i am gay for not playing these games?

dantruon said:
how shameful of me that i havent not played this two great games (GOW and Shadow of Colussus), i am gay for not playing these games?

Well i'm gay and i've imported SOTC so i could play it straight away without having to wait for the European release... And i'm gonna buy GOW today... So, you're not gay for not playing them...

Not sure what that makes of you... A transexual?

london-boy said:
Well i'm gay and i've imported SOTC so i could play it straight away without having to wait for the European release... And i'm gonna buy GOW today... So, you're not gay for not playing them...

oh i forgot to considered you when i type that, sorry LB lol

london-boy said:

You were the first person I thought of when he said gay. :LOL: But really you are going to love God of War. It's great.

Back