Best of 2005: Television ...... BSG #1

Babel-17

Veteran
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1141640,00.html
Most of you probably think this entry has got to be a joke. The rest of you have actually watched the show.

:)
icon14.gif

Adapted from a cheesy '70s Star Wars clone of the same name, Galactica (returning in January) is a ripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with religious fundamentalists (here, genocidal robots called Cylons), sleeper cells, civil-liberties crackdowns and even a prisoner-torture scandal. The basic-cable budget sometimes shows in the production, but the writing and performances are first-class, especially Edward James Olmos as the noble but authoritarian commander in charge of saving the last remnants of humanity. Laugh if you want, but this story of enemies within is dead serious, and seriously good.

There's a /. thread also. http://slashdot.org/articles/05/12/27/1921209.shtml?tid=129&tid=214

A-fucking-men.

A friend of mine (34-year-old female that claims to be a geek) that apparently enjoyed the original seemed surprised and spiteful when I told her I loved the new series. The conversation practically ended there. Then I asked her, "Well, have you seen the new BSG?" Of course she hadn't.

I've seen the first season.
It's been given way too much credited.
When they mentioned it was going to be a sci-fi movie I was hoping that it would be about people exploring science.

I tryed watching it, but did not think it was that great. I would rather watch Babylon 5 or Star Trek reruns for my sci fi fix.

Imho I think Rome is the best TV I have seen this year, if not in my entire (short)life.

Blade said:
A-fucking-men.

What he said.

Blitzkrieg said:
I tryed watching it, but did not think it was that great. I would rather watch Babylon 5 or Star Trek reruns for my sci fi fix.

I think BSG maintains a higher overall standard of scripting and acting over B5, (granted Andreas Katsulas and Mira Furlan gave their moments). but as bit more action wouldn't go astray.

BSG is the new B5 for me. I love the direction that B5 set for Sci-fi, some of which you see in BSG:

- Realistic Space Physics
- Human Nature from today still in the future in varying degress (democracy, captialism)
- Multiple Story-arcs (unlike Star Trek with their reset button)
- Bathrooms

I got the Season 2.0 DVD set for Xmas and I have to say there's a ton of deleted scenes and what Sci-Fi Channel showed with Col. Tigh's flashbacks was a tip of the iceberg. A lot of scenes got cut out probably for time.

Very few people I talk to, even if they're Sci-Fi fans, don't like BSG, they usually have never seen it and only two people I forced them to watch it ended up liking it (not not admitting I'm right). I'm not sure what beef these people have with BSG

Can't wait for Season 2.5 to continue next month. Next month is big TV month too, not only BSG, more Lost, new Season of 24 and The Shield, it's going to be a busy Winter Quarter.

bouy said:
Very few people I talk to, even if they're Sci-Fi fans, don't like BSG, they usually have never seen it and only two people I forced them to watch it ended up liking it (not not admitting I'm right). I'm not sure what beef these people have with BSG

BSG takes thinking from the viewer. It's serious, and not everything has a happy ending. Some of the characters are just not very likable or friendly. Some people don't like that in their sci-fi - they just want everything to be two dimensional and without needing much viewer commitment of thought.

The new BSG has a gritty & desperate edgey feel that I rather like, they hit that "desperate rag-tag fleet searching for the lost colony" feel a LOT better than the original. :)

Blitzkrieg said:

Imho I think Rome is the best TV I have seen this year, if not in my entire (short)life.
Rome is OK (as I said before, it's an attempt to recapture the essence of "I Claudius") but I'd say I've enjoyed (in no particular order)
  • "Dr. Who",
  • "Extras" and
  • "House"
far more.

My daughter also puts in a vote for "The Koala Brothers' Outback Christmas" :)

"House" should beat BSG for best TV of the year, that show has kicked some serious ass this year and is one of the first shows in a loooong time I have made sure I don't miss.

Hugh Laurie's american accent alone should be enough to win it best show on TV! ;)

Dr. Who was fantastic and all, but the bloody short english TV seasons put it out of the running for me.

Seriously, english TV seasons are just teases! ;)

Sunday said:
I’ve watched all of episodes of BSG, and I can tell you LOST is bay faaaar the best show!
I think it was the best show last year, so you gotta give BSG some love too!:D

John Reynolds said:
The 5th and final season of HBO's Six Feet Under. The best television *ever*.
Really? I didn't like the last season as much as the first couple.

Great show and all, but I was a bit disapointed in the wrap-up. :(

digitalwanderer said:
Really? I didn't like the last season as much as the first couple.

Great show and all, but I was a bit disapointed in the wrap-up.

Are you kidding? How were the last few minutes of the finale not utter perfection? Consider the theme of the series and how it's manifested for the last time in the displaying of each character's death. It was absolutely haunting, and the 5th season was a huge rebound from the wretched listlessness of the 4th. Hell, the shared dream between David and Nate for the latter's death was incredible mini-foreshadowing. The fallout of his passing, the grief sinking in deeper and deeper as the family members moved from shock of his sudden death to the realization that he's forever gone. David screaming at the burial. This is stuff that TV writers shy away from and do not touch.

And the dialogue at the end? Nate whispering into Claire's ear as she takes the photograph of her remaining family members with the words: "You can't capture this moment. . .it's already gone." Perfect synthesis of the entire series. Seeing him jogging in the sideview mirror as she drives off into her future. . .I almost started crying and I do NOT cry. Sia's "Breathe Me" playing was just a fantastic choice.

Back