Killzone Prerendered E3 Trailer Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
dubert said:
They bought licences from NT, and they just use the software, they are "end users". How could they tell NewTek what to say, and what not to say? They wouldn't even have to tell anyone in NewTek that it is LightWave they used for rendering.

And saying that I'm a contractor for NT, is not a breach of NDA. But what I cannot tell you is what I'm working on, and what features, other than the ones in the preliminary feature list, are going to be implemented, etc.
Completly unrelated to the discussion (which is RE5 trailer), but seeing it's about marketing/press relation, it's my field, so I'll comment.

Since neither Axis, Sony nor Guerrilla disclosed those informations, it was probably an information they wanted to keep to them.
While it's not "illegal" per se for you to do so, it's not exactly good business for NewTek's employees to interfer with their customers's public relations and reveal things their paying customers don't want to be known.

Vysez said:
Completly unrelated to the discussion (which is RE5 trailer), but seeing it's about marketing/press relation, it's my field, so I'll comment.

Since neither Axis, Sony nor Guerrilla disclosed those informations, it was probably an information they wanted to keep to them.
While it's not "illegal" per se for you to do so, it's not exactly good business for NewTek's employees to interfer with their customers's public relations and reveal things their paying customers don't want to be known.

No one told us to not disclose this information. And it was first told by Proton in a LightWave forum. And now it seems Jeremy Hardin has stuff in his site too. So it doesn't seem to be secret. If it was, Proton wouldn't have disclosed it to anyone, and propably not Jeremy either.

dubert said:
No one told us to not disclose this information. And it was first told by Proton in a LightWave forum. And now it seems Jeremy Hardin has stuff in his site too. So it doesn't seem to be secret. If it was, Proton wouldn't have disclosed it to anyone, and propably not Jeremy either.
Again, this info was already leaked to the public this summer after E3 '06.

I'm not sure what you're really trying to do, besides build up some evidence to make you sound credible in the distant future.

This is getting too off-topic, but I'll add one reply using my
dubert said:
In the case of J.Hardin, I don't think he disclosed anything about the renderer of the video, nor if it was meant to be incorporated in the final or not.
Now, it's true that this Proton guy says it's all LW, so I guess it's Okay with Newtek management.

I'm discussing this, because I know for a fact that SCEE, to this day, refuse to discuss the minutiae of this KZ demo.

We knew thanks to the "leaks" and because of the hypervoxels smoke that it was 100% rendered in a software solution, but I didn't expect people from NT to talk publicly about it.

dubert said:
.... and is the reason they are waiting for a specific system, I thought it would be good to enlighten them a bit.
And now we all know what you wanted to do ;-)
It ok. Fact is, you just don't know anything about the next-gen hardware. If you think, Killzone-graphics are not possible .... you're wrong. That's all.

GAF: " Random ****** says next gen expectations too high"
Exactly! ^^

BTOA said:
Again, this info was already leaked to the public this summer after E3 '06.

I was a bit outdated on that info myself.

BTOA said:
I'm not sure what you're really trying to do, besides build up some evidence to make you sound credible in the distant future.

Hehe, no, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just a simple minded programmer.
My point is, don't believe the hype. Sony has done this way too many times, and it is lying to the customers, in my opinion.
Granted, it seems to be a tactic that works really well. There are alot of people who are waiting for the PS3 because of these kinds of incidents.

Jeremy Hardin might like to read his contract a little closer. His rationale for giving public access to his portfolio was that it "appeared" now to be common knowledge that the KZ trailer was prerendered. I don't know if that would absolve a NDA..

As for the trailer itself, I think almost everyone here has pretty much known and accepted for some time now that the trailer was prerendered.

Vysez said:
This is getting too off-topic, but I'll add one reply using my

In the case of J.Hardin, I don't think he disclosed anything about the renderer of the video, nor if it was meant to be incorporated in the final or not.
Now, it's true that this Proton guy says it's all LW, so I guess it's Okay with Newtek management.

I'm discussing this, because I know for a fact that SCEE, to this day, refuse to discuss the minutiae of this KZ demo.

We knew thanks to the "leaks" and because of the hypervoxels smoke that it was 100% rendered in a software solution, but I didn't expect people from NT to talk publicly about it.

Actually Jeremy does mention LightWave3D quite a few times in this page...
http://jeremy.lwidof.net/demoreel/jeremyhardin_shotlist.html

But again, someone would have told us not to disclose the info, and deleted that thread from SpinQuad, if it was not allowed.

ralexand said:
I'm sorry but seriously, how old are you? You don't sound like a professional person at all.

Cut him slack...his native language isn't English.

That being said...he probably still shouldn't be bringing this to light...there could be serious repercussions for him if business relations between NT and Sony go sour.

ROG27 said:
Cut him slack...his native language isn't English.

That being said...he probably still shouldn't be bringing this to light...there could be serious repercussions for him if business relations between NT and Sony go sour.

I'm not even sure there are any direct relations to Sony. And Axis is the studio that was hired to do the shot by Sony, it is the studios choice on the software they use, I don't think it's Sony's. The studio just have to get the shot done, regardless of the software they use to create it.

dubert said:
Although I recall hearing that it was actually animated in Maya, and only rendered in LW.

Yep, and it took a quite complicated pipeline to handle the data transfer. You seem to be in the know indeed... ;)

Vysez said:

After the overwhelming response to the video, don't you think it was quite a bit unfair that neither the true creators, nor the companies supplying the tools were able to take the right credit for their hard work - just because Sony decided to capitalize on the false belief that it was a realtime PS3 demo?

Titanio said:
As for the trailer itself, I think almost everyone here has pretty much known and accepted for some time now that the trailer was prerendered.

How can you say that with a straight face, when people just continue to pop up and mention that it was realtime? A friend of mine working on that damned trailer has even been called a liar a few weeks ago here...

Laa-Yosh said:
After the overwhelming response to the video, don't you think it was quite a bit unfair that neither the true creators, nor the companies supplying the tools were able to take the right credit for their hard work - just because Sony decided to capitalize on the false belief that it was a realtime PS3 demo?

Indeed :)

On another note. When realtime applications are in that level, I for one will be a happy camper. Since the artists could create their animations and shots in realtime, and see the exact result in realtime. Test renders are a pain, when it takes hours to render a frame of a HQ animation. It will make creating alot more fun.

Personally anytime I see someone on a message board fancy themselves time and time again to be the righteous soul to single out a specific corporation's PR hype (be it Sony, MS, ATI, Nvidia etc) when they're all essentially playing the same game, well my trolldar tends to go off. Its usually an indication someone has an axe to grind. Sony in particular seems to draw a lot of those types. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back