Oblivion Delayed becuase of X360's Power?

expletive said:
http://www.xbox360news.com/Blogs/NewsCom/hqs/blr_1355.aspx

If this is true it must be something fairly perceptible/siginficant because i doubt they would have pushed back their only launch RPG for a minimal/unnoticeable impact.
It says the game was finished two months ago and that they wanted to up the graphics because of the power of the Xbox 360. I'm sure they would've already released the game on PC if this wasn't the case. If it was really finished 2 months ago, I doubt they would go back and decide to add something "minimal" to it when it's already finished.

m1nd_x said:
It says the game was finished two months ago and that they wanted to up the graphics because of the power of the Xbox 360. I'm sure they would've already released the game on PC if this wasn't the case. If it was really finished 2 months ago, I doubt they would go back and decide to add something "minimal" to it when it's already finished.

Why dont you read the story at the link provided and THEN comment. It tends to be more efficient that way. ;)

Well I hope its true because the latest screens of the PC version did not impress, not one bit.

expletive said:
Why dont you read the story at the link provided and THEN comment. It tends to be more efficient that way. ;)
I did read it.... what are you getting at?

how do you consider "They've postponed the game to enhance most aspects of the game, especially graphics and physics." to be minimal?

edit: nvm, I completely read your post wrong... sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
m1nd_x said:
I did read it.... what are you getting at?

how do you consider "They've postponed the game to enhance most aspects of the game, especially graphics and physics." to be minimal?

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I think we might be saying the same thing.

expletive said:
I think we're misunderstanding each other. I think we might be saying the same thing.
That's exactly the case... I've got a hangover, I guess I completely glossed over a few keywords. Sorry

Confidence-Man said:
You certainly wouldn't know it from the latest 360 screens.

When were the most recent?

Based on retailer dates, which tend to be optimistic, it seems the game is about 4-5 months away.

I can't get that link to work so this is just my speculation, but could the delay be related to Microsoft's sudden decision not to include the hard drive as standard for every 360?

I believe it's been stated that developers knew about the possibility that not everybody would have a harddrive well in advance, and were told to write their games with that in mind. So any surprise would probably be confined to whether it would occur at launch or later on in the lifecycle of the system.

I'd bet on the changes simply occurring because the chip gave them certain large advantages and disadvantages compared to development hardware, and they needed to remove those bottlenecks and would like to fill up some space for places where there is plenty of headroom.

Shark Sandwich said:
I can't get that link to work so this is just my speculation, but could the delay be related to Microsoft's sudden decision not to include the hard drive as standard for every 360?
Bethesda made a statement a while back after MS announced the two xbox360 packages saying that MS had already informed them of this, and that they will support the harddrive, in that if it is there, the game will detect it and do it's thing, and if it isn't, than it will just play normally.

Shark Sandwich said:

That would be 'sudden' as in mid 2004? ;)

Or maybe it was delayed because the game just wasn't ready. I read that the demo at
X05 had slowdown, and they wouldn't let anyone videotape it. Seems to me it just wasn't in any condition to be released at launch.

pipo said:
That would be 'sudden' as in mid 2004? ;)

Really? I could've sworn that the 360 was announced as having a HDD standard when it was revealed the week before E3 2005. My impression was that the decision to have two different packages was made sometime after E3. Let me see if I can find a link.

EDIT: You're right. It seems that most people assumed the HDD would be standard after the pre-E3 unveiling, but that was never confirmed by Microsoft. Even though the details about the 2 SKU's hadn't been revealed, developers were told not to assume a HDD would be present.

Last edited by a moderator:
!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Really, i think there just working on different compression technique to try and get it on a few disk's.

Possibly, but i dont think they would need what amounts to roughly a 6 month delay JUST for compression.

chroniceyestrain said:
Or maybe it was delayed because the game just wasn't ready. I read that the demo at
X05 had slowdown, and they wouldn't let anyone videotape it. Seems to me it just wasn't in any condition to be released at launch.
They did a real-time demonstration of the game in front of an audience and narrated what was going on when they were talking about the new AI system and the new dialouge system.

Check out the 'demo demonstrations" here: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1688

Back