The 50 Greatest Gadgets of the Past 50 Years

I'm reading through, dont see how they compare to the PS2 to the N64. Interesting, I disagree with some already and I'm not that far into the list.

Okay, that list is bullshit. Its heavyily populated by a lot of Sony trend items, nothing really revolutinary from them except for the odd thing here or there, either way not near of what is on the list. Really it seems like the list was done in a rush, as some of the choices are just flat out funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't finished reading the list, but: The RAZR at #12?!
I mean, it's just a f'in cellphone! (Granted - a quite good and successful one, but nothing revolutionary)

"It was so cool, you could almost see people drooling with desire when one came into the office." C'mon. For a "Top 50 Gadgets of the last 50 Years" list, that's just lame.

Lots to argue about there!

Random rants:

I agree that the RAZR is a very weak choice. It runs on 2003 software for Heaven's sake.

I would also say that it is a very much US-biased list. Sure the US is responsible for a very large proportion of the best consumer technology, but we Europeans would struggle to understand why all the mobile phones on the list are from Motorola, when Nokia, Ericsson and the Asian companies produce a generally rather more interesting range of phones.

Why on Earth is the Sony Aibo on the list?

Why the PS2. Why not the NES?

What about the Apple ][?

Surely there should be a digital compact camera there, such as the Canon Digital IXUS/Elph.

The Videodisc player was a US-only curiosity.

Guden Oden said:
Surely you jest.

Not the curiosity mind you, but certainly US-only.
Nope: LaserDisc is almost completely unknown in Europe. Not sure about Asia.

Back