Must-haves for DS?

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
So my buddy and his girlfriend got me a DS and Advance Wars DS for Christmas - yaaay! What are the must-haves for the DS anyhow? I doubt I'll game-on-the-go much (if at all), but rather sneak in ~20 minute sessions before bed, in bed.

I'm thinking.. Meteos? Castlevania? Nintendogs? Anyone have any first hand experience with the above?

Also, multiplayer isn't a factor as none of my friends have or will have a DS :p

My must haves are castlevania and trama center. Both games are outstanding and trama center makes awesome use of the touch screen.

These are my must-haves: Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrow, Mario Kart DS, Mario 64, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, Kirby Canvas Course, Zookeeper, Animal Crossing and scummvmDS (the DS version of Scummvm -> http://www.scummvm.org)

zurich said:
So my buddy and his girlfriend got me a DS and Advance Wars DS for Christmas - yaaay! What are the must-haves for the DS anyhow? I doubt I'll game-on-the-go much (if at all), but rather sneak in ~20 minute sessions before bed, in bed.

I'm thinking.. Meteos? Castlevania? Nintendogs? Anyone have any first hand experience with the above?

Also, multiplayer isn't a factor as none of my friends have or will have a DS :p

Meteos is the ideal game for the short sessions of approx. 20-30 min and it probably one of the finest DS games out there. It's one of my favourites.
Nintendogs is nice, but very time consuming, if you want your dogs well trained and well fed. It's a nice game but not spectacular.
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (trans.: Yeah! Fight! Chearleading squad!) is the ultimate blast. Whacky Japanese music/dance game! Plus, the story is pretty funny.
As mentioned before Mario Kart DS, you should be top on your list, at least if you got a WiFi access. Internet multiplayer mayhem.

Hmmm thanks for the suggestions. I picked up Meteos and it's pretty cool. I guess I was sort of spoiled by playing my buddy's PSP and Lumines because Meteos is definitely a few notches below in the music/graphics department. Moreover, Lumines is definitely a tough act to follow, but the tactile nature of Meteos is kind of cool. It's REALLY hard though, holy cow.

I'll probably pick up Castlevania and/or Mario Kart used sometime in the New Year. Nintendogs sounds a little time consuming...

I'll list off any AA/AAA titles I can think of..

Super Mario 64 DS
Feel the Magic DS
Wario Ware Touched!
Yoshi Touch & Go
Meteos
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Trauma Center
Nintendogs
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Lost in Blue
Advance Wars DS (already got it!)
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario Kart DS (get this regardless of your online plans..)
Animal Crossing DS
Sonic Rush (very good)
Metroid Prime Pinball (Penny-Arcade approved exploitaton of arguably Nintendo's best license)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (8.8 on IGN, and online)

That's most of 'em.

Hadn't seen that review. I bought the game recently and from what I've played so far its just the GameCube version with some new bits added. It has all the fun beat em up action of the GC version so far and almost as good graphics (which I have to say looks awesome on the DS in my opinion). The PlanetGameCube article seems to say that he doesn't like some of the added touch screen powers very much... which is fair enough, but you don't have to use most of them. Just play it as if its the GC version if that's the case.

Most reviews would seem to agree considering the massive majority give it scores ranging from 70% to 96% (the majority being in the 80's). Only 3 sites scored it under 70, PlanetGameCube being the lowest.

Anyway I'd say that if you like Viewtiful Joe then this is a must have game in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back