ATI or NVIDIA for Windows MCE 2005

Anvil

Newcomer
I just picked up a new MCE 2005 pc for the kids but it came with an integrated ATI x200 video card. So I figure I should at least upgrade the video card to help with some of the games. But I am wondering what would be the best (mid-range) solution for this PC that will not only play some games but be used to watch movies as well (I bought a stand alone AverMedia TV turner already so the video card does not require one).

I have been out of the loop with video cards for a while (ever since I shut down PVR Revolution and PVR-NET) that I am not sure which vendor has the best solution for a MCE PC.

Thanks
Richard

Since you already have a tuner any card will do. I would recommend something along the lines of an X700 Pro, X800 GT/GTO, 6600 GT, X1600 XT, or 6800 GS. They're all pretty good in the sub $200 range.

One can find 3 month old full retail ATI X800 XL's PCI-Express being sold for about $180.

Anvil said:
I just picked up a new MCE 2005 pc for the kids but it came with an integrated ATI x200 video card. So I figure I should at least upgrade the video card to help with some of the games. But I am wondering what would be the best (mid-range) solution for this PC that will not only play some games but be used to watch movies as well (I bought a stand alone AverMedia TV turner already so the video card does not require one).

I have been out of the loop with video cards for a while (ever since I shut down PVR Revolution and PVR-NET) that I am not sure which vendor has the best solution for a MCE PC.

Thanks
Richard

I may be consdired a bit biased, but you may want to read up on AVIVO and get yourself either an X1300, X1600, or X1800 depending on your budget. I currently have an MCE box in my living room with an X1600 and a TV Wonder Elite.
works pretty good

CATALYST MAKER said:
I may be consdired a bit biased, but you may want to read up on AVIVO and get yourself either an X1300, X1600, or X1800 depending on your budget. I currently have an MCE box in my living room with an X1600 and a TV Wonder Elite.
works pretty good

Hehe, :)

Sunday said:
Mine recommendation is Sapphire passively cooled X1300!

Second vote for passive cooling and X1x00 card because of Avivo here. And X1300 will be fine for the media box, but I'd go with X1600 so you can play some games with decent speed, X1300 will not be quite enough muscle.

Thanks for all of the replies. I will start looking for either a X1600 or x1300. I have yet to see either card in Canada but there is really no rush so I can wait.

Anvil said:
Thanks for all of the replies. I will start looking for either a X1600 or x1300. I have yet to see either card in Canada but there is really no rush so I can wait.

The Canadian section at the www.ati.com store has X1300, tho not X1600 (I was surprised to see). Usually not the best place to shop for deals tho, as those kind of stores (manufacturers) can't undercut partners without hearing screams and receiving dead fish in the mail. More of a "retailer of last resort" kind of thing.

geo said:
The Canadian section at the www.ati.com store has X1300, tho not X1600 (I was surprised to see). Usually not the best place to shop for deals tho, as those kind of stores (manufacturers) can't undercut partners without hearing screams and receiving dead fish in the mail. More of a "retailer of last resort" kind of thing.

Well their $US to $cdn conversion is also pretty insane.

x700 pro $179 us, $299 cdn. Actual conversion $US to cdn = ~$208.

If you're outputting to an HDTV and games are your biggest concern, you want a card with some muscle so you can run at HD resolutions with a good framerate. I'm currently running an AIW 9700 Pro in my MCE2005 HTPC, but I'd really like an AIW X1800XL for gaming and Avivo. A dual core CPU would definitely help Media Center perfomance, and with newer video card drivers, gaming performance also gets a nice boost.

Iron Tiger said:
If you're outputting to an HDTV and games are your biggest concern, you want a card with some muscle so you can run at HD resolutions with a good framerate. I'm currently running an AIW 9700 Pro in my MCE2005 HTPC, but I'd really like an AIW X1800XL for gaming and Avivo. A dual core CPU would definitely help Media Center perfomance, and with newer video card drivers, gaming performance also gets a nice boost.

Thanks for the suggestions. At the moment HDTV is not a concern for me and I am not planning on going that way for a year or two (wait for the price to drop and some newer technologies / standards to mature and also waiting for the Nintendo Revolution and not interested in XBox nor PS3 - I have young girls and for some reason hardcore FPS shooters or games rated TEEN seem to be the norm for Xbox 360).

Also looked at the prices for some of the newer mid-range boards in Canada and still find they are a bit too steep for main purpose of the machine. I may have to ask my brother to keep an eye out for good deals on a PCI-E board for me as he does live in the States.

BTW, what third party video software would one recommend to edit recorded tv programs for removal of commercials and such. I have used Sonic DigitalMedia Plus 7 to edit a SpongeBob program (took about 3 minutes to remove commercials) by clipping the video into segments and deleting the segments that were just commericals. Just wondering if there is a better way.

thanks.

Get one yet?

http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=4040

I've been using a few of those in few audio workstations I've been throwing together for a friend. Not the cheapest or best deal but for the audio guys it's either a passively cooled card or else swap the stock heatsink & fan for a quiet Zalman cooler, which adds another CDN$35 + tax to the cost of any non-passive card.

They actually game better then I would have thought. Here's a few reviews:
http://casemodgod.com/Reviews-story--96.html
http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=122

9700 pro and MCE

Iron Tiger said:

hi Tiger
have you managed to get the 9700pro AIW working as the 'proper' media centre tv device?
Mine is not being recognised as a TV card - what drivers did you use and how did you configure it??

many thanks, Neil

Back