I've taken a real life IQ test

Look at it this way . If you were born 800 years ago and you took an IQ test based on the acadimeia of the time . and you scored 150 points . One of the questions you got right was how far can you sail out onto the ocean before you fell off the edge of the world.
Don't place your faith in what the acadimic society places its values at. Take a good hard look at the world . Thats basicly run by earths brights people with IQ scores of 120+.
These smart people have done well only in their own minds.
The fact that you question your score proves your smarter than they are. They accept their scores without question.

Quitch said:
What a bunch of crap :)

Bingo. It's all just a total load of crap.

And like others have said, IQs aren't required on resumés or any other application (to my knowledge...) so really, there's no point to them except for people who have issues and need to compare themselves to everyone else.

To sum up, Quitch is right.

IQ tests try to test the capacity to think logically. There really isn't any way to measure "intelligence," which is supposed to be some nebulous quantity that identifies how able a person's mind is. They typically have the connotation that intelligence is something you are born with, not something you learn.

This is patently false. Logical thinking is most certainly learnable. And, what's more, depending upon your field of study you may or may not have encountered something related to some of the questions on an IQ test before. For example, I know that since I started studying physics in earnest, my IQ score has increased significantly (since basically all that you do in physics classes is hone your logical thinking).

I 100% agree on this.
This is my experience as well.

Chalnoth said:
IQ tests try to test the capacity to think logically. There really isn't any way to measure "intelligence," which is supposed to be some nebulous quantity that identifies how able a person's mind is. They typically have the connotation that intelligence is something you are born with, not something you learn.

This is patently false. Logical thinking is most certainly learnable. And, what's more, depending upon your field of study you may or may not have encountered something related to some of the questions on an IQ test before. For example, I know that since I started studying physics in earnest, my IQ score has increased significantly (since basically all that you do in physics classes is hone your logical thinking).

Heh, I'm pretty smart and've easily aced all university courses I've taken(found the so-called difficult ones like org-chem, calculus, and physics the one for 'majors' with calc to be a breeze.), alas i barely remember how to even integrate, nor almost any formula :LOL: . Worse yet, it seems I've gotten to the point of information overload, I've watched some old movies, I'd seen long ago, again and entire segments seemed entirely new, same thing's happening with even basic vocab words sometimes they feel entirely novel.

It's a bit scary what's happened, right now I can't wait for truly advanced neural implants to arrive, I want photo-grphic memory, and also the ability to share(more like d/l and absorb) the knowledge and insight of experts in all fields. I've realized it's going to take forever to get the kind of knowledge base I desire the natural way, especially if I keep forgetting stuff.

Rys said:
I had an IQ of 157 at one bit, when I was younger, and I'm a complete dipshit. I wouldn't put too much stock in the tests, if any at all. And I have never come across a single situation in my adult life that's required me to state my IQ to achieve something I wouldn't have otherwise.

Now excuse me, I'm off to eat some more crayons.

Your IQ isn't supposed to change, but I also believe that IQ tests given at a young age are BS and really only show that a child may have had an accelerated rate of learning.

Back in...one of the lower grades, I think 6th (may have been 3rd), I scored 179 on an IQ test, with the eventual saludatorian of my high school scoring just a bit below that. Our other peers (in the gifted and talented program) scored between 130 and 150, however I don't our scores would as high now as they were then. His parents would very strict and always forced him to study hard, and I actually had an interest in learning at the time and had already self taught myself high school level subjects. I'd expect an adult IQ test would show me much closer to normal intelligence levels.

You sound far too intelligent to be anywhere near normal levels. Normal being 90-110 for me.
The average person is a fkn retard. I would like to take a proper IQ test but they eliminated them in this country, and I dont know or think that the online ones are very accurate.

Fox5 said:
Your IQ isn't supposed to change,
I think that's based on a rather wrong assumption about intelligence. It is more than possible to learn how to think logically, and it is even possible to learn how to learn (basically, there are effective learning strategies, and ineffective ones).

My basic belief when it comes to learning is that there is no way that we genetically evolved the capacity for things like higher math and logical deduction. These things have evolved through society in a way that is so far removed from the evolutionary pressures of the natural environment that it doesn't make sense to have genetics come close to explaining the dramatic discrepancies in how well people do in math and science.

So I claim that the reason why I can now score very high on IQ tests has much more to do with my environment than my genetic makeup. I can even point back to specific events in my early childhood that helped to mold my way of thinking. For example, my mother taught me basic math before I even entered school, and in such a way that I never had to memorize my times tables.

As such I was started early in life with the idea to think instead of memorize. Over time I have honed this practice to every subject taught in school, for my own interests: I didn't want to do homework or study, and since most exams were multiple choice, I could usually think my way to the answer with only a fragment of knowledge remembered from class. This had the negative effect of making it very hard to motivate myself to work, but the positive effect of honing my analytical reasoning skills, which in turn meant that I always did well on IQ tests.

Today, I've spent the past four and a half years doing almost nothing but physics (when it comes to work....), which in turn has honed my analytical reasoning to levels higher than ever before, and as such I do even better at IQ tests.

Blitzkrieg said:
You sound far too intelligent to be anywhere near normal levels. Normal being 90-110 for me.
The average person is a fkn retard. I would like to take a proper IQ test but they eliminated them in this country, and I dont know or think that the online ones are very accurate.
Try the one at www.highiqsociety.com if you're curious. Seems to me they've got a nice one.

(I'd never join them, because I think IQ scores are stupid, but I still enjoy taking the tests...)

Edit:
Hrm, just took another one from them, and I guess I'm not so sure I think it's that great any longer.

Chalnoth said:
I think that's based on a rather wrong assumption about intelligence. It is more than possible to learn how to think logically, and it is even possible to learn how to learn (basically, there are effective learning strategies, and ineffective ones).

My basic belief when it comes to learning is that there is no way that we genetically evolved the capacity for things like higher math and logical deduction. These things have evolved through society in a way that is so far removed from the evolutionary pressures of the natural environment that it doesn't make sense to have genetics come close to explaining the dramatic discrepancies in how well people do in math and science.

So I claim that the reason why I can now score very high on IQ tests has much more to do with my environment than my genetic makeup. I can even point back to specific events in my early childhood that helped to mold my way of thinking. For example, my mother taught me basic math before I even entered school, and in such a way that I never had to memorize my times tables.

As such I was started early in life with the idea to think instead of memorize. Over time I have honed this practice to every subject taught in school, for my own interests: I didn't want to do homework or study, and since most exams were multiple choice, I could usually think my way to the answer with only a fragment of knowledge remembered from class. This had the negative effect of making it very hard to motivate myself to work, but the positive effect of honing my analytical reasoning skills, which in turn meant that I always did well on IQ tests.

Today, I've spent the past four and a half years doing almost nothing but physics (when it comes to work....), which in turn has honed my analytical reasoning to levels higher than ever before, and as such I do even better at IQ tests.

And all those are reasons why IQ tests are flawed and meaningless. IQ tests matter about as much as synthetic bandwidth tests.

I scored 136 and then they told me to add 15 if English was not my first language. Honestly I was much smarter 4 years ago...now I think I am quite brain dead.

Well I just tried that and after the effort of going through the test and it sending me back to the homepage without a score I cant be bothered doing it again.
I did not like it though. A lot of things I knew I knew them, its just that I have not done many of the subjects for many years so I cant remember many of the correct names.

IQ tests are non-sense. I have 146 (148 on recent decent quality online tests), and clearly I'm smarter then that! I may be good a logic, but I'm better at processing information and learning.

I scored 93 my randomly clicking on things.
I'm not entirely sure but if I can score close to average IQ by randomly clicking on stuff doesn't that mean the IQ test is a fraud?

About 15 years ago I did two years of Psycology at university, so some of what Im about to say might be wrong due to my lack of memory, but I think:

IQ tests by definition have to be done to groups of people of similar background/scociety (such as a group of 100 first year students all from the same country). The results are then scaled to make 100 the average, and 180 the highest. Im pretty sure about the 180 thing, but it was a long time ago.

Each IQ test has to be statisticly significant to be a real IQ test. If you only test 1 person, then its rubbish, if you only test 20 people its probably rubbish.

There was some ratio of types of questions. Something like 20% logic, 20% math, 20% word, 20% spacial etc. I cant remember the %ages now.

Your IQ should never change over your lifetime, as the test should be taken with a group of your peers, so if you learn more logic, so do your peers, and the scaling will bring you back to the same score.

Iq tests on-line will never work, as you will have people from New Zealand, England, the US, France, etc taking the same test. Once the whole world has been tested it might be usefull, but then the differences in culture will bugger things up.

Saying that, Ive had to sit IQ tests for job interviews in the past, and I can see the point there. If you have say 50 people applying for one job you can set an IQ test biased towards your companies culture and rank your potential employees. Since other factors such as personality, apperance, work ethic etc come into picking the perfect employee its not the only test you should do, but can make a difference. Say one person scored 60, and one 160 and everything else is equal, then the person with 160 should get the job. That same person might only score 110 in a less biased test though.

Ali

Ali said:
About 15 years ago I did two years of Psycology at university, so some of what Im about to say might be wrong due to my lack of memory, but I think:

IQ tests by definition have to be done to groups of people of similar background/scociety (such as a group of 100 first year students all from the same country). The results are then scaled to make 100 the average, and 180 the highest. Im pretty sure about the 180 thing, but it was a long time ago.

Each IQ test has to be statisticly significant to be a real IQ test. If you only test 1 person, then its rubbish, if you only test 20 people its probably rubbish.

There was some ratio of types of questions. Something like 20% logic, 20% math, 20% word, 20% spacial etc. I cant remember the %ages now.

Your IQ should never change over your lifetime, as the test should be taken with a group of your peers, so if you learn more logic, so do your peers, and the scaling will bring you back to the same score.

Iq tests on-line will never work, as you will have people from New Zealand, England, the US, France, etc taking the same test. Once the whole world has been tested it might be usefull, but then the differences in culture will bugger things up.

Saying that, Ive had to sit IQ tests for job interviews in the past, and I can see the point there. If you have say 50 people applying for one job you can set an IQ test biased towards your companies culture and rank your potential employees. Since other factors such as personality, apperance, work ethic etc come into picking the perfect employee its not the only test you should do, but can make a difference. Say one person scored 60, and one 160 and everything else is equal, then the person with 160 should get the job. That same person might only score 110 in a less biased test though.

Ali

I remember reading something that the ammount of sleep you've had inside of 24 hr period affects your overall IQ...like 40 points or something

I like the correlation to synthetic bandwidth tests...and I'll just leave you to draw your own conclusions (just to get you where i'm thinking: theoretical fill rate, RV530 vs N40, 3D05)

Back