OMFG check out this Russian dude and his amazing moves! Vid link included!

Aha, found that photo.

hpress.jpg

Apparantly the climb is called 'Purple Haze' and he apparantly had cracked ribs at the time.

1. Original video = pretty good. Street, but leet.

2. Team Ryouko = meh...glam boys trying to be cool. Their promo video was pretty pathetic.

3. Dan Osman = Holy shit!!! Wow!!! :oops: (oh...and RIP...too bad:cry:)

The original Video is excellent. very talented.

The rock climber dude..

It is really weird when people think they are not "living life" if they are not taking one insane risk after the next. As usual this kind of behavior results in death or a serious mangling of your Body.

There are to many sad cases where people are quadriplegic or some other crazy thing because "They had to experience life". Now what kind of experience do they have? They are dead or mangled. Who says Life is about having the most wild experiences anyway.

All you do is needlessly hurt loved ones you leave behind to early or force to take care of the wrecked shell that’s left.

On the flip side of that...

I cant even imagine how you get into such extreme physical condition. To have that kind of Endurance and strength?

Crazy.

It takes dedication bordering on obsession to be like that. My adopted older brother was a marine with a similar attitude.

Anyone can do it, baring medical problems, but most of us just won't stick past the pain at first. These people that are like that practice whatever it is they want to do for hours everyday. Doesn't matter what it is, if you find something that drives you that hard, you will become amazing. Or die trying. :D

The real question is, how many of us want to give up 4-8 hours a day of leisure time for working out?

On the subject of people that are extreme risk takers: I think as a species we need them. They are driven to push the limits, but sometimes that's how progress is made.

the maddman said:
The real question is, how many of us want to give up 4-8 hours a day of leisure time for working out?

Millions of people think working out is going into a gym and jogging slowly on a treadmill for an hour. Like a hamster in a cage. What that guy is doing seems way more fun. I'd say that what that guy is doing IS leisure.

TheMightyPuck said:
Millions of people think working out is going into a gym and jogging slowly on a treadmill for an hour. Like a hamster in a cage. What that guy is doing seems way more fun. I'd say that what that guy is doing IS leisure.

Maybe at the point he's at. If one of us went and tried that, we'd kill ourselves pretty quick. It takes huge dedication to get into that kind of shape. He's already done his time in the gym to get to the point where it looks easy.

Actually most of the really good climbers that I know (ie. E7+) have never been in a gym - they've just climbed every week since being small children. Osman seemed to favour technical straightforward routes (VS, HVS) but went for long, long climbs to do his showboating.

Jesus, it was a real life computer game. Damn, all we needed was guys with guns trying to catch him.

To get fit and stay fit, it needs to be a lifestyle. As a kid you werre probably fit, but didn't know it, you just ran around until you were tired out because it was fun. That's how you become really good at something: you enjoy doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neeyik said:
Actually most of the really good climbers that I know (ie. E7+) have never been in a gym - they've just climbed every week since being small children. Osman seemed to favour technical straightforward routes (VS, HVS) but went for long, long climbs to do his showboating.

That's the other way to do it. Start off small and keep doing it, even when it hurts.

The picture of him standing out sideways from the rock is just unreal. I mean, I believe that it is real, but still, it's still seems impossible to me. Extremely amazing display of strength.

It's not as hard as it looks...well, okay it is pretty hard but it's more technique than raw physical strength. Get a bomb handhold for the top hand, lever off with the bottom arm (almost as if you're doing a handstand) and then extend your body; the latter part is the most demanding, especially fully straightening your legs as it causes the upper body to swing about.

A couple of solid years climbing and most people should be able to do a half-flag (legs not out), which is about as far as I got a few years back before problems with my lungs took over.

I did a 3/4 flag (or whatever it should be called) the first time I tried it, and I'm not very buffed.
The position I've heard been called half flag before is when you do it at a pole with the pole under your armpit, legs fully extended. What I called 3/4 flag is when you hold the pole with your hands slightly wider than you shoulders, with the pole just under your chin, legs fully extended.
(Both of those positions are of course easier than what Neeyik called half-flag.)

But that was 10kg ago. :cry:

Neeyik said:
It's not as hard as it looks...
You know we will demand pictures now. Heheh ;)

"And here is Neeyik hanging off the cliff but you can still see a bit of the forest below"

"And here is Neeyik hanging off the cliff doing a horizontal hand stand and if you look very closely I think you can just spot a robe belonging to the Spanish Inquisition..."

"The Spanish Inquisition? I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition..."

daaaa-duuum <dramatic music>

"Nooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!"

wireframe said:
You know we will demand pictures now. Heheh ;)

"And here is Neeyik hanging off the cliff but you can still see a bit of the forest below"

"And here is Neeyik hanging off the cliff doing a horizontal hand stand and if you look very closely I think you can just spot a robe belonging to the Spanish Inquisition..."

"The Spanish Inquisition? I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition..."

daaaa-duuum <dramatic music>

"Nooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!"
Heh. Fortunately my decent rock-climbing days were when I mostly soloed and bouldered - so pictures I'm afraid ;) Of late, it's all been far more sedate and very "safe".

"Put her in the Comfy Chair!!!!"

Back