Allard vs Hirai interview

pipo

Veteran
Sony and Microsoft-an odd couple if there ever was one. On one hand, you have a Japanese electronics giant with dozens of years of experience and a track record of success in the videogame market. On the other, you have a U.S.-based company whose fortune was made off operating systems for the PC and whose number of years in the videogame industry can be counted on a single hand. But if you think the next-generation console wars are going to be one-sided, think again. We spoke with J Allard, corporate vice president of Microsoft, and Kaz Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, to get the details on the next generation and how consumers will ultimately be the winners.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3146281&did=1

OPM: What about the PlayStation 3 controller? Is it going to stay like that?

KH: That was a prototype that was shown, and it's a tall order that Kutaragi-san ran past the designers. We've gone through two consoles with essentially the same controller design, and it's time for a fresh approach. We're going to look at the form factor, but at the same time we want it to feel familiar. It's difficult to balance the two. It's a work in progress. We certainly want to make sure that when you hold it in your hands that you've come home to something familiar.
very nice. :)

thanks for the link, pipo.

The interview with Allard could have been summed up with "Live is really cool. You should want it, because it´s really cool".

Almasy said:
The interview with Allard could have been summed up with "Live is really cool. You should want it, because it´s really cool".

True. Which is probably the reason OPM asked him all those questions about it in the first place. ;)

Bad_Boy said:
thanks for the link, pipo.

No prob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Allard talking about helping Sony so much with the PS3? It seems like he is talking for the PS3 just as much as Phil Harrison.

mckmas8808 said:
Why is Allard talking about helping Sony so much with the PS3? It seems like he is talking for the PS3 just as much as Phil Harrison.

He's trying to make it seems like Sony is incompetent and needs Microsoft's help. It's really lame.

Well, to be honest Hirai's words on an online service are not very reassuring IMHO...

When we launch a PS3 online service, we certainly want to take advantage of the PS3, the technology it brings, and offer a great online experience for PS3 users, but at the same time, we want to make sure we bring along the huge install base of PS2 users and the install base of PSP users and have them be able to take part in the online experience as well. What we want to accomplish is not be cutting edge for cutting edge's sake, but to come up with something that everyone who has a PlayStation console can enjoy. But we want to push the envelope for the PS3. It's a challenge, but it's a challenge that's going to pay great dividends.

Interesting

pipo said:
Well, to be honest Hirai's words on an online service are not very reassuring IMHO...

I think "concept" of online with PSP, PS2, and PS3 integration is very good but not so easy to build because of different technologies and different capabilities of PSP, PS2 and PS3.

rabidrabbit said:
Why? After all he says very little concrete about it.. or is that just why?

Yeah... Maybe I'm reading too much in that, but combined with the part before that:

...we're going to have a huge install base of users, so we don't have the luxury that other platforms have where they say, "The old platform is the old platform. This is the new platform, and we'll have online optimized for the new platform."

It almost sounds like an excuse already.

Oh well, we'll see at CES I guess. :)

BTW: I don't get who he's pointing at when he says 'the other platforms'. Nintendo didn't have any online until the DS and Live for the Xbox is compatible with the x360. So what is he trying to say there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the limited backwards compatibility?
Are xbox1 Live gamesaves and downloads transferrable to xbox360 Live?
What happens to the content you downloaded for Forza and DoA (two examples which I am not even sure if there was any downloads available)

rabidrabbit said:
Maybe the limited backwards compatibility?
Are xbox1 Live gamesaves and downloads transferrable to xbox360 Live?
What happens to the content you downloaded for Forza and DoA (two examples which I am not even sure if there was any downloads available)

Ah. You have a point there. Gamesaves and downloads are lost. That might be it...

you could just download the downloads agian, if it's something you paid for you wouldn't have to pay agian

atleast thats what they say I haven't tried it

mckmas8808 said:

The interview is for a Playstation magazine.

mckmas8808 said:

It probably has to do with the fact that he is an avid gamer. Yes, he works for MSFT but that in no way stops him from owning and ENJOYING other consoles. I think this quote sums it up the best:
OPM: What do you think of the whole idea of granting an interview to a PlayStation magazine?

J ALLARD: I think it's great. Congratulations on the 100th issue. I'm still a reader and have been for a long time, so I'm glad [to do it]. From the broadest point of view, one thing that bums me out about the videogame industry is that we've developed these camps or factions when we're all gamers. Whether you're making games, talking about games, or anything else, the factions we create can be a little unhealthy. We're not as grown-up [in this regard] as music, movies, or television [are], so that holds us back a bit.

Allard said:
Whether you're making games, talking about games, or anything else, the factions we create can be a little unhealthy. We're not as grown-up [in this regard] as music, movies, or television [are], so that holds us back a bit.

A non-unified platform causes that ;)

Back