Possible "hole" in XBox360 found

Bill said:
Will people crack PS3 or not even try?

I dont think anybody tried to crack Gamecube really. Then people claimed it was hard to crack!

Plus you know like a thousand people are working night and day on cracking 360 just to discredit microsoft.

I think the media was the reason gamecube took so long, it seemed that when the 1.5gig mini DVD disc came out so did a modchip for the gamecube

the PS3 may have this advantage also, until BR burners and blank media become popular but thats if the games don't fit on a DVD

and, I don't doubt MS has left a flaw in there code somewhere that will be exploited one day but this is something I think that they would have seen coming, sounds like some kid that's trying to be cool by being the first to play pirated games on the 360

rusty said:
bit premature..... after looking into it more deeply (incl the forum at which it originated) it's only one guy claiming to have done it, and despite multiple attempts no one else has been able to replicate it.
Yup. From the reproduction attemps so far, it appears as follows: It is not at all possible to copy X360 games with single-layer DVDs (several people, including the guy claiming to have successfully copied the game, tried and failed); the only other guy who tried a dual-layer DVD didn't get the X360 to read the disk at all, suggesting that he used either an incompatible DVD brand or the wrong file-system. There is still some testing left to do before this report can be decisively dismissed or confirmed.

Qroach said:
or "GASP" he's lying.

I think thats why people are waiting on confirmation from other sources before making that mental decision. Its not like the fact that hes lying hasn't passed all of our minds yet.

Yeah c'mon QRoach, seriously. Obviously this guy might be lying. Or, he might not. It's the later that we're waiting for possible confirmation on.

Well i see many people beleiving it's true. If anything that sounds mental to me. people have already confirmed that it doesn't work, how much more confirmation do you need?

The problem is some people beleived it outright, without a single shread of proof to back it up. the whole thing seems silly to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey well, if it's already been disproven, there we go.

I was waiting for the word to filter into this thread, and... well I guess it has. :)

Microsoft is amazing..to stand up to this kind of concentrated hacker challenge.

I mean, maybe two guys in a basement will work on PS3..MS has to stand up to thousands..

I also wonder if consoles are verging more towards unhackable? At any rate it's a niche market..You wont see Dreamcast level of piracy again.

Just for the record (and because i don't know :p), how long did it take for the Xbox to get hacked?

my understanding is that the final builds of MechAssault and one of the Xbox Bond Games (Nightfire?) had some gaps in the security that showed the crackers how to break the whole thing wide open.

MS made the smart move and admitted that yes someone will likely crack the thing. Rather than the "omg its uncrackable!!!!" line. I dont know the first thing about console security or cracking, but I imagine they've improved security considerably. I figure it will require another slip up on a game disc to get the mod folks on the correct path.

Andrew "Bunnie" Huang hacked it alone 5 or 6 months after launch. First commercial modchip was Xtender in may 2002; softmods came later.

Bill said:
Microsoft is amazing..to stand up to this kind of concentrated hacker challenge.

I mean, maybe two guys in a basement will work on PS3..MS has to stand up to thousands..

I also wonder if consoles are verging more towards unhackable? At any rate it's a niche market..You wont see Dreamcast level of piracy again.

you are a walking joke hhuahuaauhauhauhauhuaaha

i see ps3 as being hacked faster then xbox. its just like this generation it may be annoying or a nusances to do so. XBOX wasnt easier to hack its just so happen to get hacked early becuase of a mess up of MS. ps2 was hacked before xbox came out. it was simpler to do but it didnt have the mod-erifict enviroment that xbox had. plus it was a nusances to play ps2 games everytime you wanted to play. or you can add a modd chip with more solder points then your average breadboard jk.

PS3 is rumored to have a open based linux running under the covers not sure how much of that is true. im guessing as soon as some one figures out how to do a content dump, it will be hacked into with a hardrive. with the ps3 its not the software thats hard its the damn sony propriety thats a pain in the but.

Back