Fight Night (Xbox 360) - 3 Million Polys Per Fighter

holy crap, that video rocks!! this is the best version we;ve seen so far, it looks so real, almost too good to be true, but you can tell it's actual gameplay.

Damn, I can't believe I'll be playing a game that looks like this in just a few months, can't wait.

I really dont see what all the hubalu is...
To me the PS3 version still holds its grounds...
Its just a little bit more "cartoony"
Plus i hate that new "EA" tone crap that they are starting to add to their games..
They also said that Fight Night for PS3 will be like FN4...
2 totally different games.

Just my 2 :)

That said, Im loving the 1st person "mini-game"

EDIT: Whoa, the new editing system(forums) is great. I dunno if its old or new but i've never noticed until now!

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
holy crap, that video rocks!! this is the best version we;ve seen so far, it looks so real, almost too good to be true, but you can tell it's actual gameplay.

Damn, I can't believe I'll be playing a game that looks like this in just a few months, can't wait.
How can you tell that its in-game? With EA nothing is 100% certain. All their games look amazing before they come out.

wow... :oops:

somebody please release a 720p vid, stat!

Slides said:
How can you tell that its in-game? With EA nothing is 100% certain. All their games look amazing before they come out.

I thought it was in-game from the way they moved. Their actions were changing rather spontaneously and the animations were stiff from changing between those actions.

Alstrong said:
I thought it was in-game from the way the guy kept blocking/dodging backwards stiffly.
Fair enough, but EA is known for post-processing on their screenshots and videos, and thus my reluctance to be shocked and awed just yet.

Wasn't an article made about the tech test render EA made a few months ago stating that the faces in fight night were composed of more than 10K polygons?
This 3M polygon figure sounds to me as being the polycount before APS process.

Slides said:

Have you played fight night? Anyone who has played fight night will recognize that as in-game, no doubt about it.

To see canned, non-playable action look at the E3 demo. This is definately in-game, I'll bet money on that.

You can tell, it obvious.

So go ahead and be shocked, be awed, this is fight night 3.

Slides said:
Fair enough, but EA is known for post-processing on their screenshots and videos, and thus my reluctance to be shocked and awed just yet.

hm... what sort of post-processing do you think they did in the video that isn't possible in real time?

The frame rate was kinda crappy too...

Alstrong said:
hm... what sort of post-processing do you think they did in the video that isn't possible in real time?

The frame rate was kinda crappy too...
Lighting, anti-aliasing, higher quality textures, anything is possible with EA...

But I haven't played Fight Night before, so who knows.

Vysez said:
Wasn't an article made about the tech test render EA made a few months ago stating that the faces in fight night were composed of more than 10K polygons?
This 3M polygon figure sounds to me as being the polycount before APS process.
That would be my guess.

The boxers look ok, but not "3 million polys" ok. Either that, or EA sucks at modelling.

The pictures look great :)

if the final game would look close to those screens...

then it will unquestionably scream next-gen :)

on a side note..

how many polygons would it take to render Don King...

down to the crazy yet cool hair.

This is the same if not better graphical quality as the footage that wowed people at E3 when it was running on PS3.
Don't confuse this with Fight Night on PS3, however. According to EA's Kudo Tsunoda, "The PS3 [version] is going to be a totally different game, just because the Xbox 360 launches before the PS3 launches. So it's going to be much more of a kinda Fight Night 4 PS3 version and Fight Night 3 Xbox 360 version."

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3146303&did=1

I don't have time to count all the visible polygons at the moment, but this looks just a few steps down from being indistinguisable from live tv. Very nice. If you think that this game does not look impressive (except the frame rate problems), you're asking a lot out of your video games, an aweful lot.

I wonder what the ring girls will look like?

g35er said:
I don't have time to count all the visible polygons at the moment, but this looks just a few steps down from being indistinguisable from live tv. Very nice. If you think that this game does not look impressive (except the frame rate problems), you're asking a lot out of your video games, an aweful lot.
Well, I think more can be asked. There are other next-gen games with better models being placed in bigger environments with more action on screen. And although I agree its getting closer to TV-quality, its definitely not near indistinguishable.

Well even though they could be made up of 3 million polys, isnt there a pass to just render the visible ones? I dont think we're seeing ALL of those polys used to create the fighters at once, logic would suggest half that, or slightly more.

I don't know how they've designed the engine, but taking an extra pass would surely significantly cut into the polygon power anyway.

assuming that shaders / post processing effects bring that theoretical 1100 million vertices/sec. down to 25% of that level ....

~1100 x 0.25 = 275 million polygons/ sec. , which one can see is just above that 270 million polygons/sec. that I assumed earlier

I don't know about RSX's T&L capabilities (wether that's actually its vertex shading power or its display limit) but isn't 360's theoretical max transform 500 million pp/s? Its the 360 version they're talking about as well. To be honest even if they were talking about PS3 and 1000m was its theoretical limit I still just don't think 270 million pp/s is reasonable in a first generation title. Neither PS2 or XBox reached anywhere near 25% of there theoretical transform and lighting power until near the end of the generation. Ok a first gen GameCube game did but that's probably because it has DX7 fixed T&L rather then a programmable vertex shader.

Back