dominATIon

Thank to Hanners at EliteBastard for posting a hack Xcode on AVivo to run on any Ati hardware that was sent to him by anonymous :cool: . Here the link to the hacking XCode (he mentioned use at your own risk ;) with no support from Elite and Ati). To me, after download and installed on my NC6000 with P-M 655 2.1GHz with Mobility 9600, I can succeed transcode 2GB MPG2 movie file dub from Freeview to AVI H264 about 1Hr. The quality after transcode is, to me, great as the source :D and speedy :oops: . So hope your guy give it a try and if your guy have better option with the same speedy just offer to me.
I have a question to CatMaker, may you elaborate any different no using this Xcode to transcode format on X1K and older raedon series? Something like spacial or specific code built on AVivo that makes quality different or else. And I would say after trying this as it is a great tool for one who want to do transcode as it is very planful on waiting other app to do if you have 2GB file to transcode (waiting more than 3Hrs as the transcode need to run while vdo playing in one of them). Thank for the great Video transcode tool again ATi, I would say well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've since learned that that version of the tool actually works on any video card period, not just ATI boards.

Hanners said:
I've since learned that that version of the tool actually works on any video card period, not just ATI boards.
Thank you for updated :p. So, NV user would have to give a big thank to ATi hiden support too :cool:.
Edit: sorry mistake mentioned your name, correct it now.

Well, it didn't work for this NV user. Ran the setup .bat (old school! :LOL: ), then ran the app --get a Windows "encountered a problem and needs to close" every time.

Edit: Tho there are several reports over at EB that is working for other NV installs, so apparently ATI hates only me. :LOL:

If I understand correctly, it's not hardware accelerated (by the gpu) wherever you run it --yet. Apparently that's in the cards for a future release, tied specifically to x1k hardware --and is being pointed at as a reason they didn't want to open it up to everyone now.

no-X said:
Is encoding with this cracked version software-only, or hardware-accelerated?
It's hardware-accelerated. By the CPU :p

So in other words, the transcoder is just a software application, for now, that's right?
That may explain why Xcode is faster but the quality of the trancoding was not up to the other applications (In the PSP video example seen earlier, for instance).

Rys said:
It's hardware-accelerated. By the CPU :p
kickinnuts.gif

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=753143#post753143

Bond said:
here my findings with asp and avc in mp4:

ASP:

- seems to be simple profile + max 2 non adaptive b-frames
- no qpel, no gmc
- h263 quant
- places the vol together with every keyframe in mp4, which is not allowed in mp4 (seems to be a leftover of the avi workaround doing the same)
- the mandatory ctts atom carrying the b-frame timestamps is missing in mp4
- wanted filesize isnt matched correctly
- i see visual artefacts here and there when decoding
- signals a strange aspect ratio
- seems to place keyframes every ~50 frames but not exactly
- signals the average bitrate as 0
- mp4 seems to play fine in mplayer, vlc and with gabest+ffdshow
- quality is clearly not good

AVC:

- seems to be baseline profile + max 2 non adaptive b-frames
- max 1 reference frame
- no cabac, no weighted (bi)prediction, no multiple slices
- loop uses 0:0, but was never enabled in the encode
- again the strange sar signalled
- the mandatory ctts atom carrying the b-frame timestamps is missing in mp4
- wanted filesize isnt matched correctly by far
- i am unable to play the file with nero, haali and gabest mp4 splitter (jerky in qt7), mplayer and vlc handle it fine
- quality is clearly not good

It could be fast but lots of work ahead - anyway, it's a good start! :)

It's worth noting that you'll have to edit the setup.bat file if you have a non standard XP install.

The program didn't work for me, but I just found out it's because I have XP installed on E: rather than C:. I'm gonna edit my .bat and try it again...

Vysez said:
So, what's the point of releasing the thing as is, now?
To show, that ATi works on it. (probably because nVidia promised HW accelerated encoding on NV4x and never realized it. Now ATi can point it in their slides as usual...) :rolleyes:

It works spiffy for me now, and fast too! :oops:

Under 3 minutes to encode the first 23 minute episode of Fumoffu, and the quality ain't bad. :)

I'll try a movie later and check it out, this is pretty damned sweet!

I didn't think the quality was all that bad at all, but I just did a quick scan and skip thru. I'll watch it in detail later and report back.

no-X said:
To show, that ATi works on it. (probably because nVidia promised HW accelerated encoding on NV4x and never realized it. Now ATi can point it in their slides as usual...) :rolleyes:

Yeah, but you have to admit that its damn funny that ATi releases something that helps an NV card, and something that Nv promised no less. Hahaha.

dominATIon is right, though it should have been helf off a month longer and released a proper way.

Skrying said:
Yeah, but you have to admit that its damn funny that ATi releases something that helps an NV card, and something that Nv promised no less. Hahaha.

dominATIon is right, though it should have been helf off a month longer and released a proper way.
Don't forget, that actual version is not VPU-accelerated. Final (accelerated) version will not run on non-R5xx hardware (probably ;-) ).

no-X said:
Don't forget, that actual version is not VPU-accelerated. Final (accelerated) version will not run on non-R5xx hardware (probably ;-) ).

I know, that's why I said they should have held off on it. It would have avoided a minor mess.

Just a quick note for any other Win2k users like myself. Be sure and edit setup.bat and replace the folders pointing to "c:\windows\system32" with "c:\winnt\system32" since the installer is assuming you're running XP. If you already ran the installer before, modify the batch file and run it again and it should work.

Reactions: Geo
Back