can we see more effects in future than parallax, motionblur, aa+hdr?

SynapticSignal said:
COD2 use a new engine for x360, for example
PD0 too...
care to post links backing this up .

As far as i know cod2 used the engine from the pc modified for the xenon

PDO was largely completed on the xbox before being ported to the xbox 360

No way possible. Just think about it. MGS4 could be a first gen title and look at the difference between it (first gen title) to MGS3 (last gen title).
care to post a link to where its coming out in spring 2006 or anytime in 2006 for that matter

mckmas8808 said:
No way possible. Just think about it. MGS4 could be a first gen title and look at the difference between it (first gen title) to MGS3 (last gen title).

Eh, I think MGS2 had a bigger leap of MGS.
Could you provide pictures of MGS4 though? The only thing I've seen is that trailer with Snake and Rayden fighting to be the hero of the game, which did not look impressive to me.(possibly low quality video though?)

Fox5 said:
Could you provide pictures of MGS4 though? The only thing I've seen is that trailer with Snake and Rayden fighting to be the hero of the game, which did not look impressive to me.(possibly low quality video though?)

You have not seen the TGS trailer of MGS4? o_0

The best place to get it is here: http://www.gamesmediamirror.com/leech_1894_1_en.html

The Raiden/Snake teaser was built on PS2 for E3..

Last edited by a moderator:
mckmas8808 said:

It certainly won't be a first gen title.

Fox5 said:
go now! http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/japanese/mgs4_04.html
you can probably find a higher quality one at gametrailers/ign/gamespot or whatever.

edit: i think it should be noted that, that video is all realtime and in engine by the way. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
msia2k75 said:
It certainly won't be a first gen title.

First gen in the sense that it will be out within the first year of the PS3's release.

But different people have different opinions on what's first gen and what's second gen.

Laa-Yosh said:
Me too. What's that GI done with, a sphere? :)

I don't have a link, it was explained at a NVIDIA demo day by one of their demo software guys. It's used in their demo of "mad mod mike", which is the chubby mascot for the Geforce 7800.

If you remember the Dawn demo, that was the first time NVIDIA used 'indirect lighting'. For that demo, they took a bunch of pictures, assembled them into a cubemap and precomputed the diffuse component based on the pictures. So the diffuse is coming from an image rather than a light source.

For 'mad mod mike', the environmental diffuse component is done per frame, since there are now dynamic lights in the scene. In this case, the character's mobile jetpack lights the scene along with other lights, the environment lit from this is rendered into a cubemap, the diffuse component is for the cubemap is computed per frame and finally this augments the lighting on the character.

Hope that makes sense.

Well, you can call that global illumination as well, but it has nothing to do with the methods used in the common offline renderers, which use raytracing...

Might sound boring compared to GI, but I think depth of field and subsurface scattering are two candiates you will see quite soon. Especially DoF, which has been demoed on MGS 4 and a recent Source Engine build. I think it's fairly certain that Source will make an appearance on at least the Xbox 360 so that should bring their new bag of goodies: DoF, motion blur, film grain, and color correction (did I leave something out?)

Personally, I am a big fan of film grain. I think one of the big problems with graphics today, as they approach photorealism, is that they look too sterile with their clean cut lines. By dirtying up the image a bit you can get a really nice look, but of course it doesn't work for all material. Basically, everything "Mario" (sorry Mario!) does well with the higly focused, clean-cut objects, but something like CoD 2 or Killzone would look wicked with some grain. Personally, I'd even like to see some dirt sticking to the "camera" ;)

Laa-Yosh said:
Well, you can call that global illumination as well, but it has nothing to do with the methods used in the common offline renderers, which use raytracing...

The main issue I see with the cubemap style indirect lighting is the lack of generality. To apply it for everything in the scene you'll need every object to render its own cubemap. It just clogs up into a recursive mess if one keeps going down this path. I wonder if we can just keep on hacking rasterization until we hit photorealism.

jvd said:
care to post links backing this up .

As far as i know cod2 used the engine from the pc modified for the xenon

PDO was largely completed on the xbox before being ported to the xbox 360

care to post a link to where its coming out in spring 2006 or anytime in 2006 for that matter

mmh no
cod2 use a whole new engine for x360

and pd0 was not "largely completed" in any other platform

try with google for the links, I heard interview from developers.

wireframe said:
Especially DoF, which has been demoed on MGS 4 and a recent Source Engine build. I think it's fairly certain that Source will make an appearance on at least the Xbox 360 so that should bring their new bag of goodies: DoF, motion blur, film grain, and color correction (did I leave something out?)
current generation games have already used DoF, motion blur, and film grain (and possibly color correction, depending on what you define as color correction). mario sunshine and starfox adventures have plenty of DoF, as does madden and other sports titles. motion blur is used in a plethora of racing games including driven and NFS: underground. and film grain was used in a servival horror game that's name escapes me at the moment (silent hill or fatal frame).

wireframe said:
Might sound boring compared to GI, but I think depth of field and subsurface scattering are two candiates you will see quite soon.

True subsurface scattering needs raytracing, with lots of samples to avoid noise. We can expect good-looking fake solutions though, like UE3's skin shader.

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
The main issue I see with the cubemap style indirect lighting is the lack of generality. To apply it for everything in the scene you'll need every object to render its own cubemap. It just clogs up into a recursive mess if one keeps going down this path. I wonder if we can just keep on hacking rasterization until we hit photorealism.

This cubemap stuff is good for two reasons:
- somewhat smoother lighting instead of what you'd get with a key light and a few fill lights (all point lights)
- less expensive to calculate
- less expensive in artist time to light your scene

But it's nowhere near as dramatic as a simple (but calculation intensive) ambient occlusion multiplied over any kind of lighting. It's doing small wonders to our scenes, at least ;) Too bad that it really requires raytracing.

Fox5 said:

Under what rock have you been living? ;P

Back