can we see more effects in future than parallax, motionblur, aa+hdr?

I've seen a video of PGR3 where the attention was focused on the deatil and the effects that leave me stunned for his beauty

so seems that hdr+msaa+parallax m.+ motion blur can show incredible results, but what can we see in future, when core/cache locking, procedural textures and the other effects will be used?
so I ask to the experts, can we trust in another big huge jump in effects or we'll se only more polys/detailed textures?

NB for curiosus this is the video (lowres 320x200 and bad encoded, sorry for missing details) I was talkin' about
http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_2085_en.html [the video]
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2390_en.html [screens]

back when EA first released shots from "madden next gen" there was a thread here discussing if the shots were renders or realtime. in that thread i made the prediction that next generation wouldn't give the graphical leap some people were expecting (ie not as big as ps1->ps2), and that we wouldn't see any real new effects, only higher quality ones.

so far i think it's pretty correct, but i think most launch titles look rushed (as usual for a hardware launch), so only time will tell.

see colon said:
back when EA first released shots from "madden next gen" there was a thread here discussing if the shots were renders or realtime. in that thread i made the prediction that next generation wouldn't give the graphical leap some people were expecting (ie not as big as ps1->ps2), and that we wouldn't see any real new effects, only higher quality ones.

so far i think it's pretty correct, but i think most launch titles look rushed (as usual for a hardware launch), so only time will tell.

I think that this is an huge lap, only x360 games have hdr + msaa + parallax mapping + motion blur, what I'm asking is if when second and third generation games will come, we will see newer effect, maybe using core locking, cache locking, procedral textures, tessellaion and so on or if this unused technologies can bring newer effects to us..;)

You'll see more and more use of global illumination effects in the future. Right now, 'one bounce' radiosity is already possible on Geforce 7 class hardware. So as shaders get more powerful, today's graphics will 'soften up' as it uses more and more of the environment to light the subject.

Right now there is really only one xbox 360 game and that is pgr 3 . All the other games were ports .

pgr3 is the start of what is possible . As devs get used to the xbox 360 we will not only see the graphical features of the xbox 360 used (those that are hardwire) but also interesting thigns that can be done using the special featurs of xenos , the shader power and the pecial connections with xenon .

The same will happen with the ps3 . However the leaps wont be as large as many of you are expecting . I believe it could be smaller than the psone - ps2 leap

jvd said:
Right now there is really only one xbox 360 game and that is pgr 3 . All the other games were ports .

pgr3 is the start of what is possible . As devs get used to the xbox 360 we will not only see the graphical features of the xbox 360 used (those that are hardwire) but also interesting thigns that can be done using the special featurs of xenos , the shader power and the pecial connections with xenon .

The same will happen with the ps3 . However the leaps wont be as large as many of you are expecting . I believe it could be smaller than the psone - ps2 leap

I actually have a very hard time believing that. On one hand, I'm led to believe by others that Xbox360 dev kits have been out since years (late 2003?) compared to PS3 devkits - and then on the other, in a thread about Xbox360's utilization, it's all different music all together.

The vast majority of games out now have a lot to improve on with hardware utilization - but saying there's only one 360 game... lets not kid ourselfs.

SDKs for the 360 up until this past summer weren't very close to the final product.

It seems that "true" DevKits are only available 3-6 months prior to launch, before that, the DevKits are somehow "exotic", compared to final hardware.

That might explain the "NGC on steroïd Revolution" rumor, and the lack of impressive X360 launch title.
(It was also the case with various previous consoles launch, which failed to impressed early.)

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
You'll see more and more use of global illumination effects in the future. Right now, 'one bounce' radiosity is already possible on Geforce 7 class hardware. So as shaders get more powerful, today's graphics will 'soften up' as it uses more and more of the environment to light the subject.

thanks
you understand perfectly my question ;)

I kind of agree with JVD. Kameo was on the Xbox for the longest time and according to people at Microsoft it was ported over weeks before E3. Surprisingly many people think it is one of the best looking titles on the system. We could assume the same for Perfect Dark Zero especially from what was shown during the MTV special.

Call of Duty 2 wasn't being made specifically for the Xbox 360. Madden 06 should have been much better if the were working on it for a long time. They weren't even able to put in all the regular Madden stuff. Need for speed most wanted was ported from the last gen console versions. The same thing with King Kong. Most of the Japanese Xbox 360 titles haven't been released yet and the ones that have don't seem to scream eye candy.

PGR3 does seem to be the only title out right now truly made with Xbox 360 hardware in mind…that and possibly Condemned as well but I really don't know the history behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
You'll see more and more use of global illumination effects in the future. Right now, 'one bounce' radiosity is already possible on Geforce 7 class hardware.
Can we get a link? I'm a bit skeptical right now.

Dr. Nick said:
I kind of agree with JVD. Kameo was on the Xbox for the longest time and according to people at Microsoft it was ported over weeks before E3. Surprisingly many people think it is one of the best looking titles on the system. We could assume the same for Perfect Dark Zero especially what was shown during the MTV special.

Call of Duty 2 wasn't being made specifically for the Xbox 360. Madden 06 should have been much better if the were working on it for a long time. They weren't even able to put in all the regular Madden stuff. Need for speed most wanted was ported from the last gen console versions. King Kong same thing with King Kong. Most of the Japanese Xbox 360 titles haven't been released yet and the ones that have don't seem to scream eye candy.

PGR3 does seem to be the only title out right now truly made with Xbox 360 hardware in mind…that and possibly Condemned as well but I really don't know the history behind it.
it's pretty safe to assume condemned runs on the jupiter engine, since the game was developed my monolith. and i recall reading a developer interview with bizarre creations where they said, more or less, that IRT PGR3 it would have been nice to have had the time to make a new engine but they ported and enhanced the PGR2 engine because they wanted to have the game out for launch.

jvd said:

No way possible. Just think about it. MGS4 could be a first gen title and look at the difference between it (first gen title) to MGS3 (last gen title).

see colon said:
it's pretty safe to assume condemned runs on the jupiter engine, since the game was developed my monolith. and i recall reading a developer interview with bizarre creations where they said, more or less, that IRT PGR3 it would have been nice to have had the time to make a new engine but they ported and enhanced the PGR2 engine because they wanted to have the game out for launch.

So that means "NO" new engines made for any Xbox 360 titles? Well I guess that supports my comment above.
icon14.gif

Mintmaster said:
Can we get a link? I'm a bit skeptical right now.

I'm not sure if he was referring to a game - I doubt it - but the Mad Mike demo does something like this IIRC. Side note, but I really love that demo, it's honestly quite amazing.

Phil said:
I actually have a very hard time believing that. On one hand, I'm led to believe by others that Xbox360 dev kits have been out since years (late 2003?) compared to PS3 devkits - and then on the other, in a thread about Xbox360's utilization, it's all different music all together.

The vast majority of games out now have a lot to improve on with hardware utilization - but saying there's only one 360 game... lets not kid ourselfs.

IF you knew anything at all about the scene you would know that the first xbox 360 dev kits were g4s with a 9800pro , next set were dual g5s with x800xts and not untill the end of this sept did they get xenon and xenos in the system .

Compared to the ps3 boxes that were out a short while but had cell chips in them from the middle of summer and6800ultra sli and then 7800s in them i would say the xbox 360 is far from being tapped

Back