Regular
OK, so I have two options basically.

Option 1:
7200RPM 80GB HDD
1GB DDR2

Option 2:
5400RPM 80gb HDD
2gb DDR2

Which option do you guys believe will benefit gaming performance the most?

The ram.

Although I am not sure how the cost of the difference of your options is near to equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh, what the hell.

No way in hell I could stand using a 5400RPM drive in Windows. But that's really besides the point. The price difference between 5400RPM and 7200RPM would be extremely small, no reason at all you shouldnt be able to afford 7200RPM and 2GBs.

How bout you ditch the pentium.. that will give you more performance if the games you play dont need 2GB.

Gholbine said:
OK, so I have two options basically.

Option 1:
7200RPM 80GB HDD
1GB DDR2

Option 2:
5400RPM 80gb HDD
2gb DDR2

Which option do you guys believe will benefit gaming performance the most?
For a laptop? I'm asking, because I thought that 5400RPM HDD in PCs (let alone of a 80GB capacity) were nothing anymore but old tales elders geeks like to narrate to kids.

I'm referring to a Dell XPS laptop... which I wasn't aware were "old tales elders geeks like to narrate to kids".

My budget is roughly $3800, and the only components I'm set on is the 7800GTX and 2.16GHz Yonah (getting the system in January). Obviously my main concern is hardware performance, rather than storage space (or I'd go with 100gb, the highest option).

I can pay an extra $209 to move to 7200RPM (from 5400RPM), or an extra $325 to move to 2gb RAM (from 1gb RAM). Are we all in agreement that the HDD is the better option for gaming (and general) performance?

Etra ram is only going be of any use to you in the games few games that make use of that more ram, and there is almost always options that will let you get away with 1gb and surely will be in future games for quite some time. On the other hand a faster HDD will make let everything load faster, so between the two I think the answer is pretty obvious. That said, the whole deal sounds like a huge rippoff to me.

Get 1GB ram, but pick the option so you can add 1GB later, ram is really cheap if you buy it yourself instead of from dell.

Back