The next-gen Game Boy: Isn't it of strategic importance to ATI?

Interesting comment from Carmack...

http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=1248

"The first generation mobile 3D parts from ATI and nVidia were both botched a bit, but in different ways. I expect the second generation parts to be clean and effective. We are negotiating with ATI about possibly making a dedicated 3D accelerated version of an upcoming mobile game, which would really let me do some cool work on it."

:)

--Mega

AJ said:
Looking forward it's still a tad early to spill the beans. But we've been busy so keep watching this space...

I smell a handheld Xbox. Of course you are free to correct me if I am mistaken.

A handheld from MS could certainly happen but it's going to be tough to compete. With Nintendo entrenched as they are and Sony going after the hip/cool mobile entertainemnt centre craving crowd with the PSP I don't really see any niche for MS.

Ontopic: With the competetion from the PSP, the next-gen Gameboy or DS is going to have to deliver nice graphics so I think it is going to be pretty much inevitable that Nintendo will use a chip from one of the major players but if it will be ATi will really depend on what they have to offer vs the competition. I doubt that their current deal with them for the Gamecube and Revolution will have any significant bearing on the decision.

Goragoth said:
I doubt that their current deal with them for the Gamecube and Revolution will have any significant bearing on the decision.

Huh? Assuming Nintendo is looking for a GPU provider and considering ATI's ongoing momentum in mobile/handheld, the existing relationship with ATI can't possibly not have a significant bearing on such a decision.

I remember reading an article about the designer of several GameBoy handhelds (Pocket, Color, GameBoy Advance and GameBoy Advance SP), in Edge's Equip series which was released in 2003. Back then, he already stated Nintendo was working on the next GameBoy handheld.

It was before Nintendo DS was revealed, so I am wondering wether Nintendo had two handhelds in development at the same time? Iwata said DS's success would affect the timeframe for the next GameBoy (more success = GameBoy is pushed back).

Also, he said he was still thinking about the incorperation of media features like music and movies. I feel Nintendo would have had an insane success with GameBoy Micro, if they had put some flash memory + MP3 playback in.

Will PSP push Nintendo into a 'multimedia' device or wil they stay with pure gaming devices? I think they will take the middle road and try to find a balance between cost and features. Besides, most people already have MP3 players, Mobile Phones,... PSP will be priced lower over the coming years, Nintendo will have to anticipate that (more cost/value).

Back