I don't know what music to listen to anymore

[Brick_top]

Newcomer
As of the last couple of years I gradually stoped enjoying the music I was used to listen and can't find any new music that I like. Has this happened to some of you?

I used to listen to things like: Nirvana, Guns n' Roses, Pearl jam, Phil collins, Pink floyd, James, Dire straits, Steve vai, and a lot of others. Do anyone else find it a bit strange that I can't listen to any of them anymore? the same happens with every other group I listen to, maybe I like some part of some music but there is allways something that turns me off.

The only 2 or 3 songs I enjoyed lately were from the "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" film, and from "Lost in translation" mainly some parts of some instrumentals. I have already spent many hours listening to previews of albuns in Amazon, but withouth finding anything that I can listen to.

Maybe I need to be more specific, If anyone can give their opinions would be great. Sorry for if my english sounds strange.

Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nothing strange. You've heard the old stuff too many times and there's almost nothing new worth hearing out there. Try the new Life Of Agony :)

I went through the same stage.

I recently acquired 2 sets I didn't think I ever would.

The complete Garth Brooks discography and a boxed collection of 80's hits.

That has restored my faith in music because I also was jaded like you.

You might just need to find something that brings your love flooding back and once you have weaned your senses off the songs you have heard repeatedly, you might be able to go back to them after a while :)

It's happened to me too many times for it not to happen for you too.

_xxx_ said:
That's nothing strange. You've heard the old stuff too many times and there's almost nothing new worth hearing out there. Try the new Life Of Agony :)

Thanks for you suggestion, unfortunately that didn't do it for me.
I guess I'll just have to wait to see what happens. Maybe I might add that the same is happening with movies.

Sazar said:
I went through the same stage.

I recently acquired 2 sets I didn't think I ever would.

The complete Garth Brooks discography and a boxed collection of 80's hits.

That has restored my faith in music because I also was jaded like you.

You might just need to find something that brings your love flooding back and once you have weaned your senses off the songs you have heard repeatedly, you might be able to go back to them after a while :)

It's happened to me too many times for it not to happen for you too.

Couriously there is one song from the eighties that I kind of enjoy in some specific moments, it is A-ha's "Take on me", but right now when I think of it, I don't really think I would enjoy listening to it now.

Search if you must, search search and search. Find a band named Mr. Bungle, while no longer together, they represent some of the most off the wall, yet coherent music I've ever heard.

The band was formed by Mike Patton and some of his high school friends before he got famous in Faith No More. But, do not go in expecting another Faith No More. Mr. Bungle is just simply crazy, a mix of jazz, thrash metal, circus music, and a good ole mix of amazing singing and voice effects.

I am kind of in this mood last 4 ~ 5 years ... ehhh nothing that picks my fancy for the most time. There is only a handful of new albums worth listening that came out during that time and that is surely too little to keep me going.

During the last few months I was re-listening Depeche Mode for the most part, it is kind of refreshing, as I was not really listening much to what they did only their Ultra album. So during the "draught" I can see why they were good with the stuff they did before their 101 live CD is very good.

Anyhow I miss good music... the people worth listening to just don't seem to appear in the mainstream and I can't be bothered to dig through a mountaing of crap to get to something good. I can't remember the last song I heard somewhere that I thought wow! I think the last one was "rabbit in your headlights" that from "Uncle" and featured Thom Yorke, but that was already ages ago... a few songs out of the "new popular" bands I liked when it was on the radio the new album from Killers, and the last one from Gorillaz, and Jack Johnson might be worth listening to, as he has really easy going music, but great one at that. Magic Numbers are as well a good new band "Beautiful South" stlye and that is about it... urmmm... can't think of anything else really... I didn't like the new Beck album either :doh:

epicstruggle said:
hindi music is quite nice. And listening to something foreign is really fun.

epic

I don't know if what I sometimes listen to is considered Hindi but it's fun - generally catch it sometimes on some Asia station. I forgot the word for "dance" or "celebration" but it's that kind of stuff. Bangkha? No, I forgot the proper term.

Drives my wife crazy tho.

I've had this for about ten years now, I haven't bought a CD since... hmm must've been Radiohead's "OK Computer".
For a couple of years I've been into 5.1 surround music though, not so much for the music as such itself, but because they many of them sound so fun in my system.
In 5.1 I've listened to music I probably wouldn't ever have listened in plain stereo, namely classical, opera and jazz.. and I've really learned to like them.
Today's "pop music" rarely manages to "lift me up" anymore, most of the older stuff has also lost their shine. Guess I'm just getting old :)
A CD I've thought of buying after these 10 years is Kate Bush's new album, should be listenable.

rabidrabbit said:
A CD I've thought of buying after these 10 years is Kate Bush's new album, should be listenable.

Yep, it's well worth a look. I've only sat down and listened to it right through once, but I was suitably impressed. :)

ive stumbled across a strange subgenre of music that ive heard described as "wiper rock" or even "garage metal" and I like it.

check out Bible of the Devil.
myspace.com/bibleofthedevil has a few songs you can listen to on it. reminds me of like early maiden but with some bits of thin lizzy or acdc.

I would grab some "classics" from genres you don't usually listen to and go from there. Good music is good music.

My favourite album of late (in a similar vein - doesn't really fit my normal tastes) is Imogen Heap's "Speak For Yourself".

Ya, this happens to me quite a bit. I like a variety of music, from gay circuit stuff to light hip hop to euro EBM/darkwave to industrial to some top 40 pop stuff. Despite this, I don't keep on top of any of those genres, so when new stuff comes out I'm always the last to know!

I've foudn the best way to branch out and find new music (for me at least) is to download a mix of stuff I like, usually BBC Essential Mixes, then search the DJ/artist, find their stuff, then if there are any remixes, search on the producer/remixer, etc. This is how I found some nice gems I'd never have stumbled across otherwise, like Radio Soulwax, LCD Soundsystem, Evil Nine, etc.

I've been there too... now I stopped listening to [western] mainstream music all together, except for the random occasional hit here and there.

Among the things I listen now days is classical music, some jazz (i.e. keiko matsui), jpop and most electronic music i.e. ambient / goa...

I urge everyone to check out Dramagods, debut album to be released in Japan tomorrow, worldwide release in early '06.

Check out http://myspace.com/dramagods for a couple of songs. DO IT

I think I haven't been this excited about a new band in 10 years - great stuff.

(official website www.dramagods.com is being redone and should be ready in a couple of days).

Back