XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
one said:
Whoops, the real number came in.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aY7CnxoGtsMI&refer=top_world_news

It sold 41,817 units! :cry: My forecast was a bit off but not far. Yes it's worse than the Xbox 1 and DC.

This was expected. If you lived in Japan? Would you buy anything with an xbox on it? It's even harder for Microsoft to make a dent in Japan after xbox1. I think Microsoft could do better in Japan if they gave the system a new name, the xbox brand just doesn't sit well with them.

winstonsmith1978 said:
This was expected. If you lived in Japan? Would you buy anything with an xbox on it? It's even harder for Microsoft to make a dent in Japan after xbox1. I think Microsoft could do better in Japan if they gave the system a new name, the xbox brand just doesn't sit well with them.
lol changing the name, funny as it sounds I dont think that would have been such a bad idea. Didnt nintendo do something similar with the famicom, and the nes?

Bad_Boy said:
lol changing the name, funny as it sounds I dont think that would have been such a bad idea. Didnt nintendo do something similar with the famicom, and the nes?

IF you mean by the famicom = nes and super famicom = super ness then yea

The main reason why though is that in the states gaming was dead and they wanted to give the illusion of a media center (ironic huh) to apeal to older people . That is why in the states it came with a robot , power pad , zapper and other stuff. The original design even came with floopy discs

jvd said:
IF you mean by the famicom = nes and super famicom = super ness then yea

The main reason why though is that in the states gaming was dead and they wanted to give the illusion of a media center (ironic huh) to apeal to older people . That is why in the states it came with a robot , power pad , zapper and other stuff. The original design even came with floopy discs
Yeah, That makes sense to me, I was just a infant around those times so I never knew.

So how much do you guys predict the 360 will do at the end of the week? Looking at that link again, did the Xbox1 sell 120k in 2 days or 1 week? Im asking because it said something about Feb22 was launch date, but the sales were recorded on the 24th?

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah, That makes sense to me, I was just a infant around those times so I never knew.

So how much do you guys predict the 360 will do at the end of the week? Looking at that link again, did the Xbox1 sell 120k in 2 days or 1 week? Im asking because it said something about Feb22 was launch date, but the sales were recorded on the 24th?

Yea i was in the single digits . I saw it on g4tv icons

Bad_Boy said:

Until the originally planned launch titles are out i wouldnt expect to see much more than this.

Alstrong said:
Last time I checked there were more than 3 days in a week. ;)
Well, the 123K figure for the original Xbox was for 3 days, so 360's 41K figure for 2 days means something, I assume.

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2002/2/25-75
Bloomberg reports today that Microsoft sold about 123,000 Xboxes in the first three days of sale in Japan, almost half of the units shipped, according to an analyst with Credit Suisse First Boston Securities (Japan) Ltd. Microsoft shipped 250,000 at Xbox launch in Japan. Xbox owners purchased an average of 1.58, according to Famitsu.

Edge said:
The 360 launch is now officially a disaster for MS.
You're laying it on pretty thick, but I am starting to think this is true.

1. Limited quantities.
2. No killer launch titles.
3. Defective units. (Sorry, but I have read too much about flawed units to think it's under 3% like they claim)
4. And Japan still doesn't seem to care.

They have the people and the money to make it work, but I bet they are sweating profusely right now. They'd be sweating heavily with a major success as well, but this has got to have some ulcers involved as well as some pink-slips, I'd imagine.

What is with writing off the 360's success in Japan based upon launch? I actually believe the scenario will be a reverse trend from the Xbox - increased success over time. Sure it won't beat the PS3, but ultimately I expect it to be much more successful than the original Xbox.

40-60,000 units is not that bad without DOA4. It was to be expected, it's that simple.

How many units would they have sold with N3, DOA4 and Enchant Arm all ready to go? Probably every last one in stock.

Blue Dragon official unveling Dec 17th. DOA4 launch Dec 29th. We'll see how it goes down. I expect #'s to increase as the titles come out, the reverse of the XBOX1 which had a very strong launch lineup with sales steadily declining afterwards.

Edge it's really pretty sad and pathetic that you take this stuff so personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
whats with this?
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news
same article but 2 different numbers, this one is saying 39%? maybe they sold more than orginally thought? even if still a low number.
That's sourced from Enterbrain, Famitsu's publisher. The previous one, 41K, is from Media Create. Enterbrain's stats is 62K, so their difference would be due to an extrapolation error. 50K in my forecast is looking pretty good bet now ;)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2005/12/12/103,1134395397,46690,0,0.html
This is the Famitsu article that describes Enterbrain's stats on 360, and it has the software sales figures too.

RR6 - 29,891
PDZ - 14,897
NFS:MW - 6,842

The tie ratio (all software sales / hardware units) is 0.91 :!: Too many net auction sellers / European exporters there? Besides, I can't imagine how much Every Party sold.

This tie ratio is just abnormal for a brand-new console in the history and the Famitsu commentator in the article says it's due to those who wait for DOA4 in a positive manner, but I doubt it will change anything.

Thx for clearing that up for me, one. Makes more sense now. and makes me wonder how sales will be after DOA4. (but to me, i really cant justify buying a 300 dollar console for just one or two games; we will see how the people in Japan respond)

scooby_dooby said:
Please tell me Dantruon what games XBOX1 had in it's first year that were comparable to:
1. Ninety Nine Nights
2. Blue Dragon
3. Enchant Arm
4. Chromehounds
5. Lost Odyssey

Can't tell you what they've had within a year, but they did have some rather good software coming its way with Ninja Gaiden (exclusive), PDO (exclusive) as some other from Sega and other well known Japanese publishers. Sure, not much more, but I'd hardly take your list for granted either. As was already pointed out, there's potential, but only time will show if those games really deliver and make an impact. If the console failes to make a big impact by the time those titles come out, don't expect them to sell that hot either because for one, FFXII will be coming out and on the other hand, PS3 will be out / or around the corner with its backwards-compatibility, blu-ray player and lots of support and software coming its way within the next few years that people will be interested about. It's actually a shame, because those titles do have potential... it just happens to be on the wrong console and out at the wrong time.

Scooby said:
40-60,000 units is not that bad without DOA4. It was to be expected, it's that simple.

If you actually stopped making excuses, you'd actually see that it really isn't relevant if the launch is good considering whatever reasons you care to point out - the launch is pretty much a failure regardless, plain and simple. The software should have been there as should have been the demand. They should have rather used those units for the other two markets to make a larger impact and achieve a better headstart considering PS3 is just around the corner. What they have now is a big demand in markets they can't keep up with and Japan with a buttload of units that aren't selling but could have been had they been at the right place.

expletive said:
Seeing as we have no way of seeing what the reality 'at the moment' would be with a more balanced market i'm not sure how we can make this statement. For all we know we could have all consoles launching at 199 if the market were split up evenly.

You make this comment at a point where MS and GC are still in the console race, what if a round of 15% market share causes MS to leave the industry and Nintendo to focus on software and handhelds? Where will the console market be then? It's more than just a snapshot 'at the moment', its the future as well.

I didnt say it was all bad, just that to 'hope' for such dominance by one company in Japan was misguided.

Not sure how this is related but it wasnt really about which company has an advantage, i said it wasnt personally beneficial or necessarily good for the industry to have one company with 70% of the market.

I never said anyone was forced to buy one, just that those who want to buy one are better served when the market is more evenly split.

I would say they would price at $199 if they went cheaper on the hardware but 2 of the 3 main players have steadfastly gone for the most tech possible. You could say that they'd reach $199 faster thanks to a price war if the market was more evenly split - but that wouldn't necessarily be good for the industry though.

Don't get me wrong I am against "hoping for dominance" but I just don't see a viable monopoly having a chance to form in the console market. The situation could change at anytime thanks to the cyclical nature of the hardware. Sony's 70% right now does not guarantee 70% next generation.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft will stay in the market if they're profitable. Furthermore, in any industry where above-normal profits are being made by one company there will be attempts by others to enter the market.

Your last point, you said someone would be in a better position to buy one if the market were more evenly split. Would that be on price alone? In terms of content they'd be at a disadvantage IMO (unless the evenly split market expands the industry and therefore moves the consumer onto a higher indifference curve). Both money and content contribute to utility for the consumer, so we cannot really say one way or another.

I'm sure Microsoft is highly dissapointed at the lackluster turnout. They mentioned how the design appealed to the Japanese consummer and did a lot of focus testing. If I remember correctly even one of the design teams was located in Japan. I do think they'll sell quite a few units with the release of DOA when it finally does get finished. While it certainly didn't help the launch by delaying DOA, I do respect Tecmo to not caving in to pressure to make the launch deadline.

At this point Microsoft has to go for a hail mary pass and try something dramatic in Japan. Maybe throw obscene amounts of money at SEGA for an Virtua Fighter 5 exclusive.

I don't think this can be considered the 'real' 360 launch in Japan, considering the main body of Japanese AAA titles has yet to show - but at the same time it kind of casts a darker cloud on the whole thing as well.

If I were top brass at Microsoft, once it was known that key Japanese launch titles were going to be delayed, I would have redirected half or more of the Japanese 360 launch allotment and had it sent to N. America and/or Europe instead. It was holding the line on the number of units sent to Japan after they already knew the wind had gone out of it title-wise that is the true folly here on Microsoft's part.

Not only would additional supply have hit '360-starved' areas, but then they could have been closer to claiming a 'sold out' condition in Japan as well.

As it stands now 360's at risk of being stigmatized in Japan, a very trend/coolness/fashion obsessed nation.

avaya said:
I would say they would price at $199 if they went cheaper on the hardware but 2 of the 3 main players have steadfastly gone for the most tech possible. You could say that they'd reach $199 faster thanks to a price war if the market was more evenly split - but that wouldn't necessarily be good for the industry though.

The 199 price was just an example on how competition benefits us, it could be any number of things besides price.

avaya said:
Don't get me wrong I am against "hoping for dominance" but I just don't see a viable monopoly having a chance to form in the console market. The situation could change at anytime thanks to the cyclical nature of the hardware. Sony's 70% right now does not guarantee 70% next generation.

Youre right it doesnt guarentee it, i was just pointing out how foolish the people who are 'rooting for it' are.

avaya said:
Both Nintendo and Microsoft will stay in the market if they're profitable. Furthermore, in any industry where above-normal profits are being made by one company there will be attempts by others to enter the market.

Yes, and they will. But a 15% market share globally sure doesnt increase their chances of profitability.

avaya said:
Your last point, you said someone would be in a better position to buy one if the market were more evenly split. Would that be on price alone? In terms of content they'd be at a disadvantage IMO (unless the evenly split market expands the industry and therefore moves the consumer onto a higher indifference curve). Both money and content contribute to utility for the consumer, so we cannot really say one way or another.

We dont really know exactly what the benefit would be for us, it would be different at different times, but equal competition benefits customers, thats undeniable. Maybe its price, maybe its the fact that if Sony had their way they would milk the PS2 for 10 years, maybe its them not trying as hard on the software(seeing as we have no consle options), i dont really know. But competition=good is economics 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back