XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tap In said:
not to sound rude but Japan is fairly xenophobic regarding foreign electronic products.
I've thought and re-thought about this and I am not convinced that this is true. Is America xenophobic or was it just "what you know" when people bought a Zenith TV over a Sony or Panasonic? I would agree that they may have different tastes and needs, but I am not at all convinced any more that they are xenophobic. It may appear like that, but I think that's just an interpretation of the results and a bad one at that.

Japan is simply very self-sustaining when it comes to technologies they want/need. There is no reason for them to buy Zenith or RCA because they have it at home "Made in Japan". That said, I think there may be design factors and production goals in the Xbox that do not suit the Japanese public as well as those found in Nintendo and Sony products.

Is Blue Dragon still hovering around the 10th most anticipated game in Japan?

I think once the game start dropping it will do pretty good, they have WAY more quality games coming out in the first year then they had before,

1. Ninety Nine Nights
2. Blue Dragon
3. Enchant Arm
4. Chromehounds
5. Lost Odyssey
6. DOA 4
7. Ninja Gaiden 2
8. Dead Rising
9. FF X1
10. RR 6

Throw in some very good western action/fps games, and XBLive Arcade, I don't see why it shouldn't sell pretty well in year 1.

Edit: 11. Lost Planet - Capcom
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2389_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
Is Blue Dragon still hovering around the 10th most anticipated game in Japan?

I think once the game start dropping it will do pretty good, they have WAY more quality games coming out in the first year then they had before,

1. Ninety Nine Nights
2. Blue Dragon
3. Enchant Arm
4. Chromehounds
5. Lost Odyssey
6. DOA 4
7. Ninja Gaiden 2
8. Dead Rising
9. FF X1
10. RR 6

Throw in some very good western action/fps games, and XBLive Arcade, I don't see why it shouldn't sell pretty well in year 1.

Edit: 11. Lost Planet - Capcom
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2389_en.html

yes hopefully (for MS's sake) the games will start to make a difference in changing people's perception about a foreign machine.

Top 20 Most Wanted Japanese Console Games
(Updated: Dec 5, 2005)

Rank Game Title Publisher Platform
1 Final Fantasy XII Square Enix PS2
2 Kingdom Hearts 2 Square Enix PS2
3 Rogue Galaxy Sony PS2
4 Tales of the Abyss Namco PS2
5 Biohazard 4 Capcom PS2
6 Metal Gear Solid 4 Konami PS3
7 Mother 3 Nintendo GBA
8 Biohazard 5 Capcom PS3
9 Kimi Kiss Enterbrain PS2
10 Final Fantasy III Square Enix NDS
11 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Nintendo GC
12 Mario Kart DS Nintendo NDS
13 Monster Hunter 2 Capcom PS2
14 Ryuga Gotoku Sega PS2
15 Dead or Alive 4 Tecmo X360
16 Monster Hunter Portable Capcom PSP
17 Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou Atlus PS2
18 Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII Square Enix PS2
19 Xenosaga Episode III Namco PS2
20 Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Konami PS2

from the-magicbox
That should give you a good understanding of where Xbox 360 stand with Japanese gamers. ;)

Phil said:
Now where are those to argue that despite this wonderful launch news, Japan will be a huge success which will ensure the grand support of the big producers such as Square-Enix and others...?

Speaking of which, there's an intersting read over at GAF on some of the impressions of gamers from Japan talking about Microsoft's efforts and the overwhelming attention they're receiving...

The sucess in europe and na will drive square-enix and others onto the platform

Which has been said by me many a times.

It may drive SE to the platform but it provides little incentive to not provide PS3 with their AAA titles. I'd say the odds of DQ moving to 360 are about 0% and FF significantly higher. Having either title won't really help 360 in Japan because they would both be on a console the consumer already owns (and prefers). Having FF could help somewhat in NA, but really fans of FF are most likely fans of other JRPGs. Thus, from what information is available so far, owning a PS3 would be in their best interest. If they ended up owning both consoles, the motivating factor would likely be graphics, but I doubt there will be a large enough difference for this to be of any influence. What 360 really needs is an exclusive JRPG, perhaps a new title.

all accounts so far shows that the na and europe markets for ff and dragon quest are just as big as the japanese market .

With its head start in these markets it will be very stupid for square enix not to put tripple a titles on it .

ninelven said:
It may drive SE to the platform but it provides little incentive to not provide PS3 with their AAA titles. I'd say the odds of DQ moving to 360 are about 0% and FF significantly higher. Having either title won't really help 360 in Japan because they would both be on a console the consumer already owns (and prefers). Having FF could help somewhat in NA, but really fans of FF are most likely fans of other JRPGs. Thus, from what information is available so far, owning a PS3 would be in their best interest. If they ended up owning both consoles, the motivating factor would likely be graphics, but I doubt there will be a large enough difference for this to be of any influence. What 360 really needs is an exclusive JRPG, perhaps a new title.

But at the end of the day the question will be, "will the new franchises on the 360 drive the Japanese to buy the system?"

jvd said:
all accounts so far shows that the na and europe markets for ff and dragon quest are just as big as the japanese market .
This may be the case (could you provide source... I didn't realize DQ was that big outside of Japan), however in NA and Europe the markets are fractured, while in Japan they are not. The point being they can still reach the vast majority of their audience while maintaining a more lucrative exclusive contract. The real question is how many wanted to play these games but didn't because they did not have a PS2. I am one of them, but I bet there aren't very many like me.

jvd said:
With its head start in these markets it will be very stupid for square enix not to put tripple a titles on it .
And it isn't really stupid when the people who would buy these games already own / will own the platform they are being developed for.

I just read from somebody that knows this whole Japan numbers stuff that only 20% of Xbox 360s were actually preordered.

Now if we only knew how many 360s were sent to Japan.

I can't wait for launch figures. I guess it will have a high sell-through rate, but very little actually available in the first place.

jvd said:

Thats naive. A headstart doesn't mean anything unless they keep it up. Its not like the installed base of the X360 is going to be mindblowing by the time the PS3 rocks around. Plus, its pretty well known that both series will be on PS3 (lets not kid ourselves), why bother putting it on another console which isn't accustomed to Eastern RPGs, missing out on exclusive $$$ and diluting the franchise at the same time?

Oh, for what its worth:
Gamespot/Kitase said:
"As a hint, one thing I can say is that the FFVII technical PS3 demo was supervised by me, and created by Toriyama and his team staff. I'll leave it to you, but you can imagine that development [of the PS3 FF] is happening via a similar process
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/08/news_6127146.html

And they've already said they will release both FF + DQ on the same console so their fans don't have to buy multiple hardware.

mckmas8808 said:
I just read from somebody that knows this whole Japan numbers stuff that only 20% of Xbox 360s were actually preordered.

Now if we only knew how many 360s were sent to Japan.

I remember 200000 units being mentioned in another thread, however I didnt quite believe it, that sounds like too much for the japanese market.

This may be the case (could you provide source... I didn't realize DQ was that big outside of Japan), however in NA and Europe the markets are fractured, while in Japan they are not. The point being they can still reach the vast majority of their audience while maintaining a more lucrative exclusive contract. The real question is how many wanted to play these games but didn't because they did not have a PS2. I am one of them, but I bet there aren't very many like me

we were told that dq was selling extremely well and we couldnt keep it in stock . Dunno if it hit the 4 million it sold in japan . but of course its been out what a month in the states ?

FF sells just as well in the states and europe as it does in japan . That is two markets more that they can sell too .

IN these markets xbox 360 can have up to a year or more to build up a user base .Most likely in na and europe ms will have a sizable lead through 2006 and into 2007

And it isn't really stupid when the people who would buy these games already own / will own the platform they are being developed for.
using that logic they never would have left nintendo .

But they did because sony offered the better deal and had a userbase in the world that was very high before the n64 even launched.

Thats naive. A headstart doesn't mean anything unless they keep it up. Its not like the installed base of the X360 is going to be mindblowing by the time the PS3 rocks around. Plus, its pretty well known that both series will be on PS3 (lets not kid ourselves), why bother putting it on another console which isn't accustomed to Eastern RPGs, missing out on exclusive $$$ and diluting the franchise at the same time?
Whats naive is to think that square wouldn't go where the money is .

Right now we are hearing spring 2006 for the ps3 . If this is only japan than that means In europe and na ms will have the field to themselves for 8 + months , perhaps even having europe to themselves for over a year .

Ms will also be through ramping up production and if they hit thier goals will have 3 million or so units shipped by febuary with 10 million shipped in the first year .

Even if they can't sell all 10 million , that is sure to be alot more units than sony has out in the market at that time frame .

Mean while ports wont dilute a franchise (though putting out so many sequals normaly would esp with so little time between them) I don't see gta selling poorly because it was on 2 systems and the pc . If anything a deal with ms will greatly enhance the money they make off the series and help ease the transition period between new consoles .

jvd said:
we were told that dq was selling extremely well and we couldnt keep it in stock . Dunno if it hit the 4 million it sold in japan . but of course its been out what a month in the states ?
So you were just guessing that it will be the case and there are no actual "accounts". I have no doubt the game will sell very well initially. The fans of the series are often pretty hardcore; however, I will be suprised if it sustains that performance.

jvd said:
FF sells just as well in the states and europe as it does in japan . That is two markets more that they can sell too .
I never said otherwise. What two more markets? You just said it already sells as well in the US and Europe as in Japan. Consider your bonus target audience:

1) They must own a 360 but not a PS3 (this is going to cut down your audience significantly)

2) Must be seriously interested in the titles. Now the question you must ask yourself is why a serious fan of JRPGs would not own a PS3.

Now, are the people remaining a large enough body to give up a more favorable contract? I contend no.

jvd said:
IN these markets xbox 360 can have up to a year or more to build up a user base .Most likely in na and europe ms will have a sizable lead through 2006 and into 2007
Any JRPG likely will not be released until late 2006 at the earliest.

jvd said:
using that logic they never would have left nintendo .
Unless you failed to actually think about what you just said, you and I both know that is false. N64 was late and ill suited to the design goals Square had in mind for FF. The PS3 is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you were just guessing that it will be the case and there are no actual "accounts". I have no doubt the game will sell very well initially. The fans of the series are often pretty hardcore; however, I will be suprised if it sustains that performance.

There are no npd numbers , however the item is hard to find and has sold out at many stores .

The game is doing well. Remember the japanese version was out for almost 6 months before it hit the 4 million mark . The usa version has been out about a month .

I never said otherwise. What two more markets? You just said it already sells as well in the US and Europe as in Japan. Consider your bonus target audience:
thats 2 markets right there that sell as wel las japan . Both markets ms will have a sizable lead in units over sony

1) They must own a 360 but not a PS3 (this is going to cut down your audience significantly)
Not at all . In the usa and europe the ps3 most likely wont launch till 2006 or 2007 respectively . Meaning the number of people who own a ps3 will be small and then umber of people that own both will be even smaller in these two markets .

ALso the supply of xbox 360s will not be limited and they will flow freely that holiday while the ps3 will most likely still have trouble with meeting demand as production ramps up

) Must be seriously interested in the titles. Now the question you must ask yourself is why a serious fan of JRPGs would not own a PS3.

I don't and i never will own a ps3 , i would love to buy dragon warrior , ff and other jrpgs on my xbox 360 however

Any JRPG likely will not be released until late 2006 at the earliest.
And ms will still have the lead. Sony has not said anything about a world wide launch and has never done one before . Using the time tables for the ps2 and psp if japan gets the system in march of 2006 , the usa would get it in sept / october of 2006 and europe would get it early 2007.

Meaning in the usa and na the xbox 360 would have been on sale for a full year and for the second holiday will most likely see ap rice drop and in europe the xbox 360 will have been on sale for over a year before the ps3 even makes it to the market .

You seem to believe that hte ps3 is going to sell an awfull lot of systems late 2006

Unless you failed to actually think about what you just said, you and I both know that is false. N64 was late and ill suited to the design goals Square had in mind for FF. The PS3 is not

The n64 would have served them just fine as a dev platform and they could have actually had better 3d worlds than they did with the psone versions and they could have dumped the crappy cgi

jvd said:
thats 2 markets right there that sell as wel las japan . Both markets ms will have a sizable lead in units over sony
For how long?

jvd said:
Not at all . In the usa and europe the ps3 most likely wont launch till 2006 or 2007 respectively . Meaning the number of people who own a ps3 will be small and then umber of people that own both will be even smaller in these two markets .
Unfounded conjecture.

jvd said:
ALso the supply of xbox 360s will not be limited and they will flow freely that holiday while the ps3 will most likely still have trouble with meeting demand as production ramps up
And you know this how?

jvd said:
I don't and i never will own a ps3 , i would love to buy dragon warrior , ff and other jrpgs on my xbox 360 however
So you would love to play DQ and FF, just not enough to buy the console they would be on? I can believe that, but I can't believe such a position would be commonplace.

jvd said:
And ms will still have the lead.
You are certain of that? Impressive.

jvd said:
You seem to believe that hte ps3 is going to sell an awfull lot of systems late 2006
No, what I believe is that there are an awful lot of Japanese gamers (the primary audience of both series) of whom will choose the PS3 as their console of choice.

jvd said:
The n64 would have served them just fine as a dev platform and they could have actually had better 3d worlds than they did with the psone versions and they could have dumped the crappy cgi
Except they wanted the FMV, so no the N64 wouldn't have. Furthermore, judging by the success of FF7, I think it would be hard to argue that they were wrong.

This is all well and good, but to focus more on the topic itself... what's the word right now on how the 360 has done by the end of launch day in Japan? I'm genuinely - and very - curious on this one. I've heard all sorts of reports from 'not selling at all' to 'selling out' so that's quite the range.

I'll of course be curious to see where things stand at the end of launch weekend and the launch week and month and year as well, but as far as 360 and Japan go, this is our definite first benchmark.

So... any word on numbers/percentages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back