Ten things I hate about the Xbox 360: CNET

Joe DeFuria said:
Heh...curiously...what is he using all those ports for.

Right now ? wifi in teh back , then he is using a 120 gig usb hardrive for music . Then the rest is for when we all hang out and play games , We all have plug and play kits on us

kyleb said:
Well the answer to both your questions is no, so either I am totally missing your point our you have your facts seriously messed up.

I assume you were responding to my post?

If you were:

How is the HDMI video signal better or worse than the same signal transmitted via Component cables?

How is the HDMI audio signal better or worse than the same signal transmitted via the optical/coxial connector?

Yes I was responding to your post and it isn't the same video signal at all. Component uses a compressed analog stream that has to be coverted back to digital on most modren displays while HDMI supports a direct and uncompressed digital signal. What differents that makes if any at all depends on a vast number of factors, but they are quite simply not the same signal.

kyleb said:
Yes I was responding to your post and it isn't the same video signal at all. Component uses a compressed analog stream that has to be coverted back to digital on most modren displays while HDMI supports a direct and uncompressed digital signal. What differents that makes if any at all depends on a vast number of factors, but they are quite simply not the same connection for video by any means.

but can u show us where one is superior in practice and not in specs ?

jvd said:

That's going to depend.

Yes, technically HDMI should be better but some displays have poorer electronics when it comes to some of their inputs (e.g. Component signals might get trashed as opposed to HDMI) but for the vast majority of electronics, I'm guessing that there will be little to no difference. Component has lots of bandwidth for 720p signals so I doubt any but the most trained eyes might be able to spot the difference (but to be sure you'd need to calibrate both signals separately).

Here's a question though, if you got it, why not use it?

Here's a question though, if you got it, why not use it

Sure but i only have one . Rather put my tv source through it :)

Don't want to have diffrent devices fighting over my one hdmi connector

jvd said:
Sure but i only have one . Rather put my tv source through it :)

Don't want to have diffrent devices fighting over my one hdmi connector

Yes, absolutely. In fact I tend to use my best connection for DVD playback as I figure my high end DVD player will tend to have far better PQ than my various video game consoles.

When HDMI receivers begin to make it out though (in fact there is a cheap JVC one now) you'll simply run HDMI signals into it and one HDMI signal out to your TV.

jvd said:
There aren't really any easy examples which is why I avoided claiming one was superior than the other; I simply pointed out that fif was wrong in his assumption that it is just the same signal either way. But if you want examples then try a few LCD monitors with VGA and DVI and I'm sure you will find some that will show you a difference between analog and digital. How the compression used with component video can effect image quality is far more complicated to even understand what to look for, but you are truly interested then I'm sure you will find lots of info in it if you Google around for "chroma subsampling."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think reason 1. and 10. are the most important.

The XBOX 360 should have been any colour except beige.. I mean even pink would have been better. This is my personal opinion.. so there.

As to availability.. well I don't think the console has been launched yet. The first worldwide release was for the hardcore early adopters and the real release for the general public is to take place next year. ;)

I don't know if this was already stated, but...

You guys do realize they do this exact same type of article for most major electronics releases? I can remember reading many "Top Ten Things I Hate About ________" articles from this site. Jeez, simmah down now, simmah down!

Tahir2 said:
The XBOX 360 should have been any colour except beige.. I mean even pink would have been better. This is my personal opinion.. so there.
Good thing it's not beige then. ;)

.Sis

1. Beige isn't the new black
2. No killer games at launch
3. Accessories cost a small fortune
4. The hard drive isn't big enough
5. Limited keyboard/mouse support at launch
6. No built-in Wi-Fi
7. Not enough USB ports, especially on the back
8. No HDMI or DVI connectivity
9. No built-in card reader
10. You can't get it

1. Personal preferences don't count as it's personal.
2. I do think he has a point, CoD2 is cool but you can get it on PC also PGR3 isn't worth getting a 360 for.
3. M$ does need to make a profit don't they and why the hell do people nagg about a few bucks and then turn and spend $1000 on a SLI GTX configuration.
4. 20GB's is big enough it's just that people kept nagging on backwardcompatibility M$ had to use 7GB's of 20GB just for backwardscompatibility.
So for all the naggers out there thanks for letting M$ waste 7GB's of my HDD just because you were too lasy to keep your Xbox 1 connected to your TV.
Like I wanna play my Xbox 1 games now I have my 360 anyway.
5. Stay with your expensive PC then just because you can't get used to something new.
Just watch King Tuur (Halo 2 champion) own everyone with his controller.
And I'm quite sure he would own anyone on this using their KB/M using just his controller S.
6. Nagg about a mere $400 for this amasing hardware and then ask for more pfff... some people want gold for bronze.
7. 3 USB ports is enough by me nagg nagg...
8. Why would M$ use HDMI or DVI digital connectors when their console can only output analog signals?
You wouldn't notice any difference.
9. Nagg, nagg...
10. You should have pre-ordered one or been at the store first to be the first in line.
If you want something you'll have to do something for it.

kyleb said:
How the compression used with component video can effect image quality is far more complicated to even understand what to look for, but you are truly interested then I'm sure you will find lots of info in it if you Google around for "chroma subsampling."

The way I understand it, you won't escape chroma subsampling with anything that outputs through hdmi, just as well as component. If it is a program that has been through a digital compression stage as a simple matter of the distribution media, it will have been chroma subsampled (I would lament with you that this is yet another thing HD could have evolved a step forward from SD, but it instead, simply carried on in its tradition). Realtime CGI through hdmi/dvi would be the only exception I can think of (and even that isn't guaranteed)...

Guilty Bystander said:
had to use 7GB's of 20GB just for backwardscompatibility.
So for all the naggers out there thanks for letting M$ waste 7GB's of my HDD just because you were too lasy to keep your Xbox 1 connected to your TV

Please tell me you're joking. Did you take even 1 minute to stop and think this through?

What do you think 360 uses to cache 360 games? Think about it.

At most 2.25 GB is dedicated to BC, the rest is to imrpove YOUR gameplay experience(caching for 360 games). So, with that in mind, I'm sure MS will accept your gratitude.

1. Beige isn't the new black
2. No killer games at launch
3. Accessories cost a small fortune
4. The hard drive isn't big enough
5. Limited keyboard/mouse support at launch
6. No built-in Wi-Fi
7. Not enough USB ports, especially on the back
8. No HDMI or DVI connectivity
9. No built-in card reader
10. You can't get it

1. Taste.
2. True.
3. True.
4. Depends what you wanna do with it.
5. I don't care ! I already have a PC, I don't want another, I want a console...
6. True.
7. Non issue. Wireless pads...
8. Don't care, but DVI would have been an added bonus.
9. Non issue.
10. Sure you can.

The most important thing to me is that there's no interesting game for it atm, so there's no need to even consider purchasing it...

[edit]
Since someone didn't notice it, I'm speaking for my very own case and taste.
(Something that should be trivial and obvious to anyone anyway.)

Please tell me you're joking. Did you take even 1 minute to stop and think this through?

What do you think 360 uses to cache 360 games? Think about it.

At most 2.25 GB is dedicated to BC, the rest is to imrpove YOUR gameplay experience(caching for 360 games). So, with that in mind, I'm sure MS will accept your gratitude.

360 games don't need caching why do you think you can play without your HDD?
Some small space might be reserved for Xbox Live but nowhere near 1GB let stand 7GB's.
I deleted everything off my HDD and all I got left was 13GB's.
So if you know everything better then please enlighten me and tell where the other 7GB's went to.

Do you really think M$ wanted BC?
It only costs them money for nothing it's just to keep the naggers off their back.

Your clueless man, just stop now. Just because they don't require caching doesn't mean they don't enable caching. See the dif?

Look up one of the million developer interviews, having a HDD speeds up your games. Turning on HDD caching from the DVD is like flicking the switch, something MS has built into their system purposefully to make it extremely easy for developers to make use of the HDD cache areas.

I've been told this by a developer working on TH: American Wasteland. Enabling HDD caching on 360 is extremely easy, and expect to see it on pretty much all 360 games that need it.

Developers like Bethesda who is making Elder Scrolls 4 have strongly suggested their customers puirchase the HDD as it will greatly improve their gameplay experience.

This is common knowledge man.

Ingenu said:
The most important thing to me is that there's no interesting game for it atm, so there's no need to even consider purchasing it...
COD2 and Kameo are seriously two of my favorite games now (along with DQ8). Geometry Wars tides me over when I only have a few minutes to play.

In terms of quality launch titles, this has been a great one for me...

.Sis

Sis said:
COD2 and Kameo are seriously two of my favorite games now (along with DQ8). Geometry Wars tides me over when I only have a few minutes to play.

In terms of quality launch titles, this has been a great one for me...

.Sis

COD2 is available on the PC (so no need to purchase a X360), and Kameo is just good IMO. (Played around 10 hours of it)

Back