about that holographic format...

pixelbox

Regular
So it's able to store 300gb on a disk. Ok, so why even try with blu-ray? Wouldn't this format kill blu-ray? IMO, 300gb is way too much, what do you guys think? Also, is it possible to have 1080p plus 60fps movies on blu-ray? I don't have time to do the math.:rolleyes:

Eventually yes, or something similar.
But for the near future, the beginning of "HD Era" it is still way too expensive tech to be competitive, and also the capacity is overkill for Hollywood.
For mass storage the extra extra space is always good, but for games and movies the storage capacity is just way too ahead of other technology.
The faster transfer speeds would be nice though, I guess, though I'm not sure would much of that go to waste with near future games and processors?
Edit: oh so this was about some 300GB capacity holographioc disc, not that terabyte(s) disc, still whike the capacity is more in what next gen seems to need, the cost of the tech is still too much.
btw how is the rewriteability of holographic discs? Would home writers be even further away in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
pixelbox said:
So it's able to store 300gb on a disk. Ok, so why even try with blu-ray? Wouldn't this format kill blu-ray? IMO, 300gb is way too much, what do you guys think? Also, is it possible to have 1080p plus 60fps movies on blu-ray? I don't have time to do the math.:rolleyes:

The problem with 1080p60 is that the movies are only shot at 24fps anyway, so even if it were capable of it (i'm not sure to be honest), the movies would still be at about 30fps.

Sports and other TV programs recorded to Bluray might be the only thing running at 1080p60, IF Bluray allows it obviously. But even those are only shot at 720p60 these days, the majority of them anyway, although i guess things will change over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the cost factor, the other difference is just time to market. Holographic storage formats are still pretty much only around in the labs and expos, whereas Bluray hardware and discs are already available. Even if 300 GB or 1 TB seems like way too much, there are some areas where it works out nicely -- mainly as an archival media. There's still a need for more capacity there.

Also pertaining to the question of --
btw how is the rewriteability of holographic discs? Would home writers be even further away in the future?
I would have to guess the rewriteability is pretty poor. I don't know how far they've come along on certain things, but part of the theory allows you record multiple bits at the same physical location on the disc by adjusting the reference laser. However, the more you do this, the "fuzzier" previous bits get, so you can only keep doing this until you're basically still 100% certain that no bits are lost (which in turn is part of the limitation on capacity). I would imagine that a similar phenomenon would hit you on a rewrite -- it could mean that some of the previously stored data may "ghost" into new writes after a couple of cycles. Of course, solutions for that lie in different materials and there's been a lot of work done in that area, so I don't know how far people have come on it.

Some people will just never learn.

It's easy to say "Well there's this new thing in the labs that's SO much better than BDROM so what's the point of getting BDROM now!!"..

There could be anything in the labs now. The point of a format's success is that it needs to be launched properly, and supported by a lot of companies who pretty much shove it down our throats "convincing" us that we need it.

Until Sony or Matsushita or a group of very big companies are behind it and invest a lot of money and resources to shove it down our throats together with new players, nothing is gonna "take over" BDROM or HDDVD or even DVD.

Besides i think that this holographic discs will be used mostly for personal storage, as i expect, by the time it comes out "properly", HD movies will be available over the net and BDROM/HDDVD will be the last real formats we'll be buying for watching movies. But that's just me.

HD movies will be available over the net and BDROM/HDDVD will be the last real formats we'll be buying for watching movies. But that's just me.
Until of course, someone comes along and says "the future is UHDTV!!" and starts shoving 7680x4320x60fps progressive displays down our throats. And J Allard will be there wearing drag talking about a new transition and how Xbox 1080 will be a gateway into the future.

Bluray wont last long as a writing tech . Internet connections keep getting faster . My cable company notified me that as of febuary they will be doubleing my speed why droping my monthly fee 10$ . My cousin just got double the speed and a 5$ drop from verizon .

As speeds get faster people will download more and more and it wont be long before they are ging to need more than a bluray amount of room .

Both hd-dvd and bluray are ways of the media companys to make more money shoving another stop gap format down our throats .

They do have working prototypes, so it's not a totally in the labs thing. As for re-writing, I don't see why the fuzziness is a problem. Just read the entire block, and write it again. No fuzziness problems then!

DudeMiester said:
They do have working prototypes, so it's not a totally in the labs thing. As for re-writing, I don't see why the fuzziness is a problem. Just read the entire block, and write it again. No fuzziness problems then!

Actually its more than working prototypes really, the tech is in use commercially already. This is more of a transition to CE.

Back