Temprature measurements for Xb360

Qroach said:
the fans kick in based on tempreture. If you just siwtch the system on and it's in teh dasb board it's quiet. Same as using a DVD movie. Put a game in and the fans kick in until the tempreture has lowered. I think this person didn't measure the tempreture accurately.

...and guden sell that xbox 360 tosomone that will enjoy the thing. Save us another one of you tirades. It's almost like you bought the console just so you can bitch about it.

The measurements are accurate... You don't feel much heat when only the dashboard is on, because there is not much air flow at the fan exhaust (fans are spinning slowly). It maybe like wind-chill effect but the opposite.. The wind in cold make the weather feel colder than it actually is. The feeling of hotter air when the fans spin faster may be simply the same effect.

Btw, by a coincidence, Dave gave power figures for Xb360 for different configurations yesterday. The amount of power drawed is somehow inline with these temprature readings. Link

Guden Oden said:
Sorry Quincy, I'll continue to speak my mind on issues that annoy me, no matter if it's your beloved microsoft xbox, or the silly PS3 batarang controller or the incomprehensible reason nintendo still hasn't released the DS in anything else but scratch-prone silverspray color, or perhaps something else entirely.

Guden, you can F'off with the "your beloved Microsoft xbox" bullshit. This has nothing to do with PS3, nintendo or any console you percieve to be my favourtie. It has to do with you and your incessive need for complaining. There's nothing wrong with mentioning the negatives about something. I agree with many people that kameo has shit controls for most of the characters, Perfect dark has issues, and alot of the launch title look like garbage. Howeve ryou aren't finding anything postitive from what I can tell. Some of your comments take it to the extreme, and that is different from any negatives others mention.

So to recap:

1. You haven't held the PS3 controller, so shut up about the damn shape of the thing.
2. If you you don't like the color of the DS then paint your eyes a shade of blue or whatever color floats your boat. Wear tinted glasses for all anyone cares.
3. You obviously don't like the xbox, I don't know how you can say it's a "good console" when you clearly haven't been happy with any of it's aspects, and even went as far as breaking one of your games over displeasure with it.

What's the point in only mentioning the GOOD stuff, I'm certainly not going to skip talking about the annoyances regarding your precious just because sensitive people like you and a few others don't want to hear about it.

I don't give a shit about "mentioning only good stuff", and no, I'm not sensitve at all, I'm just tired of hearing you spout nonsense. I doubt you've mentioned much you like about the console, ane even when you do you still throw in a negative. Just do the reasonable thing and sell the system. Otherwise, you only have your self to blame for all the things you don't like! If i ever complained about any console as much as you have over the past week, i would get rid of it.

I mean, if you could organize your tirades into something that isn't obviously a spaz with anger problems freaking out about the littlest things then fine. If we really believe you when you say you broke the perfect dark disk and smashed the box, (obviously because you suck at the game) then you have some serious problems outside of the console itself. The game is hard, but not that hard.

How about I borrow from what you have written and change the end of the sentance. "I'll continue to speak my mind on issues that annoy me, no matter if it's your" opinion or fact. I'm sorry if you are too sensitive to accept that.

Last edited by a moderator:
drpepper said:
What ever happened to pre-emptive multitasking? What OS is running the 360. Surely something based on NT. Is this to ensure a responsive UI?

It's based off of the Xbox OS, which in turn is based off of the NT kernel.

LOL some of the people here really need to unbunch thier panties...

Either people like Guden there got the most sensitive ears ever or they're just saying they bought a X360 to make thier complaints seem valid. X360 isn't loud, you want to see a loud console you go and listen to a Dremcast, now that thing is LOUD, and I don't recall anyone bitching about it half as much as some of you seem to be whining about how the X360 looks, sounds, weighs etc.

I measured 96 degrees F on mine at the back exhaust after I had been playing PGR-3 for an hour. 129 deg does sound pretty darned hot.

I agree it is pretty noisy when you start up a game, though I never notice because I have the game cranked up anyways in 5.1 channel. Havent tried playing DVD's yet. It's more of a white noise kind of sound anyways, not real whiny to my ears, so even though it's loud it's not real annoying.

My Motorola HD cable box has a fan in it, and though its not as loud, it has an annoying high pitched whine to it. And that has to stay on all the time or you lose your TV programming and your record ability.

I've had no lock ups with the Xbox so far, and the power brick doesnt get very warm to the touch. Only played three games though, PGR-3, Gun, and COD-2. I have my machine and power brick sitting on a hardwood floor with nothing else nearby. The main unit is sitting upright.

Oh, and Geometry Wars rocks! Btw, if you go into the garage in PGR_3 to look at your cars, there are two arcade machines off to one side. Just walk up to them and you can play GW from there.

kid_crisis said:
I measured 96 degrees F on mine at the back exhaust after I had been playing PGR-3 for an hour. 129 deg does sound pretty darned hot.

I agree it is pretty noisy when you start up a game, though I never notice because I have the game cranked up anyways in 5.1 channel. Havent tried playing DVD's yet. It's more of a white noise kind of sound anyways, not real whiny to my ears, so even though it's loud it's not real annoying.

My Motorola HD cable box has a fan in it, and though its not as loud, it has an annoying high pitched whine to it. And that has to stay on all the time or you lose your TV programming and your record ability.

I've had no lock ups with the Xbox so far, and the power brick doesnt get very warm to the touch. Only played three games though, PGR-3, Gun, and COD-2. I have my machine and power brick sitting on a hardwood floor with nothing else nearby. The main unit is sitting upright.

Oh, and Geometry Wars rocks! Btw, if you go into the garage in PGR_3 to look at your cars, there are two arcade machines off to one side. Just walk up to them and you can play GW from there.

Hmm.. Now you make me nervous.. 33F difference is quite a lot.. My Xb360 also sits on a coffee table with good ventilation around... How close is the thermometer to Xb360?

Btw, thanks for the GW tip :)

Well, I did use a crappy standard room mercury thermometer, and I held it as close as I could without completely blocking the air flow (maybe 0.25" away) and waited about a minute for the thermometer to stabilize in value.

I have a better digital thermometer with a probe that I should have used. I will dig that out when I get home and try again. Btw, forgot to mention my ambient room temp was 74 deg F.

OK, couldn't find my digital thermometer, but retook measurements with the standard one. I think last time I played PGR-3 for a while and then took a temp measurement at the back port of the Xbox, but I didn't have the game playing while I took the measurement, and the thermometer is slow enough that the Xbox probably cooled down a bit before I could finish my measurement.

This time I played PGR-3 for a half hour, then looped a replay of the final race I did, and let the thermometer stady state with the machine (hopefully) at full speed. It hit 105 deg F this time, a bit closer to your measurement.

The only caveat is that the thermometer I'm using is rather large and blocks the airflow out of the back of the Xbox somewhat. I had the thermometer about 0.25" away from the back of the machine.

kid_crisis said:
OK, couldn't find my digital thermometer, but retook measurements with the standard one. I think last time I played PGR-3 for a while and then took a temp measurement at the back port of the Xbox, but I didn't have the game playing while I took the measurement, and the thermometer is slow enough that the Xbox probably cooled down a bit before I could finish my measurement.

This time I played PGR-3 for a half hour, then looped a replay of the final race I did, and let the thermometer stady state with the machine (hopefully) at full speed. It hit 105 deg F this time, a bit closer to your measurement.

The only caveat is that the thermometer I'm using is rather large and blocks the airflow out of the back of the Xbox somewhat. I had the thermometer about 0.25" away from the back of the machine.

It seems that we are the only two that makes these measurements :)

Anyway, I tried again today... When I am taking the measurements this time, I realized that I got very high numbers in the previous time, because I put something behind the box that will hold the sensor but at the same time blocks the air flow (which obviously resulted in a significant increase in the temprature)

This time, I read the measurements continously for half an hour. When I boot the machine, it increases temprature steadily until it hit around 100F, then it says there (this is dahsboard). When I fired up the game, the temprature goes up to 115F and stay there. But, you are right, it never hit 120 let alone 129F..

One other interesting thing is the heat safety margin is not that small as people think. As I found out that accidentally, xb360 can still continue to work reliably even if the temprature goes up as high as 129F (probably even more). This is almost 15F margin to its normal operation temprature.

Just to let u know , we have 2 units in the house

Mine stays war m , my sisters gets really hot though.

I don't know if its cause i have a better place for it or not . But there is a big differnce

jvd said:
Just to let u know , we have 2 units in the house

Mine stays warm , my sisters gets really hot though.

I don't know if its cause i have a better place for it or not . But there is a big differnce

People have been describing a burn-in like effect where the box will start to run cooler after extended use. Could be that you've used yours much more then she has used hers.

robofunk said:
People have been describing a burn-in like effect where the box will start to run cooler after extended use. Could be that you've used yours much more then she has used hers.
No its most likely the other way around . She plays a few hours a day. I really don't . I get mabye an hour a day . She is off from school

OK, Silouette, thanks for retaking the measurements. Interesting info, there. Also shoes how important it is not to restrict airflow on these newer machines.

Jvd, regarding your two machines having different temperatures.....Do the fans seem to be running at the same speeds? I'm wondering if there are multiple levels to the fan speeds in the machine, such that when the temp gets above a certain threshold it kicks the fan speed up a notch. It seems like there are at least two levels in my machine currently, but that may be two separate fans that they are turning on and off.

kid_crisis said:
OK, Silouette, thanks for retaking the measurements. Interesting info, there. Also shoes how important it is not to restrict airflow on these newer machines.

Jvd, regarding your two machines having different temperatures.....Do the fans seem to be running at the same speeds? I'm wondering if there are multiple levels to the fan speeds in the machine, such that when the temp gets above a certain threshold it kicks the fan speed up a notch. It seems like there are at least two levels in my machine currently, but that may be two separate fans that they are turning on and off.

Well both make about the same lvl of noise haha and both ahve the same air flow out of the back with a hand test

Its just one is running cooler than the other . Perhaps mine is a later week one that had better yields ?

Back