X360 - Protect discs from scratching (MS take note!)

Nicked said:
Discs are also being scratched in some cases with no movement of the console, they aren't held properly in vertical position apparently.
I believe IGN mentioned in an article the other day that one of their copies of CoD2 was eaten by their 360 while it was horizontal. Supposedly the console was untouched/unmoved when it decided to do its woodchipper inpersonation. If that is truly the case, and its hard to believe IGN would just make this up, then it is absolutely unacceptable.

Even if people read the manual, wouldn't there still be problems if you trip over the wired controllers? You know, the ones that are shipped with the core version of the XBOX360? The ones that are cheaper than the wireless version and can be used on PC? Even with the breakeaway cable, the console will still jolt a bit which can lead to damaged discs.

Regardless of the stupidity of tilting one's console while operating (yes, it's stupid), bullet/idiot-proofing design is just part of good engineering. Period. If you don't build the thing to be safe against major stupidity and trauma, it means the thing is that much more likely to fail to to minor trauma, accidents, or manufacturing defects. For example, if your electronic device can survive being submerged in a pool, it can more than handle a little bit of spilled Coke, drool, or a few raindrops. If you can run over it with a truck a few dozen times, it can handle a backpack. If you can hit it across the room with a bat, it'll survive a fall out of an entertainment center.

You get the idea. I get the distinct impression that Microsoft simply never thought "How do we keep it from breaking when accidents happen?" Instead, they just slapped "Don't let accidents happen" in the manual, got it out in time for Christmas, and called it a day.

That is not true; MS has some type of slaughterhouse of 360s in California, where they beat them, burn them and do all sort of nasty stuff; well I guess without dvd in tray:p

Put the X360 vertical, insert game, play hours, get errors after a long while, eject disk => disk damaged.
Hurrah for MS !

Yes I experienced that myself, hopefully it's not my console but I find it pretty lame, the PS2 never did that...

Could it be as a result of the disk heating up that it starts to bend slightly which will make it touch the inside of the drive and thus take damage from it?

There was this interesting program on the discovery channel that showed how a very high rotational speed on a CD or DVDROM can cause it to completly shatter.

But they were using a very high speeds in excess of 10,000 RPMs which would be like a 50x drive.

Actually the more damaged the disk was, the less speed you needed to shatter it. And probably if the disc was warmed up a bit and the plastic got soft it would shatter even faster.

But anyway, my point is that high rotational speeds have interesting side effects caused by increased centripetal forces. And centripetal forces are proportional to the velocity^squared or f=m(v^2/r).

Probably the reason the ps2 did not have this problem is that the drive was only 4x while the 360's is 12x. And like I said before... f=m(v^2/r). So we are talking about 9x the force on a 360's disc compared to a ps2 disc.

Not to defend MS's design decisions or anything, but the physics of a 12x drive is just totally different.

Putting the console horizontal seems to have solved the problem, so speed itself might not be the only factor here...

Whatever the cause it need be solved quickly, or I can see MS being sued for this problem.

Back