Kojima MGS4 PS3 Devkit TGS show Fansubbed!

Metalgearih

Newcomer
I made this video after 2-3 weeks of quality checking and text to audio synching with the help of my friend One here at B3D. The sole reason of this joint project was to help Metalgear series fans to enjoy the most from Kojima and teams efforts. Sorry One, posted it before you. You deserve equal credit no doubt!

This video is the 9min PS3 development kit exhibition from Kojima-san and staff(Takabe-san and Shinkawa-san) at TGS 2005. Where they openly demonstrated and proved that the breathtaking MGS4 trailer was indeed realtime off the unfinished PS3 Dev Kit. In this fansub video you'll see the Kojima team enjoying the demo, pausing, zooming, rotating etc while playing with it. Enjoy.

http://files.filefront.com/MGS4_PS3_Devkit_Demo_Eng_subs/;4440530;;/fileinfo.html

Please be thankful instead of saying this is nothing new. Or don't bother sharing your post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice!

'Too much jargon for us, isn't it? You know it means it's AMAZING!' :smile:

Thank you for this post, good job on it btw, but i must say, the Japanese sure do talk fast. :???:

His hair is composed of 60,000 vertices primatives, all driven by physics. Wow, overkill for the demo.

I like how you guys translated "ohhhhhh.." LOL.

Nothing really new here, it was arleady well known that it wasn't prerendered. I wouldn't say it's amazing, because we have seen graphics this good from other games and engines. It will truly be amazing when we can actually play the game. Though I must admit I am definetely interested to see more about MGS4 because of that trailer.

Eleazar said:
Nothing really new here, it was arleady well known that it wasn't prerendered.

You'd be surprised on how many people still think it's CGI. Or at least want to believe it is.

It was amazing though to hear the techniques employed for this showcase. The DoF, HDR and Solid Snakes Hair being explained was very cool to see and actually understand what Kojima was saying. I love how they emphasis the different screen filtering that there using to give the game a cinematic affect.

I was also surprised at Snakes hair being made up of 60,000 vertices primitive and the hair being simulated by a physics simulation....

Thanks Metalgearih and thanks "One"

Good work Metalgearih and me! ;)

Eleazar said:
Nothing really new here
Actually there is one new thing at least, which is the confirmation that it's really Snake's hair that has 60,000 vertices. The previous 1up video from the same day of the presentaion was incomplete at the very point but this new video confirms which part they were talking about, which is a good starting point to discuss the horsepower of the PS3, along with Factor 5's Lair and other titles.

EDIT: the previous thread with pics and whatnot

And his mustache is the polygonal equivalent of an enemy soldier is MGS3.

One wonders if Kojima just loaded the trailer with such detail and if it'll be "intact" for game play.

Question

Metalgearih said:
I made this video after 2-3 weeks of quality checking and text to audio synching with the help of my friend One here at B3D. The sole reason of this joint project was to help Metalgear series fans to enjoy the most from Kojima and teams efforts. Sorry One, posted it before you. You deserve equal credit no doubt!

This video is the 9min PS3 development kit exhibition from Kojima-san and staff(Takabe-san and Shinkawa-san) at TGS 2005. Where they openly demonstrated and proved that the breathtaking MGS4 trailer was indeed realtime off the unfinished PS3 Dev Kit. In this fansub video you'll see the Kojima team enjoying the demo, pausing, zooming, rotating etc while playing with it. Enjoy.

http://files.filefront.com/MGS4_PS3_Devkit_Demo_Eng_subs/;4440530;;/fileinfo.html

Please be thankful instead of saying this is nothing new. Or don't bother sharing your post!

It is good video my friend. MGS4 is technical masterpiece for dev-kit development. I have one question and that is what is meant by fansnub video?

Thank you.

drpepper said:
And his mustache is the polygonal equivalent of an enemy soldier is MGS3.

One wonders if Kojima just loaded the trailer with such detail and if it'll be "intact" for game play.

Thats what i'm wondering. The hair being 60,000 vertices and it being controlled by a physics simulator is a bit extreme. He did say that it will get better from there as they work on it....so this is probably what we will see in game.

ihamoitc2005 said:
I have one question and that is what is meant by fansnub video?

Thank you.

I can answer that question ihamoitc2005 (if you don't mind). I'm an avid watcher of Japanase anime and view fansubs alot. Its basically fans of something (anime or this MGS4 Demo) taking it upon themselves to translate and add "subs" (which is subtitles) to the video.

Whoever said the impact of MGS4 was not as great as MGS2 wrt to its time... is sorely wrong in my view.

Its this kind of advancement which really makes one like me excited abt the next-gen.

Some will argue certain aspects have be done before.. true, but not all the elements (animation, lighting, etc) in one package like this.

BlueTsunami said:
Thats what i'm wondering. The hair being 60,000 vertices and it being controlled by a physics simulator is a bit extreme. He did say that it will get better from there as they work on it....so this is probably what we will see in game.

Is it extreme? Don't we want to see Snake's hair all messed up after a battle or shot at?

I want to know what they'll do for the env & other part of the game if they can spare 60K ver for the hair alone?

Jov said:
Some will argue certain aspects have be done before.. true, but not all the elements (animation, lighting, etc) in one package like this.

True, there is a reason that he asked back to direct this game. He definitely knows how to cut a scene very well.

Jov said:
Is it extreme? Don't we want to see Snake's hair all messed up after a battle or shot at?

I want to know what they'll do for the env & other part of the game if they can spare 60K ver for the hair alone?

Not extreme as in I don't want it, extreme as in "how much system resources are going into rendering Snakes hair".

I would love for that to be what we get in MGS4!

drpepper said:
True, there is a reason that he asked back to direct this game. He definitely knows how to cut a scene very well.

I am playing thru MGS3 at the moment and all this MGS4 stuff is just getting me all excited to learn more of everything from the plots and relationships between all the games.

He definitely know how to tell a story.. or 2.

Fansub

BlueTsunami said:

I can answer that question ihamoitc2005 (if you don't mind). I'm an avid watcher of Japanase anime and view fansubs alot. Its basically fans of something (anime or this MGS4 Demo) taking it upon themselves to translate and add "subs" (which is subtitles) to the video.

Thank you my friend.

BlueTsunami said:
Not extreme as in I don't want it, extreme as in "how much system resources are going into rendering Snakes hair".

I would love for that to be what we get in MGS4!

Was it officially stated there will be fully destructable environments? This makes it consistent with the PS3 Gundam game.

Jov said:
Was it officially stated there will be fully destructable environments? This makes it consistent with the PS3 Gundam game.

I think it was hinted to from the original MGS4 teaser from E3 (the one running on the MGS3 engine).

However I don't recall Hideo Kojima stating directly. Though he did say that he's striving for a more "natural" environment. So that could be taken as possible destructable environments. With the power the PS3 can pull off, i think the only thing holding developers back would be to actually design such an environment. Time seems to be the impedance.

Back