AthlonXP3000+ --> Athlon64 3500+ worth it?

_xxx_

Banned
Thinking about souping up my rig a bit, how much of a performance gain can I expect? Is it worth it? Gaming is the only area of interest.

2x512MB DDR400, GF6800GT, 2x160 GB WD IDE drives, the rest is uninteresting.

XP3000+ >>> A64 3500+ is like going to 35000+ :D

Very very worth it... going to any A64 from AXP is a great improvement..

Sxotty said:
How far can you overclock what you have?

I don't oc, never have and never will...

Druga Runda said:
XP3000+ >>> A64 3500+ is like going to 35000+ :D

Very very worth it... going to any A64 from AXP is a great improvement..

Ok, let me put it this way: how much faster would D3, Q4, HL2 run in %, approximatly? Are there any comparisons somewhere? I found none of use... :cry:

_xxx_ said:
Out of curiousity, why?

As for the comparison, what are the stock speeds of the 3000 vs 3500? I'm so used to OCing everything AMD that I have absolutely no clue what their stock speeds are. :oops:

(Well damn it, they ALL run over 2Ghz easy for me anymore! :???: )

digitalwanderer said:
Out of curiousity, why?

As for the comparison, what are the stock speeds of the 3000 vs 3500? I'm so used to OCing everything AMD that I have absolutely no clue what their stock speeds are. :oops:

(Well damn it, they ALL run over 2Ghz easy for me anymore! :???: )

Because I have appropriate heating in the house ;) , as well as simple lack of interest. Gaining some 5-10% speed in exchange for possibly dead HW just doesn't cut it for me. Let alone warranty issues.

They're both about 2.2 GHz AFAICR, but the 3000+ is the old 32-bit Socket A AthlonXP.

_xxx_ said:

Ok, let me put it this way: how much faster would D3, Q4, HL2 run in %, approximatly? Are there any comparisons somewhere? I found none of use... :cry:
here is an indication
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/athlon64-3000/index.x?pg=5

but it is really immesurable, I moved on a year ago (I think) to 3000+ which I still use, and the snappiness of the system, and the gaming is in " you cannot compare it" level... a generational leap, what can I tell you... when you go from XP 1600+ to XP 2500+ it is faster in FPS, and you can get higher max FPS for a game, but the system is similarly responsive...

However the move to A64 is a move to a much smoother day to day experience... sooo good that for my home use I cannot imagine X2 being much better... for example (as at home I don't usually do 10 normal apps at once, nor run anti-virus + decode DVD's wile I am gaming :D) ... In any case it will be much better than the increase in FPS only -- you can see there from 380 to 541 in QIII :D... this shows you the "relative" difference as the two stystems ...

Now HL2/DIII will be more gfx limited of course, but when CPU limitations occur the difference is measured quite well by that QIII FPS differential.. which is almost 50% - low latency rocks!

Cool, thx! :)

I'm still not sure if I should rather jump onto the X2 trip right away, but I think in single-threaded apps the perf. difference will be negligable. I have all my other stuff running on the Shuttle in the living room, so no need for X2 here either.

Now let's see if I can reach over 600 fps in Q3 :LOL:

_xxx_ said:
Cool, thx! :)

I'm still not sure if I should rather jump onto the X2 trip right away, but I think in single-threaded apps the perf. difference will be negligable. I have all my other stuff running on the Shuttle in the living room, so no need for X2 here either.

Now let's see if I can reach over 600 fps in Q3 :LOL:

actually I'd like to dig out from somewhere that Q3 cd and do the timedemo, I remember running it with V5500 PCI and GF2MX and thinking 40 fps - cool :D

just for the sake of it finishing in a few seconds...

If it's only for games, you might get more fps from the A64, but for the general responsiveness another GB of RAM might be better. Just for the games to avoid swapping and having to load many textures all the time. You can even turn off your swapfile for the best results.

Nope, my mobo is a bit fried so I'd like to buy something with visibly better performance without having to pay some huge amount of money AND be able to upgrade to a faster CPU next year.

EDIT: and this machine is for games only

actually a good tradeoff could be (don't know if you want it but just to mention it) go for a s745 sempron with 256 kb cache... @1.8 ghz and OC it to 2400-2500 or a bit more... as those CPU's can allegedly take it no problem... so you get a cheap platform ~ maybe around 100€ for everyhing and than you can upgrade proper next year as new socket replacing current ones for AMD is coming out fairly soon... should be here in 6 months at most.

this here is a 128 kb cache Sempron @1.6 ghz I think, which is quite impessive for a 40£ processor... the 256kb @1.8 stock one should do a fair bit better in cache intesinve games as DIII.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600_5.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I misread it and thought you said a64 3000+

I have mine at 2.2 ghz and thus it is ok. (Though I cannot use the bios cause the board sucks :( )

An xp should definitely be upgraded, I upgraded from an xp at 2.2ghz and this is significantly faster.

I went from an xp2800+ to an xp64 3200+ Venice...huge difference.

Tp specifically answer your later question about % improvement, I have read on average going from an xp to an xp64 using like models yeilds about 25% difference.

I would estimate your increase to be around 35-40%.

_xxx_ said:
Because I have appropriate heating in the house ;) , as well as simple lack of interest. Gaining some 5-10% speed in exchange for possibly dead HW just doesn't cut it for me. Let alone warranty issues.
QFT.

What does 10-20% do for you anyway? I'd rather lower the voltage and spin down the fan. For video cards, you need 60% to get an extra resolution, and even then only if you're not CPU limited. 15% is meaningless except for benchmark wars. I wouldn't upgrade my video card unless it's a factor of 3 or 4 at least.

Something ridiculous like an dual core Opteron going from 1.8Ghz to 2.8GHz is a different story, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input guys, I'll go for A64 3500+ or maybe faster and the potentially problematic ASRock dual mobo (AGP and PCI-E), but I think I'll wait till after christmass since the prices usually halve then...

I went from a mobile 2500+ running at 2.3Ghz to an Athlon 3800+ X2 runninng at 2.4Ghz and it was a noticable inprovement in performance (thanks to the over 100% increase in memory dandwidth created by dual channel)

Back