2005 Bricks & Bouquets

I don't know - 2005 saw the release of xenos, xenon ... the whole xbox360 kit and caboodle. dual core consumer cpu's and usb vibrating pussies. I won't buy one(xbox 360) for a while, if ever, but the foaming at the mouth and hardening of crotches for this hardware ranks as a notable event in itself.
The comments in this thread have been good - sometimes quite funny. I like navel gazing occasionally. I missed the SSassen affair amazingly given the time I spent on the site but have witnessed other soap opera drama's in action.

Innovation of the year: I would propose ATI's attempt to implement a hardware physics engine on their vid cards (would Xfire be mandatory?), but that may best be left for 2006

Reverend said:
The best thing that happened this year, for me, is that 2005 saw the most responsive John Carmack out of all the years I've been corresponding with him (I think I provided you guys the majority of our correspondences, although there are quite a few that I can't).

That would go under 4) I think, most improving trend.

My choice for the no-go of 2005: DNF will still be in the top 5 of Wired's "Vapourware of the year" award.

The up was definitely NV's execution with GTX/GT. That's how it should always work, though I think this was a forced step to slap the competition and won't continue in this manner (see GTX512).

Technical innovations - nothing really happened in the PC-gfx space besides NV's Transparent AA and ATI's HDR-AA, but these are both just dirty hacks IMHO.

My points for the HW innovation go to AMD for the Athlon64 X2, a very nice peace of work.

_xxx_ said:
My points for the HW innovation go to AMD for the Athlon64 X2, a very nice peace of work.

Ah, see I was being provincial within the purview of the site. . .tho I still think there were no other competitive candidates for the Inaugural Sander Sassen Professional Suicide Award in the larger HW community. :LOL:

Have no objection to pointing at the larger pic too tho.

dizietsma said:
That would go under 4) I think, most improving trend.
Well, I sincerely hope it is a trend (if it is even one) that isn't specific to me. I hope he writes/replies to a lot of folks.

elroy said:
:eek: 34 PSU's!!! Nice job Rys!!!!

BTW Rys, I find the Hexus site EXTREMELY difficult to navigate. I spent 10-20 minutes trying to find this article myself without any luck. Easily the most difficult to navigate computer site I've ever been to.

QFT. Lots of great content there, but if it isn't on the front page anymore you are in for a world of hurt finding it.

The Baron said:
It's like I told you yesterday, Rys--start punching people!

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?p=650786#post650786 :D

Edit: Iain, helpful back-end guy at Hexus, says they know they have some work on the back-end to do. Also, two helpful points in the interim. 1). Typing slooowly in the search box helps the predictative search change as you go along and you might spot your article as it does. 2). A google trick I did not know; site:www.hexus.net and then your keyword will only search Hexus. If Iain is peeking at this thread, thanks Iain. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back