How 1337 are you at Geometry Wars? Post yer SCORE!

Guden Oden

Legend
My current highs are:

Evolved - 237,700
Retro - 73,185

Not too shabby for an old geezer from the early 70s or what do ya think? ;)

Guden Oden said:
My current highs are:

Evolved - 237,700
Retro - 73,185

Not too shabby for an old geezer from the early 70s or what do ya think? ;)
A few minutes ago I just hit 589,000 on evolved. My hands hurt from gripping the controller so hard. :D

.Sis

Sis said:
A few minutes ago I just hit 589,000 on evolved. My hands hurt from gripping the controller so hard. :D

.Sis

Honestly Geometry wars and Hexic are the 360 killer apps... anyway. How the F@#$! did you get 589K? Eventually those red unshootable pac man things come and get me.... the screen is so filled with geometry and explosions I lose track of my ship...

blakjedi said:
Honestly Geometry wars and Hexic are the 360 killer apps... anyway. How the F@#$! did you get 589K? Eventually those red unshootable pac man things come and get me.... the screen is so filled with geometry and explosions I lose track of my ship...
I almost broke a controller last night because of those stupid guys! You need to juke them, so once they're on the screen you'll want to make sure you get to a spot, or clear a spot, with enough room to move. Sometime charging straight at them and then moving around will be enough. The hardest guys really are the purple squares that break into two. They're fast and their offspring are hard to see.

Also, as the screen becomes insane, I shoot where I move until an area is clear, then I shoot behind me. And be aggressive with bombs--I know I'll have a good game when I know a few seconds in advance that I'll need to bomb, based on sound or some other indication, such as too many gravity wells triggered (I kill those quickly if I can--more than 1 or 2 on a screen is deadly).

Last night before I hit 589,000, I scored 80,000, 130,000, and a couple other low scores before I started doing much better. There's a bit of rhythm to the game--plus a bit of luck at getting the right spawns.

Also, finding the right music is key. :D

.Sis

Sis said:
Also, as the screen becomes insane, I shoot where I move until an area is clear, then I shoot behind me. And be aggressive with bombs--I know I'll have a good game when I know a few seconds in advance that I'll need to bomb, based on sound or some other indication, such as too many gravity wells triggered (I kill those quickly if I can--more than 1 or 2 on a screen is deadly).

.Sis

Absolutely right especially about the gravity wells... but they can be used effectively. They buy you some time since they swallow whatever is coming at ya so you can see it. There are harder obstacles such as being surrounded by snakes... or when the corners simultaneously generate hundreds of shapes... or the green squares that run from your fire but run straight at your non firing side.... half the time I cant see where i am and thats on a projected screen... im gonna work on my GW today cause there is a zone you can get into where you *sense* everything coming at you... The pac man things cant be killed right?

blakjedi said:
Absolutely right especially about the gravity wells... but they can be used effectively. They buy you some time since they swallow whatever is coming at ya so you can see it. There are harder obstacles such as being surrounded by snakes... or when the corners simultaneously generate hundreds of shapes... or the green squares that run from your fire but run straight at your non firing side.... half the time I cant see where i am and thats on a projected screen... im gonna work on my GW today cause there is a zone you can get into where you *sense* everything coming at you... The pac man things cant be killed right?
The pacman guys can't be shot from the front, where their shield is, so you move around them and shoot them from the side or the back. The snakes are definitely nasty, but in those cases I just slow down and reduce my movements. For the green squares, just shoot in a circle, then in one direction. That should allow you to circle around them and bunch them up. They are really annoying though.

I spend way too much time on this game :D

.Sis

395,700 today. YAY!

Still only 360 game worth owning IMO.

It's HARD to try and apply any kind of strategy when playing this game due to the sheer amount of STUFF it throws at ya. The best tip I read on the net that actually works - barring accidents of course - is to shoot in the direction you want (need) to go, and then go there and shoot behind you. Or to the sides, depending on the situation. Of course, when things get too chaotic something will just plain appear on top of your ship and you die, or so it seems anyway because you were focusing elsewhere on the screen. :p

Not keeping any accurate statistics, I'd say I mostly die to the little pink swirling squares, then to the green dodging squares, then the cockhead snakes. The red charging bull pacman thingys do get me too, but it seems I mostly die colliding with something ELSE when they appear as I try to dodge and shoot them. And in those cases it's mostly a swirling pink square, MEH! :D Oh, and if the tiny blue jacks start spawning it's an almost certainty I'll get killed too, usually by one of them.

The "fat" gun is only really good dealing with black holes (which are red) and the jacks I've found. The rapid fire gun is quick, but it doesn't really dent the swarms of jacks much, while the "fat" gun seems to cut through them much better, as long as I can travel pretty much in the same direction as I'm shooting. If I have to turn, I'm usually screwd. That, or have to smartbomb.

Circle-spawns of green squares are actually easier to deal with than snake spawns or - gahh! - pink square spawns. I hate the pink circle-spawns, because pink squares accelerate and travel FAST when they can go in pretty much a straight line, and that is typically crashing straight into me. :???: Also, as I try to shoot my way out of the pink swarm, the big squares will splinter into small ones and typically at least one small square will swirl around my stream of shots and crash straight into my ship from the side...

Other than these, my pet peeve is when the game spawns wave upon wave of black holes in all four corners of the screen together with a mix of pink and green squares (amongst others) AND one or even a couple charging pacmen. It's either I blow a smartbomb or I die, like 95-99% of the time. And then the game spawns the same pattern of enemies again. MEH.

What I'd like to see is a "soft-core" version where enemies take longer to spawn in, say one sec vs. a half, and where the action isn't QUITE as thick.

Oh, and a speedier ramp-up until it starts to get fun, which really doesn't happen until like 60-80,000 pts.

And I'd like more weapons too. Weapon pickups even, like one small peashooter gun that always shoots forwards in the direction the ship travels, or always shoots backwards. Circling shield-pods could be nice too, etc... Lots of stuff that can be done with this game! :D

i thought that was really good till i saw one of the achievments was surviving over 1 million (ie getting to 1 million without even getting killed)

lol... i love this game and yet i hate it so

I hate this game too, I just got 465,400 points earlier this evening. :D

Biggest contributing factor to my improved performance? Turning OFF the music...

Back