Treated myself to a BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC

PeterAce

Regular
I have just started a new job (just got my first months pay so I've treated myself to a early Christmas present).

I realise the price-to-performance ratio is terrible, but I wan't F.E.A.R to be smooth ;)

BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC :

Core : 580 Mhz
Memory : 1750Mhz

Can't wait to bench!

Reactions: Geo
DSCF0136.JPG

DSCF0137.JPG

DSCF0139.JPG

DSCF0141.JPG

I felt a little sad taking out my X800XT as it searved me very well.

Grats! :)
And I wouldn't say the price/performance is THAT bad. It's always better than some older "ultra/premium" parts, like the GeForce2 Ultra or the X800XT-PE. At least there is a real, tangible performance boost here!

Uttar

Oh yeah, anyone have a link to CoolBits reg file (I want to check the clockrate). Or is it Coolbits2 now?

And what the name of the program that checks G70's clock domains?

What was written on the back of that t-shirt?

I paid the 800 squids and the equivalent of 500 gallons of virgins blood for a 20% boost on a game and all I got is this BFG t-shirt.

PS: I'm just jealous. I'm still stuck here with a R9800 OC.

Nice! I am applying the little meditation I know how to stop me from buying a new card. So tempting!

PeterAce said:
Oh yeah, anyone have a link to CoolBits reg file (I want to check the clockrate). Or is it Coolbits2 now?
Copy this into a text file, rename it to a .reg, and "run it" to merge it with your registry. This is modified to only turn on overclocking (clock rates) and the AGP status tabs. It's pretty obvious what needs to be removed to have the AGp status page go away. I am sure you can figure it out ;)
Code:
REGEDIT4

; =======================
; Coolbits 2
; >> Installation File
; =======================

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff

And what the name of the program that checks G70's clock domains?
Rivatuner

volt said:
Sorry for going off, but is that ECS PCI-e+AGP mainboard?

Looks like it.. you know this is the work of a heretic.. putting a card like that in a motherboard like that... or something.

PeterAce said:
I have just started a new job (just got my first months pay so I've treated myself to a early Christmas present).

I realise the price-to-performance ratio is terrible, but I wan't F.E.A.R to be smooth ;)

BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC :

Core : 580 Mhz
Memory : 1750Mhz

Can't wait to bench!

Be sure to try out the 16x AA modes via rivatuner!

Nite_Hawk

Nice.

But not as elegant, and probably louder and more power-hungry. Oh, and he doesn't have a second PCIe slot. :D Probably higher resale value with this, too.

I dunno, the cooler on the GTX 512 just looks cool. It's kind of what the FX 5800U should've been. In fact, the GTX 512 is exactly what the 5800U should've been compared to the 5800. Remind me again why nV didn't call it Ultra? :p

How's the stability of that MB? Are there significant performance issues with the two slots, or are we talking negligible in light of the easier upgrade path?

Added to the fact SLI still doesn't work (will it ever?) while keeping two displays on, and while I have SLI in my system right now and run dual heads, I hate it that, even though I don't need a reboot now, it turns off my second head when I game.

So if I had the money, I'd maybe get a 512 too if I could afford it.

Pete said:
But not as elegant, and probably louder and more power-hungry. Oh, and he doesn't have a second PCIe slot. :D Probably higher resale value with this, too.

I dunno, the cooler on the GTX 512 just looks cool. It's kind of what the FX 5800U should've been. In fact, the GTX 512 is exactly what the 5800U should've been compared to the 5800. Remind me again why nV didn't call it Ultra? :p

How's the stability of that MB? Are there significant performance issues with the two slots, or are we talking negligible in light of the easier upgrade path?

Elegant... ? Who cares about that... Yeah the GT's would be louder, and probably more power hungery. With the $150 (or $210 counting rebates) he could buy a very nice SLI board. All the while being a lot faster. SLI does still have some issues though. For one, I cant seem to get F.E.A.R. to work right with it at all, and its annoying.

I do like the 512MB cooler, aside from two small things. It looks like it puts air out from both sides of the card, the back and the front. I wish it went all out the back. Also, the fan placement isnt the best, its not going to get the best air flow being in the middle of the card, so close to the second if someone goes SLI with these. I like how the XT cooler is taking air from the front of the case, thru the card, and out the back. I hope all high end cards adopt this method, as its simply the best out there.

Not crapping on your thread.. just putting out an opinion. ;)

Pete said:

Stability is exellent. I've run a X800 XT AGP on this and my bro runs a 6800 GT AGP on one, so far not a single crash.

The Asrock 939 Dual-SATAII uses run AGP over HyperTransport so there is no performance reductions than a regular native AGP board.

Both Anandtech and TomsHardware (spit.. spit) have tested this motherboard in AGP and PCI-E modes and have found performance to be fast and stability fine.

As I've always wondered this of PCGamers..

Is F.E.A.R. that good of a game that you would spend $600 USD to make it run better?

zurich said:

Is F.E.A.R. that good of a game that you would spend $600 USD to make it run better?

Nope, but do we buy are equipment for just one game? Hell no. We buy it for all of our game collection, we buy it for that next big game coming out, etc. Someone is down right crazy if they buy some thing like this for just one game.

Yeah, it's probably more of an impetus rather than the sole reason. It's a nudging reminder to upgrade for the (near) future.

zurich said:

No ... But if one has a Dell 2405FP then one would likely spend $600 to make their entire gaming experience better. At least that's why I spent $500 for my soon-to-be new card. Plus it'll be nice to get my second LCD hooked up via DVI instead of analog VGA.

BRiT said:
No ... But if one has a Dell 2405FP then one would likely spend $600 to make their entire gaming experience better. At least that's why I spent $500 for my soon-to-be new card. Plus it'll be nice to get my second LCD hooked up via DVI instead of analog VGA.

Oh, I hear you on that. My second LCD doesn't look too awful for general use on the VGA on my 6800GT AGP. . . but when I run the test pattern on it I shudder at the results. Can't be doing my eyes much good.

Back