Simple way to rip DVDs into DivX (Avi)?

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I had posted this few months back and based on the reply I downloaded and tried to use Gordian Knot but it was too complicated for me. Is there any simple software which does the conversion with acceptable quality and filesize?

Ok, I downloaded and installed AutoGK. Please forgive my ignorance, even after reading the tutorial I can't figure out which file to take as input? I have ripped my DVD to HD using DVD Decrypter. And how can I get a single avi file? And how to get subtitles? Can it be disabled while watching the avi?

somewhat ontopic..
I'm trying to convert some divx/xvids to svcd using the latest tmpg version and I'm gettin no audio:(
The first one virtual dub said the vbr audio stream was messed up (played fine?) so what was ok so I outputted the wave from it (it fixes it) and tmpg said it didn't suppport it when I used it at a audio source:devilish:
But the second file was perfect according to virtual dub but no audio either and it thinks it's 62 minutes long (its a south park ep.. 20~ minutes long).
wtf?

radeonic2 said:
somewhat ontopic..
I'm trying to convert some divx/xvids to svcd using the latest tmpg version and I'm gettin no audio:(
The first one virtual dub said the vbr audio stream was messed up (played fine?) so what was ok so I outputted the wave from it (it fixes it) and tmpg said it didn't suppport it when I used it at a audio source:devilish:
But the second file was perfect according to virtual dub but no audio either and it thinks it's 62 minutes long (its a south park ep.. 20~ minutes long).
wtf?

Sounds like you have some badly editied files. Try Avi2DVD.

I coverted "The Day After Tomorrow" DVD into avi using AutoGK, I used default settings. The output avi was 1.38GB (compared to 7.28GB for original DVD). BUT, there is a problem, there is no sound...all other files are playing with sound. I used AC3 6ch for audio. Help.

Edit1: The conversion took 3hrs, 11 mins and 54 secs.

Edit2:
2.12 I can't hear audio when playing final AVI. Why?
- if its AC3/DTS sound track then you need latest AC3Filter or ffdshow to decode it. AutoGK installer doesn't have those filters.

I am downloading both, should I install both? And while doing future conversions should I opt for AC3 6ch audio?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepak said:
I coverted "The Day After Tomorrow" DVD into avi using AutoGK, I used default settings. The output avi was 1.38GB (compared to 7.28GB for original DVD). BUT, there is a problem, there is no sound...all other files are playing with sound. I used AC3 6ch for audio. Help.

Edit1: The conversion took 3hrs, 11 mins and 54 secs.

Edit2:

I am downloading both, should I install both? And while doing future conversions should I opt for AC3 6ch audio?
Nope just get ffdshow (google it and get the alpha version.. it's stable dont worry),
FFdshow is jawsome.
I like how you have it decode mp3s and stuff so with zoom player or MPC (or any player that uses filters) so I can upmix them to 5.1.

Ok, Installed ffdshow and now I can hear the sound BUT still problem, the sound is kinda way too 3D, I can't hear the spoken dialogues properly, they are low volume but I can backgound/extra sound properly. Did I make mistake by opting for AC3 6ch? Should I have opted for AC3 2ch or may be mp3? What is the difference between wide and letbox subtitles?

How many speakers are you using to listen to it? Personally I like AC3Filter for decoding as it will allow lots of different downmixing options as well as SPDIF passthrough.

Zaphod said:
How many speakers are you using to listen to it? Personally I like AC3Filter for decoding as it will allow lots of different downmixing options as well as SPDIF passthrough.
...As does ffdshow :p
They're like the same thing as far as options go, except I found ac3filter to be er.. buggy.
Like sound would get messed up and stuff.

Deepak said:
Headphone. Haven't tried it with my 2.1 speaker setup.
What do you have ffdshow set to?
Set it to two speakers.
either change it by opening the program from your start menu or open a divx and it should have taken over audio and video decoding.

when using autogk, be sure to select CBR audio. VBR (of which ABR is a subtype) audio in AVI is a hack and only works because of a few quirks in AVI file handling, and may or may not work in future Windows. If you want to use VBR audio, use a different container format such as OGM or MKV.

radeonic2 said:
They're like the same thing as far as options go, except I found ac3filter to be er.. buggy. Like sound would get messed up and stuff.
Yeah. You're right, of course. Force of habit, I guess, and I haven't had any problems with AC3filter myself. Had some issues with ffdshow (couldn’t get it to coexist peacefully with AC3ACM I think) way back, though, but available documentation is much better now, and the UI is less daunting. Never bothered to find out if it was user or program error since other options worked without hassle at the time.

That sound problem is solved using AC3Filter but now I have my headphones and WMP, both at max sound and I hear everything at acceptable volume. Can I boost sound from AC3Filter? How?

Back