Am I alone in thinking Christmas is a load of bollocks?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Much like morality and caring about people.
Not at all. It's just I abhor the notion that, because some Emporer in the 12th century decided to change the date pretty much on a whim, the whole Western world grinds to a halt at that time of year. That it's now an overly commercial experience adds to the mess.

I'm happy to celebrate the birth of what I believe to be one of the greatest people that walked the Earth (and note I'm not Christian by any stretch of the imagination), but let's do it on the right day at least.

I'm being serious though.
Morality and caring really have gone out the window in all societies.

The media have puhsed this idea into my head because whenever I watch the news, there's nothing positive occuring and so my brain immediately tranlsates this into a message that says that "This is the entire world".

K.I.L.E.R said:
I'm being serious though.
Morality and caring really have gone out the window in all societies.

The media have puhsed this idea into my head because whenever I watch the news, there's nothing positive occuring and so my brain immediately tranlsates this into a message that says that "This is the entire world".
Ah, I get you now :smile: And I agree.

Shogun said:
Very much the main point of contention. If you wish to behave in whatever manner, be it festive, charitable, whatever, why is an external excuse required.
Well, it's not up to me. It's up to everyone. If most people seem to become more cheery during festive holidays I am all for it. Me being cheery all the time or whenver I lilke doesn't solve this problem. So, I am all for these excuses for everyone else to stop being complete assholes :smile:.

It seems to be a fact of life. We need excuses. This is probably because we are intrinsically social creatures who all want to be the same. All we need is a drummer to give us the beat and we willingly join in, jumping up and down to it (and hopefully not marching into Poland...:p). It would be a pity not to have these excuses, especially when some of them are established and can be counted on.

Rys said:
It's the biggest load of made-up nonsense inflicted on modern society.
But it's good fun made up nonsense! Have another beer and a shot of vodka and I think you'll agree :smile:.

Most movies are nonsense, but they can be fun. Think of Christmas as an interactive movie that is complete nonsense. People will even forgive you for dreassing up like a gnbome and claiming to come from the North Pole.

Oh, and I forgot about the mistletoe, but that is not for you and me! :oops: In fact, never stand underneath it when I am near. :p

EDIT and PS: If Christmas has become a "sales/shopping experience" you are doing it all wrong and I am not talking about going prone on the rug, praising the lord either. Besides, doesn't all this shopping happen before Christmas? That's the dirty work we need to get out of the way so we can get to the business of having a special time together. It's kind of like how you don't have to be a big fan of a certain band to enjoy one of their concerts. A party is a party is a party is a party...and this one's got lots of flashing lights and stuff....and the booze is...*hick* really good ...*passes out*...... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
people also don't seem to realize what blowing a grand or 2 on xmas year after year, does to their economic competitiveness against those who don't (investments, etc). and most of the money spent is on frivolous useless crap. i can' remember the last gift i received i actually liked, or needed, or would have bought myself even.

I quite like christmas, i'm not religious at all but for some reason i like it, it may have something to do with the lights and the decorations though. I also happen to be in a jovial mood most of the year which could explain it, or maybe it's because i dumb ( if i was girl i would be a bimbo ).

I like to get presents and give them too, but i don't bother with the wrapping them up part. though most years i never get could presents anyway.

I'm an atheist yet I still allow myself to have time during Christmas time.

As an excuse for seeing the family, for good food, for gift exchanges, for holiday from work. ;) No spiritual connection whatsoever, but it's still fun to decorate the Christmas tree.

*shrug*

cloudscapes said:
I'm an atheist yet I still allow myself to have time during Christmas time.

As an excuse for seeing the family, for good food, for gift exchanges, for holiday from work. ;) No spiritual connection whatsoever, but it's still fun to decorate the Christmas tree.

*shrug*

Absolutely, that's always been my philosophy too. :)

Yes Christmas is a load of bollocks, but it's generally a pleasant & happy load of bollocks so I'm cool with it.

Seriously. Any excuse for people to be nice to each other and celebrate is generally a GOOD THINGâ„¢ in my book. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Yes Christmas is a load of bollocks, but it's generally a pleasant & happy load of bollocks so I'm cool with it.

Seriously. Any excuse for people to be nice to each other and celebrate is generally a GOOD THINGâ„¢ in my book. :)
The thing that bugs me about that is that we shouldn't need excuses. Although since the world stops, why not, eh? I'll certainly enjoy the days off, hypocritically, with my folks.

meh. i more or less look at it like vicious people pretending they're good, when they should try harder at being good and knowing what knowing is. for instance, people in support of all the murdering over in iraq for various excuses. people who think the economy (debt ridden) is in a good state. and what's with the slaughter of all those trees? and turkeys? good? depends on how you look at it.

Rys said:
The thing that bugs me about that is that we shouldn't need excuses.
Well personally I don't, but I'm kind of weird that way. ;)

I agree with you that we shouldn't, but some do and it's just nice to have one.

Besides, my wife gets time off work and extra pay for it....win/win! :D

Christians are not the ones who have turned this Holiday into a Capitalistic shadow of its former self.

There is a big difference between Christians who are Born Again believers, and those who wear the religious mantle like a union association. The first is reality and relationship, the second is empty religiosity.

No, The true meaning of Christmas is that it is better to Give than to Receive. That "For god so loved the World that He gave His only Begotten Son. That Whosoever should believe in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." In this is the core message of the entire Bible. A message of hope and a future in Glory. Christmas was the celebration of the day that the savior was born. It was started by man. God never asked for it. We are to remember his Death and Resurrection.

There is nothing wrong with remembering the birth of the savior. In it we find the beginning of Hope. Even though man and in many cases those who wear the mantle of religion have warped and twisted Christmas into something else.

If you buy presents and sit down with your family or friends for a meal on Christmas day. stop, even just for a moment and consider the greatest gift that was ever given. The Gift of Eternal Life. Its totally free. All you have to do is open the present form God To You by Believing in Jesus the Savior.

boltneck said:
Christians are not the ones who have turned this Holiday into a Capitalistic shadow of its former self.

There is a big difference between Christians who are Born Again believers, and those who wear the religious mantle like a union association. The first is reality and relationship, the second is empty religiosity.

No, The true meaning of Christmas is that it is better to Give than to Receive. That "For god so loved the World that He gave His only Begotten Son. That Whosoever should believe in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." In this is the core message of the entire Bible. A message of hope and a future in Glory. Christmas was the celebration of the day that the savior was born. It was started by man. God never asked for it. We are to remember his Death and Resurrection.

There is nothing wrong with remembering the birth of the savior. In it we find the beginning of Hope. Even though man and in many cases those who wear the mantle of religion have warped and twisted Christmas into something else.

If you buy presents and sit down with your family or friends for a meal on Christmas day. stop, even just for a moment and consider the greatest gift that was ever given. The Gift of Eternal Life. Its totally free. All you have to do is open the present form God To You by Believing in Jesus the Savior.
Uhm, then why is it in December if it's "celebrating Jesus"? Why did the christians feel the need to usurp the Winter Solstice celebration?

boltneck said:
There is a big difference between Christians who are Born Again believers, and those who wear the religious mantle like a union association.
I agree. Even though I deeply disagree with the 1st group in many aspects (I am a rather staunch atheist, after all) I do try to respect them to the extent that they genuinely believe and commit themselves to live according to their teachings. The people in the second group however, who merely label themselves "Christian" in order to give the impression that they are good people, I contempt.

then there's the whole passive aggressive crapola about how people who don't 'celebrate' xmas are evil or mean...grinch, scrooge, etc.

pretty ironic coming from abusive liars. who claim lying to be evil.

Back