Blu-ray expects to reveal launch details CES 2006

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051130/tc_nm/media_bluray_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Blu-ray DVD group said on Tuesday it still planned to roll out a high-definition disc format in spring 2006, though members of the consortium led by Sony Corp. (6758.T) said they would unveil specific launch plans at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January.

"We're sticking with the spring time frame," said Andy Parsons, a spokesman for Blu-ray, at a demonstration of the new high-capacity DVD format.

Deepak said:
"We're sticking with the spring time frame," said Andy Parsons, a spokesman for Blu-ray, at a demonstration of the new high-capacity DVD format.

Hmm...

...was Sony right all along?...

...must continue homework.

...nothing Blu-Ray related...

It is Cell-related though... Documentation translation.

----

I'm just thinking Sony may actually be crazy enough to launch the PS3 in Spring along with Blu-Ray. I don't know, I don't know... CES is going to be something to watch. If not for PS3, it will be for Blu-Ray.

typoEDR said:
...nothing Blu-Ray related...

It is Cell-related though... Documentation translation.

----

I'm just thinking Sony may actually be crazy enough to launch the PS3 in Spring along with Blu-Ray. I don't know, I don't know... CES is going to be something to watch. If not for PS3, it will be for Blu-Ray.

Well as soon as you translate that information tell us about it here. But in another thread of course.

Blu Ray is dead. Because of the holographic storage from Hitachi..

Maybe :LOL:

http://news.google.com/news?sourcei...http://www.idm.net.au/story.asp?id=6852&hl=en

Why no hype for this? Because it's not Sony?

"Earlier this month, Turner Entertainment's vice president of broadcast technology, Ron Tarasoff, said his company is planning to sell holographic disks that will retail for $100 and which, in five years, will have a capacity of 1.6 terabytes each.

"That's pretty inexpensive," Tarasoff said. "Even the first versions can store 300GB per disk, and it has 160mbps data throughput rates. That's burning. Then combine it with random access, and it's the best of all worlds."

Wow..

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see holographic storage having use in fields that require that amount of mass storage (audio/video/etc.), but Blu-Ray (or even HD-DVD) is sufficient for films and video games.

You can always use more storage.

Blu Ray> HDDVD because of storage.

Holograph>Blu Ray because of storage.

Eventually.

Bill said:

Eventually.

Well holo also has a huge transfer rate advantage. I'd hate to have to burn a 50gig br at 2x or less.

Bill said:

Eventually.

Blu Ray is all about movies. So, as long as HD = 720p, 1080i and 1080p, then Holograph offers nothing new for movies.

Holograph will probably win for storage with computers but Blu Ray has the market for movies.

Well, it just offers more.

How about a whole season of Conan O Brien in high def (something I have always thought would be neat).

I can see a next gen disc format managing another generation though, before Holograph costs come down. Then again maybe not. Each format we squeeze in will be a massive pain in the ass.

It's good to know there's something in the future though, that's impressive on all fronts.

typoEDR said:
I can see holographic storage having use in fields that require that amount of mass storage (audio/video/etc.), but Blu-Ray (or even HD-DVD) is sufficient for films and video games.

the speeds for data transfer are crazy

Thats why i don't see the point of bluray or hd-dvd

jvd said:
the speeds for data transfer are crazy

Thats why i don't see the point of bluray or hd-dvd

In a few years, I'd agree with you. Hell, I agree with you now. It's just that I can't see holographic drives being on par or cheaper than Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

EDIT:

nPhase is currently marketing the product to enterprises that can afford the high cost of the discs and readers. Currently, the reader costs a lofty $15,000 each, while one single disc costs $120—clearly unaffordable for the consumer market, Liz Murphy, vice president of marketing at InPhase, said Monday.

Granted, the technology will eventually become cheaper and will be able to enter into the consumer market, but I think 2007 is a tad early. Great for backups, though.

typoEDR said:
In a few years, I'd agree with you. Hell, I agree with you now. It's just that I can't see holographic drives being on par or cheaper than Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

So what if we'd have to wait to 2008 for holographic discs to be ready.

It be worth it .

Figure first prototypes are hitting 350gigs with a 160mbps burn rate ? That is insane. Bluray wont be up to that for a very long time in storage capacity . and even then it be what 6 layers on the bluray disc ? Which don't even know if bluray would be able to write past the second layer yet ( i haven't heard any info)

So even if we had to wait 2 years over bluray i think it would have been worth it

Back