Sony PlayStation 2 global shipments top 100 million units

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTOA said:
You're degrading this thread into your agenda against Sony not actually selling 100 Million usable units. So I think I have a right to call you out on what you're doing.

No you're degrading this thread. In fact your first post in this thread had no useful meaning whatsoever. The fact you have a red square under your name kinda explains everything quite nicely.:LOL:

BTW they didn't sell 100 million units. They shipped 100 million units and a large portion of those are as replacements/upgrades. You can accept them facts or you can continue to live in denial.

PC-Engine said:
a large portion of those are as replacements/upgrades.

Where is your proof of this?

Why does it always come down to you vs. the world? Don't you get tired of bickering mindlessly with scores of people? Look at this recent one. Now you're arguing with 3-4 people you've never had an issue with till now.

Ty said:
Where is your proof of this?

Common knowledge and common sense. A lot of people already have PS2s by now. If they continue to sell a lot of units 5 years later then it points to replacement/upgrades very simple and not exactly rocket science.

Why does it always come down to you vs. the world?

Why do you care?

PC-Engine said:
Common knowledge and common sense.

So no proof then?

PC-Engine said:
A lot of people already have PS2s by now. If they continue to sell a lot of units 5 years later then it points to replacement/upgrades very simple and not exactly rocket science.

No, not necessarily. Till WoW came out for example, NO ONE thought the MMORPG market had anywhere near the potential subscribers that WoW managed to achieve.

PC-Engine said:
Why do you care?

Because I care about your mental health.

PC-Engine said:
Common knowledge and common sense. A lot of people already have PS2s by now. If they continue to sell a lot of units 5 years later then it points to replacement/upgrades very simple and not exactly rocket science.

:oops: . I think there is a misconception that console market is saturated.

So no proof then?

Read below...

No, not necessarily. Till WoW came out for example, NO ONE thought the MMORPG market had anywhere near the potential subscribers that WoW managed to achieve.

People in the industry already have an idea where the saturation point for consoles are reached.

Because I care about your mental health.

In that case, the answer is ignorance which unfortunately there is more of in the world...:LOL:

I think there is a misconception that console market is saturated.

I didn't say ALL new PS2 purchases were replacements/upgrades did I? PS2 installed base is approaching a saturation point. There's no doubt about it. Of course for countries that cannot afford them or have access to them there is still a market there when the prices comes down, but that goes without saying...

PC-Engine said:
People in the industry already have an idea where the saturation point for consoles are reached.

Can you point out these people and where they think this point is?

Also, as I mentioned before, no one (including industry analysts) thought the MMORPG market was potentially as big as it is now. The same could be true for the console market. The Playstation brand has truly become a household name and thus, has found acceptance into consumer spaces one wouldn't normally expect. Heck, one of these days I might buy one.

PC-Engine said:
I didn't say ALL new PS2 purchases were replacements/upgrades did I? PS2 installed base is approaching a saturation point. There's no doubt about it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the PS2 is NOT approaching a saturation point. This occurs from the very first sale of a PS2. The issue is, where is that point? Perhaps it's been reached already (i.e. PS2s aren't making it into new homes) or perhaps not. But if that is your belief, all we're asking for is some proof. Even some industry analyst's thoughts would be a good discussion launching point.

Perhaps once it drops down to $99, it will again make another jump into new homes?

Perhaps once it drops down to $99, it will again make another jump into new homes?

Or instead old homes that want a 2nd or 3rd PS2 or replacement/upgrade? PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games.

Here let me throw you a bone...how many PS1s have been sold to date? Do you believe the PS1 market is saturated?

BTW the MMORPG analysisi is flawed, because internet connections are becoming faster and more common so again common sense says online gaming will continue to grow which it is. Lots of industry people are saying the console industry is not growing therefore the saturation point doesn't grow either.

PC-Engine said:
Here let me throw you a bone...how many PS1s have been sold to date?
102.5M
The majority at $99 IIRC. The PS2 market has probably peaked, but that would have more to do with the onset of next-generation consoles than with the PS2 having reached mass saturation point. A $99 pricepoint is more than assured to bring in new households and new owners. It is very naive to presume that the majority of PS2 purchasers from this point will be repeat buyers.

And if you are trying to use the 102.5M figure for the PSOne to indicate that the PS2 sales will wane, you shouldn't. The PSOne should've waned at 60M by that logic. This generation will see at least a 50M increase in total console sales, more if the PS2 sales curve like they did with PSOne.

The message "bunch of little brats" crossed my mind, I would appreciate not having to use it as closing message of topics ever.

So... BEHAVE !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back