Sony PlayStation 2 global shipments top 100 million units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmkay said:
Oh and you're counting life to date hardware against year to date software there. That's not helping anything here.

PS2 hardware sales for 2004 would have to be around 6 million units to reach your claim of 1:17 tie ratio. ;)

You telling me SONY only sold a couple of million PS2s from 2000-2003?:LOL:

The PS2 is not the context for that quote about return rate. The context is left generalized and not framed as a comparison to any specific product.

From his comment, the PS2 would've had to have a much, much higher rate of return if its build quality was even good enough to be typical by their standards.

Those are mind-blowing numbers. I wonder if Nintendo or Sega could have even touched those numbers if Sony didn't come along. It looks like they stopped producing PSOnes sometime around June or so, and it ended up at about 102 million. To think that the Sony console has not even hit the 129 price point yet. PS2s selling after the PS3 launch will probably surpass the entire install base of Xbox by the time its retired.

I myself account for 3 of those 100 million PS2 sales .. soon to be 4. 1st PS2 I gave to my brother after I bought one for my girlfriend. 3rd PS2 I bought last year as a Christmas gift to cousins. Planning to buy a 4th for another set of cousins. Never had problems with any of them. Only problem I ever had was on a PSOne way back .. but GF used the helpless dame angle to swap unit rather than send it back for repair. If price drops to 99.00 I will buy one and leave it at our cabin up in Tahoe .. that way I don't have to drag mine back and forth.

I think going forward (after PS3 launch) game devs can cash in on the 100 million PS2 userbase by gear toward more "family" oriented games that are not necesarily heavy on the graphics and technical aspects, but more on "entertainment" .. sorta the Nintendo mindset. I'm thinking along the lines of the Guitar Hero type games, and more Eyetoy oriented games. I've played some recently that are actually quite fun. If dev houses can make money using less dev resources by tapping the 100 million PS2 userbase, that would offset this big gloom and doom forecast of cost development for next gen.

PC-Engine said:
Sure but if we used YTD hardware instead the tie ratio would be even lower. PS2 hardware sales for 2004 would have to be around 6 million units to reach your claim of 1:16 tie ratio. ;)

Really? Because on 98m software sales, dividing by a lower number (a lower hardware number - year instead of lifetime) would result in a higher ratio would it not?

I'm curious now, do these winks indicate the number of factual inacurracies in your posts? As I think that last one needed two winks. It was your claim of 50% failure rates which led to the 16:1 tie-in. I'm of the belief it's around 10:1

Oh you've changed the post again...

"You telling me SONY only sold a couple of million PS2s from 2000-2003?"

No, but they sure as hell sold a substantially larger amount of software than hardware over that period. I guess the laugh counts as two inaccuracies in this scenario.

Why r u even debating with PC-Engine. He's got some kinda vendatta against Sony, and he would cough blood if he ever said anything positive about PS2. I don't know if he even plays xbox or gc at all, since he never talks about those consoles. I didn't even bother reading his posts cuz its fairly predictable what he's going to spew.

Reactions: Ty
Mmmkay said:
Really? Because on 98m software sales, dividing by a lower number (a lower hardware number - year instead of lifetime) would result in a higher ratio would it not?

I'm curious now, do these winks indicate the number of factual inacurracies in your posts? As I think that last one needed two winks. It was your claim of 50% failure rates which led to the 16:1 tie-in. I'm of the belief it's around 10:1

Oh you've changed the post again...

"You telling me SONY only sold a couple of million PS2s from 2000-2003?"

No, but they sure as hell sold a substantially larger amount of software than hardware over that period. I guess the laugh counts as two inaccuracies in this scenario.

Read my revised post. ;)

You still haven't proven that 100 million PS2 are actual working units and your NA numbers don't jive. Keep massaging those numbers. :LOL:

Lazy8s said:
The PS2 is not the context for that quote about return rate. The context is left generalized and not framed as a comparison to any specific product.

From his comment, the PS2 would've had to have a much, much higher rate of return if its build quality was even good enough to be typical by their standards.

...At a games summit, from a SCEE exec, about why they delay their hardware products.

"In a keynote address which focused heavily on the challenges facing Sony in Europe in the current generation, rather than on the firm's plans for the PlayStation 3, Reeves discussed both the late introduction of consoles and the regular shortages of hardware in the territory."

I'll take my chances.

eDoshin said:
Why r u even debating with PC-Engine. He's got some kinda vendatta against Sony, and he would cough blood if he ever said anything positive about PS2. I don't know if he even plays xbox or gc at all, since he never talks about those consoles. I didn't even bother reading his posts cuz its fairly predictable what he's going to spew.

It's entertaining watching people squirm so much. I'm actually shocked, being my first PC-Engine date, that it's more actual errors than misinformation.

Oh and PC-Engine, that's not my job. You're the one making the accusation. I provided the 17:1 tie in ratio as evidence for your claim. i.e. If 50m were defective, the tie ratio would be 17:1.

Oh and PC-Engine, that's not my job. You're the one making the accusation. I provided the 17:1 tie in ratio as evidence for your claim. i.e. If 50m were defective, the tie ratio would be 17:1.

First of all my original throw away statement was:

Probably half of those PS2s are secondary replacements

If I had actually intended to make a calculated estimate I would've said 40% of those were PS2 replacements.

Second you still haven't provided proof that shipped hardware and shipped software are in fact directly proportional. ;)

BTW 100 million are shipped numbers so actual sold numbers would be less and 40% of sold numbers are even less than 50% of shipped numbers.;)

These are the kind of threads usu more associated with Gamespot's System Wars. Its all BS .. the growth of the gaming industry, while all in favor of Sony, is good for everybody. To dump on its progress is just retarded ******ism.

eDoshin said:
These are the kind of threads usu more associated with Gamespot's System Wars. Its all BS .. the growth of the gaming industry, while all in favor of Sony, is good for everybody. To dump on its progress is just retarded ******ism.

Look man I already said in my orginal post in this thread that the numbers ARE indeed impressive. My problem is with the claim that there are very few PS2 replacements/upgrades in those 100 million shipped units.

PC-Engine said:
Look man I already said in my orginal post in this thread that the numbers ARE indeed impressive. My problem is with the claim that there are very few PS2 replacements/upgrades in those 100 million shipped units.
What matters is the end result and the end result is that Sony will sell 100 million units, be it replacement or not. Sony will have sold that many units.

BTW, quit it with the stealth trolling.

PC-Engine said:
First of all my orignal throw away statement was:

If I had actually intended to make a calculated estimate I would've said 40% of those were PS2 replacements.

Second you still haven't provided proof that shipped hardware and shipped software are in fact directly proportional. ;)

I proved that if anything I gave an underestimate, or conservative outlook which had a 5% error rate on 800m sales. It is not necessary that I prove any proportionality.

I'm glad you've finally realised that I was originally pointing out how throw away your throw away statement was. At least we've come that far. So now we're at 14.2:1 eh? At least you're heading in the right direction.

BTOA said:
What matters is the end result and the end result is that Sony will sell 100 million units, be it replacement or not. Sony will have sold that many units.

BTW, quit it with the stealth trolling.

By the time 100 million units are actually sold, there will likely be more defective units to be replaced along with it. I'm still sticking to 40% of total units are replacements/upgrades/trade-ins etc.

PC-Engine said:
Look man I already said in my orginal post in this thread that the numbers ARE indeed impressive. My problem is with the claim that there are very few PS2 replacements/upgrades in those 100 million units.
No one touched on the issue before you did. You can't make a statement (even a guess) then launch a tirade when someone posts a tie ratio based around that statement. Mmmkay already backed up his tie ratio figures (which you blindly ignore).

Its simple, if they've "shipped" 100M units, and 50% are defective, you have 50M working units. 800M software units had been shipped by June05, so a conservative estimate of 850M to date.
850M / 50M = a tie ratio of 17.

So assuming all 100M are working, either way the PS2 tie ratio is at least 1:8.5, as Mmmkay said. Any replaced units are just going to drive that up.

What exactly is your point? No one has debated that some of the units are defective. You've made that claim, no one has disagreed, yet you still aren't happy. Do you really have to continually post to perpetuate your angst against Sony? Are you afraid if you don't reply people might find these numbers impressive?

Reactions: Ty
I don't think anybody expects 100 million units still in operation in 100 million households. Everything has the potential to break down including your refrigerator, television, and car. Consoles have a lot of moving parts .. and is oftentimes heavily abused. People move it around, put it on the carpet, get all kind of crud on the discs, and play with the console hours on end and then expect it to last 10 years. Then there are simply bad units coming off the assembly line. Most people I know have never cleaned the lenses of their console, or even clean up the dust built up around the unit, much less open up their console to clean it. With 100 million units out there any percentage of breakdowns will relect in much greater numbers than an equal percentage in a 20 million base. The actual number of working models is irrelevant, because if the console is such crap, then it will lose marketshare all on its own. All that matters is that the gaming industry is reaching stupendous heights. That bodes well for developers who may have to make greater investments, but has a solid base to sell their goods to. Obviously gamers benefit in the end. It sure as hell beats seeing a downward spiral in growth. If Sony only sells half as much next gen, and MS doubles their userbase, and Nintendo remains the same, it would actually result in shrinkage in the industry .. that would put a lot of developers in jeopardy. Take the good news in stride .. even if u hate Sony.

PC-Engine said:
By the time 100 million units are actually sold, there will likely be more defective units to be replaced along with it. I'm still sticking to 40% of total units are replacements/upgrades/trade-ins etc.
Will you quit it with the defects. If you want to bitch, go bitch at home appliances like washers/dryers/stoves/fridges since those cost more than a gaming console.

In the end, Sony will still have sold 90-100Million+ by years end. So just stop it with your arguement.

BTOA said:
Will you quit it with the defects. If you want to bitch, go bitch at home appliances like washers/dryers/stoves/fridges since those cost more than a gaming console.

In the end, Sony will still have sold 90-100Million+ by years end. So just stop it with your arguement.

Nobody is forcing you to reply to my posts...

PC-Engine said:
Nobody is forcing you to reply to my posts...
You're degrading this thread into your agenda against Sony not actually selling 100 Million usable units. So I think I have a right to call you out on what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back