"Best hardware/tech site in 2005?" @ VE3D

I hate polls like these. Actually, I hate most polls and I hate them because they are always so imprecise in what they are asking. It's pretty clear that there are at least two main variables at work here: quantity and quality of hardware reviews. Nevermind that there are ulterior factors like the quality of the presentation.

Beyond 3D is very focused on 3D hardware ("whaaaat?!!!" :p) and ArsTechnica is another site that prefers to go in-depth on technology rather than make lots of presentations for each incremental product that is put on market. So, these sites have a difficult time competing on quantity. I am not saying quantity doesn't matter, it does in many things PC, but there are obviously those of us who prefer to read more into the details of the technologies we have come to worship and to get this "meat" we cannot rely on the same sites that tend to churn out new articles as soon as there is a new x16 DVD-R/W drive from Samsung (nevermind the one next month with that fantastic 20x speed one ;)).

Well, there...at least I got to say I hate polls. I'm done babbling now :smile:

wireframe said:
I hate polls like these. Actually, I hate most polls and I hate them because they are always so imprecise in what they are asking. It's pretty clear that there are at least two main variables at work here: quantity and quality of hardware reviews. Nevermind that there are ulterior factors like the quality of the presentation.

Beyond 3D is very focused on 3D hardware ("whaaaat?!!!" :p) and ArsTechnica is another site that prefers to go in-depth on technology rather than make lots of presentations for each incremental product that is put on market. So, these sites have a difficult time competing on quantity. I am not saying quantity doesn't matter, it does in many things PC, but there are obviously those of us who prefer to read more into the details of the technologies we have come to worship and to get this "meat" we cannot rely on the same sites that tend to churn out new articles as soon as there is a new x16 DVD-R/W drive from Samsung (nevermind the one next month with that fantastic 20x speed one ;)).

Well, there...at least I got to say I hate polls. I'm done babbling now :smile:
QFT
B3D= videocard investigations and doesnt do shootouts.. or any comparisons not from the same IHV so naturally they're not gonna stack up in a popularity contest, but thats why we love them:smile:

Hanners said:
People still read Tom's Hardware?
Of course. Why wouldn't they? People read Tom's, Anand's, FiringSquad, HardOCP, and everything they can get thier hands on. People even read CNET!

People just like to moan about them ;)

Which reminds me of The Inquirer: a site that everyone seems to read and then comment negatively on.

wireframe said:
Of course. Why wouldn't they? People read Tom's, Anand's, FiringSquad, HardOCP, and everything they can get thier hands on. People even read CNET!

People just like to moan about them ;)

I dunno, I visit Tom's Hardware several times a day just to keep a check on things, but I rarely actually sit down and read their articles - It always seems to be too little too late, either things I have little interest in reading or something I've already read a good article about elsewhere.

I can understand people visiting there, I just can't understand it being a particular favourite of the masses.

Reverend said:
The name of the poll is important.

It didn't say best "video card/tech" site.
Absolutely right - which makes me wonder as to how we're up there with the likes of THG; either people are believing very generous or, and more likely so, they're misunderstanding the title of the poll!

I like Anand best. And here as well, but this is more technical less general

Their reviews are getting more wonky though, but still far better than Hardocp's wonky system. Hardocp puts up graphs of two identical minute squiggly lines going everywhere and expects it to be useful. Besides the whole dumb "best playable settings" format.

I have noticed some sloppy or just weirdly incomplete reviews at Anand lately. But still the nice, simple graphs and readibility are second to none. Plus I just like Anand. He fits that young Indian immigrant super smart nice guy whatever stereotype. So yeah, overall in general terms, Anand.

Firing Sqaud is a great site for a more gaming niche

Hardocp is not a bad site, but the review system is just so broke I dont bother with reading their reviews. The rest of the site is good.

Toms I dont read since it's not natively english. It does have the best in depth graphs of legacy cards and CPU's though. Meaning the benchmarks of dozens of .
cards going way back in one graph in their database. Dont get that elsewhere. Like if you want to compare a geforce 2 to a 7800 GTX..or a Pentium 2 to a Athlon 64

Arstechnica is another good specific site.

I also enjoy Xbit labs a lot, though they're foreign. They do really detailed reviews, the most different games etc. They just need more budget I get the feeling, they use some dated games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neeyik said:
Absolutely right - which makes me wonder as to how we're up there with the likes of THG; either people are believing very generous or, and more likely so, they're misunderstanding the title of the poll!
Well, er, I was referring to Rys' work for Hexus but, yeah, B3D is pretty good too.

:devilish:

Reverend said:
Well, er, I was referring to Rys' work for Hexus but, yeah, B3D is pretty good too.

:devilish:
Oh, how I wish to believe you're sincere! :LOL:

For video forum beyond 3D is the best by far. I wish I had a better understanding of the tech talk . As things can get pretty technical at Beyond 3D . I love it but I get lost very often.

For just good Reviews I believe I like XBit ther best. AT is ok for laughs in there forums.

The quality and legitamacy of AT's reviews is very questionable. Have you seen there apples to apples comparing Intel Vs. AMD the Amd product will be tested at 2-2-2-5 timings DDR1 and Intel get 533 @ 4-4-4-12 timings . The last couple of reviews with Corsair DDR2 5400UL were done @ 667 3-2-2-8 timings . So I thought. Hay AT's reviewrers
finely figured out how to bench a intel M/B.
We all read the Yonah review. What Was the memory timing?. What was the speed ?. I can't wait for more honest reviews . I believe we will see yonahs performance go up a bit.

Back