How vulnerable is your OS? XP users click to find out!

suryad

Veteran
http://www.computerterrorism.com/research/ie/poc.htm

Use IE and FF to try it. Here is a link to the Proof of Concept [computerterrorism.com] page, which will launch an instance of calc.exe if you're vulnerable. I found out I am vulnerable...shocking....

A lot of people disagree with my assessment of MS's security issues.....but this proves my point once and for all. There are lots and lots of holes and known holes at that in the OS. Shouldnt MS be takng a better stance on security? Lets hope Vista is not prey to this attack!! On that note if anyone has Vista it would be great if you could give it a whirl. X64 users also please attempt and post your results.

Btw I am not running a firewall. Just XP nLited and SP2 and all patches loaded. How about yall?

Didn't do anything untoward in Opera. It managed to crash FireFox, but didn't launch anything. I won't try it in I.E. as I suspect it will probably do something there ( I'm downloading and don't want to jeapordise it!)

It's a javascript memory-buffer overflow exploit. I'm guessing Firefox crashes because it too has a problem with it.

That particular link starts the windows calculator, but in principle could start any program like:
Code:
format /f c:

Or something similarly nasty.

Cheers

Well in my case it was kind of weird. When I clicked the link, a couple of things happened: AVG started screaming about an infected file on the Internet Temporary Files, then an Internet Explorer SCRIPT 'window' opened up, afterwards, the calc opened :D, and then all the windows of Internet Explorer (including the one where I was previously writing this) closed.

This is bad :(. I wished AVG would have stopped the process on top of detecting it.

Deer Park Alpha 2 froze, IE32&IE64 poped up a weird script thing asking Ok/Cancel, tried both, neither did anything else.

NOD32 alerted that there is exploit there.... i used Firefox 1.0.7.

no way i am going near there with IE.... fucking M$

OMG MY OS LETS ME LOG IN HOW INSACURE!!#%!@

How does a flaw in IE's JavaScript interpreter equate to in insecure OS again? You have the ability to disable scripting. Just like you have the ability not to run with an open SSH port and a blank administrative password. Doing anything on the internet assumes some risk, and if you're opening links to untrusted URLs with your browser in an insecure mode of operation, you can't expect everything to always be 100% safe.

Haha, that was weird. It froze FF 1.5, but the funny thing is..... Adblock is now working in. It wasnt at all before under 1.5, but now it works. Weird. No calc.exe ran on my computer though, and nothing at all happened besides FF freezing actually.

EDIT: Just tried it in IE. Sure enough calc.exe started running. It didnt freeze or crash IE though. Either way, this should scare anyone still using IE out of doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehehe.

Having a virus scanner that scans internet traffic before it even gets to the application has it's advantages :)

proof :p

MatiasZ said:
Well in my case it was kind of weird. When I clicked the link, a couple of things happened: AVG started screaming about an infected file on the Internet Temporary Files, then an Internet Explorer SCRIPT 'window' opened up, afterwards, the calc opened :D, and then all the windows of Internet Explorer (including the one where I was previously writing this) closed.

This is bad :(. I wished AVG would have stopped the process on top of detecting it.
Exactlly the same happened to me (XP, IE and AVG)

Shouldn't this kind of attacks be blocked by NX/XD bits in latest x86 processors? Can anyone with a NX/XD enabled computer with XP SP2 verify it?
By the way, I don't know whether Windows XP SP2 protects code pages (they should be set to read only after program loaded), but I think it's probably a good idea to do so.

pcchen said:
By the way, I don't know whether Windows XP SP2 protects code pages (they should be set to read only after program loaded), but I think it's probably a good idea to do so.
Any Windows version from Windows95 and onwards will default to making all the code pages read-only; you need to use the win32 VirtualProtect() function if you want to make the code pages writable (you should also use it to tell Windows when you intend to execute code from your data pages, but only processors with NX/XD-bit will actually enforce this restriction).

Skrying said:
Haha, that was weird. It froze FF 1.5, but the funny thing is..... Adblock is now working in. It wasnt at all before under 1.5, but now it works. Weird. No calc.exe ran on my computer though, and nothing at all happened besides FF freezing actually.

EDIT: Just tried it in IE. Sure enough calc.exe started running. It didnt freeze or crash IE though. Either way, this should scare anyone still using IE out of doing so.

I just sent it to a friend who uses IE and he didn't care :rolleyes:

As for ff, on PCBSD (KDE desktop) using the Mamba WYSIWYG editor and deleteing a large chunk of text crashes it. It's the only application that has crashed on PCBSD after using it for 2 months... honestly. These days I use fugly Konqueror as much as I can. ff's reliability seems to be pretty poor in my experience, incedentally the Java script just DOS's ff in PCBSD, rendering it very slow, but doesn't completely crash it.

I'd recommend anyone on windows to use Opera.

Crusher said:
How does a flaw in IE's JavaScript interpreter equate to in insecure OS again?
Because IE is tightly integrated into the OS and comes pre-installed on virtually every Windows system by default with scripting enabled. Of course a flaw where a web-based scripting language, that should be run inside a sandbox, is allowed to arbitrarily execute programs should be regarded as a fundamental hole in security. To say otherwise is ridiculous.
You have the ability to disable scripting.
How many people know how to disabled javscript in IE? I bet you 99.99999% of ordinary users don't because Microsoft make it so damn difficult. This is compounded by the fact that so many websites rely on javascript for their functionality. Microsoft, in their wisdom, not only make it a chore to disable it (having to go through numerous advanced menus) but they also offer no interface for selectively blocking JavaScript on a per domain basis.

Just like you have the ability not to run with an open SSH port and a blank administrative password.
This is not at all analogous. SSH doesn't come pre-installed with Windows. If you want to run an SSH server/client you have to actively go out and install it.

Doing anything on the internet assumes some risk, and if you're opening links to untrusted URLs with your browser in an insecure mode of operation, you can't expect everything to always be 100% safe.
But the point is that allowing JavaScript to run should not in any way be considered unsafe. ECMAscript, if implemented correctly, is perfectly safe. The problem lies entirely with Microsoft's implementation of it and the fact that they bundle IE (and it's components) with every Windows OS. Blaming the user is just silly.

Um, well right, my post didn't went thru, I'm not going to type it again. Basically it did nothing to my system - Antivir blocked it and Maxthon survived just fine, while IE crashed (the 2 popups did, the actual window stayed).

Diplo etc - I mostly agree with Crusher - you know, I guess MS could pick a default security scheme for XP/Vista etc where users wouldn't be able to execute virtually anything, because it could be potentially harmful, but then I see all of them complaining how gay and bad MS is for blocking everything by default.
IMHO, in the end, it's always about securing the system, not demanding that some does that for you....

Rambler said:
IMHO, in the end, it's always about securing the system, not demanding that some does that for you....

Well, I'm a technical user, I have an up to date antivirus software, a properly set up router blocking all incoming traffic, Windows Firewall enabled with no exceptions more than needed, Microsoft Antispyware running and periodically checked and all the existing updates to any of the aformentioned software up to date and patched as it should. I think this should be more than enough to consider the system 'secure', at least to the point where opening a Javascript shouldn't be able to run arbitratry code on my machine... Specially when this is a DOCUMENTED flaw to Microsoft's code.

BTW, there are way more harmfull viruses and codes than those that can format your hard drive, so that's not even the worst that could happen. Actually the 'virus' concept refers to a totally different thing than 'deleting stuff'.

Diplo said:
Because IE is tightly integrated into the OS and comes pre-installed on virtually every Windows system by default with scripting enabled.

So does Windows Media player, but if there's a bug or security hole in that, it's still rediculous to blame the operating system for the application's fault.

Diplo said:
Of course a flaw where a web-based scripting language, that should be run inside a sandbox, is allowed to arbitrarily execute programs should be regarded as a fundamental hole in security. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

JScript is hardly restricted to web browser use, and you can freely use it on your computer along with the Windows Scripting Host to run any kind of arbitrary code you wish. But in this particular case there is a security hole which can be exploited through the IE browser, nobody was saying otherwise.

Diplo said:
How many people know how to disabled javscript in IE? I bet you 99.99999% of ordinary users don't because Microsoft make it so damn difficult.

It's under the custom level security settings in the internet options, I'm not sure how much more straightfoward it can be. Considering it's a security setting, and disabling it is a custom option (not default), and it's an internet option, it seems to me like a perfectly logical place to put it. Perhaps you would rather have a big shiny candy apple red button on the toolbar?

Diplo said:
This is compounded by the fact that so many websites rely on javascript for their functionality. Microsoft, in their wisdom, not only make it a chore to disable it (having to go through numerous advanced menus) but they also offer no interface for selectively blocking JavaScript on a per domain basis.

Good websites do not require it for functionality, and offer safe (if somewhat less convenient) alternatives. If you are browsing a site that requires javascript support, you should be leery of it to begin with. IE also lets you pick and choose which sites you trust to run scripts and other security-related features on, so you can safely enable scripting on those sites you trust. MS has given you plenty of ways to deal with potential security problems, just because you're too lazy to use them doesn't mean you can pretend they don't exist or are unfeasible.

Diplo said:
This is not at all analogous. SSH doesn't come pre-installed with Windows. If you want to run an SSH server/client you have to actively go out and install it.

And if you want to run IE and browse websites with security exploits you have to actively launch the program and navigate to those sites. I don't think there's a huge difference in effort here on the part of the user, nor is there any less blame you can attribute to them. Using IE is a choice, not a mandatory sentence.

Diplo said:
But the point is that allowing JavaScript to run should not in any way be considered unsafe. ECMAscript, if implemented correctly, is perfectly safe. The problem lies entirely with Microsoft's implementation of it and the fact that they bundle IE (and it's components) with every Windows OS. Blaming the user is just silly.

First, the ECMAScript specification does not in any way prevent buffer overrun exploits in an implementation. Second, IE and Windows do not (natively) support ECMAScript, they support JScript, which is not ECMAScript compliant. If you want ECMAScript, install a compliant implementation of it, such as the one that Firefox uses. Third, Microsoft bundles a lot of things with their OS, that doesn't mean you have to use them, nor does it mean that it's the OS's fault if there's a security hole in one of the applications that is bundled with it.

I stopped using IE regularly a long time ago, and I never have any issues with the security holes in it, yet I still use Windows. If this was an OS issue, would I not be experiencing some of the effects of all these IE exploits? The topic of this thread is false and has nothing to do with the content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crusher said:
So does Windows Media player, but if there's a bug or security hole in that, it's still rediculous to blame the operating system for the application's fault.
Media player isn't integrated into the OS, where as Internet Explorer is. When you browse files via 'My Computer' you are using an IE shell to do so, when you hit F1 for help the chances are you are using an IE shell to do so etc. etc. If Microsoft can argue in court that they should be allowed to bundle IE with Windows because it's an essential part of the OS then surely they should also take responsibility for it, too?

JScript is hardly restricted to web browser use, and you can freely use it on your computer along with the Windows Scripting Host to run any kind of arbitrary code you wish.
JScript run via the WSH has different permissions than when run within a browser in the same way that a Java Applet has restricted permissions compared to a full Java app. What it can do outside of the sandbox is irrelevent to this discussion, the problem is what happens within IE.

It's under the custom level security settings in the internet options, I'm not sure how much more straightfoward it can be. Considering it's a security setting, and disabling it is a custom option (not default), and it's an internet option, it seems to me like a perfectly logical place to put it. Perhaps you would rather have a big shiny candy apple red button on the toolbar?
Don't try and patronise me. My point is most users do not have a clue where it is - I know this from experience given as I work as a web developer and have yet to meet a single client who knows where to start looking if you ask them to disable JavaScript.

Let's look at the actual steps needed in IE to disable scripting:
Go to the Tools menu then select Internet Options
Then select the Security tab
Then click Custom Level
Then scroll down past tons of options until you find something called 'active scripting' (no mention of JavaScript, which is what most people would be looking for) and then check a radio button.
You call that intuitive UI design? I can do the same thing in Opera by pressing F12 and ticking a box (hell, in Opera I can make a big red shiny button to do it, too, if I want).

Good websites do not require it for functionality, and offer safe (if somewhat less convenient) alternatives.
That may well be true but the actual reality is that majority of dynamic websites actually require JavaScript for some or all of their functionality. Sticking your head in the sand won't make it not true. Having to manually go through the steps listed above for every website you visit, on a case by case basis, is a ridiculous thing to expect a user to do simply because there are security wholes in your product!

And if you want to run IE and browse websites with security exploits you have to actively launch the program and navigate to those sites. I don't think there's a huge difference in effort here on the part of the user, nor is there any less blame you can attribute to them. Using IE is a choice, not a mandatory sentence.
Again you ignore reality where 90+% of people who use Windows will use IE because it's there already. A large percentage don't even know that there are other products available. You can blame consumer ignorance if you like but this is a situation actively sort after by Microsoft when they decided to use "brute force" to "win" the browser wars. They therefore have a duty to protect people who use the product they pushed so effectively.

First, the ECMAScript specification does not in any way prevent buffer overrun exploits in an implementation.
I'm sure the implementation doesn't encourage it, either. If a buffer overflow prevents a core feature from working then the particular implementation of the language is, by default, broken.
Second, IE and Windows do not (natively) support ECMAScript, they support JScript, which is not ECMAScript compliant.
FireFox doesn't support ECMAscipt, either. It implements a proprietry version of JavaScript that is, more-or-less, ECMA compliant.
I stopped using IE regularly a long time ago, and I never have any issues with the security holes in it, yet I still use Windows. If this was an OS issue, would I not be experiencing some of the effects of all these IE exploits?
Whether you get 'hit' by a security issue is dependent on your usage of the OS. There may be an exploit if you use, for example, print services. However, if you never use a printer then you won't get hit by it. That doesn't mean the exploit isn't there.

Explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are different programs, but they share a great deal of code between them so I won't challenge you on that one.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You think IE = Windows and whatever is wrong with one is inherintly a flaw with the other, I think IE is an application and Windows is an OS, and no matter how closely related they are a flaw in one does not imply a flaw in the other. To be completely precise, I think it's unfair for someone to criticise the Windows development team for a mistake by someone on the IE development team. If he had titled this thread "How vulnerable is your browser? IE users click to find out!", I would have had no problem with it.

Back