Cheap Sony HDTV + PS3...

High Lander

Newcomer
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...o32"&ProductSKU=KV30HS420&TabName=specs&var2=

Only $799
30" , 1 HDMI, Wide, and awesome 1920x1080 pixels (resolution on screen, not simply an input than accepts 1080i signal).

SWEET !

I think I´ll get one of these in 6 months (probably when I´ll get my PS3) ... by then, a 1080p TV set should be at the same price !
And it´s a Sony TV !

Never thought i´d say "cheap" and "Sony" in the same subject :LOL:

CRT are getting cheap... it seems my plasma is going to wait a lot.

High Lander said:
As I said, I´ll not save, I´ll WAIT a bit and get a 1080P CRT for the same $... within 6 months.

Good luck with that ;)

Personally I'd rather have a native 720p LCD display. Those CRTs weigh hundreds of pounds and are HUGE.

Ugh. Power draw 280W in operation... That'll be an easy half a kilowatt with a PS3 alongside it. :p

Btw, CRT = teh suck. If you're going to get a new HDTV, get an LCD model. Plasma also has monstrous power draw, and they wear out relatively fast. Though they do have pretty unbeatable contrast, and I don't think there's any display lag either... And color clarity can be totally UBER, depending on the plasma, so really, it's not an easy choice. Well, provided one isn't particulary environmentally conscious, heh.

Interlaced isn't necessarly a bad thing, if I were shopping for a display that size for gaming I'd take that CRT over any LCD I have seen. Granted, it should be noted that the "and awesome 1920x1080 pixels (resolution on screen..." isn;t realy the case as there the dot pitch and interlacing come into play so it comes out quite a bit less in acutal resolution and geting it to accept various resolutions you might want will likely be hard to impossible. So as a monitor you'd likely be better off with a LCD or a plasma, but for gaming and movies and such a HD CRT will do great and the price is hard to beat. Shop around a bit too, other companies make some respectable CRTs in that price range as well and I am pretty sure I have seen Sony like the one you linked on sale for $650'ish.

Hardknock said:
Good luck with that ;)

Personally I'd rather have a native 720p LCD display. Those CRTs weigh hundreds of pounds and are HUGE.

Hundreds of Pounds ? So what ? Bad look for the rack ! I´ll not place it over my lap anyway ;)

Yes, Huge ! I want a HUGE TV. If it´s also deep, no problem, since it will be probably in a deep rack too. I still can´t see any advantage in a thin TV... that woths the extra cash.

Anyway, in six months I´ll still look for a Plasma. In case Plasmas are still expensive, I´ll shoot at a CRT. LCDs have a long way to go yet to compete with Plasma and CRT.

Where are thos new thin CRT from IBM ??? read about it 6 months ago. Like 5 inches deep only (for a 40" screen), and at the same price of regular CRT. Can´t wait for TVs with this IBM CRT.

CRT=Best Picture Quality

Guden Oden said:
Ugh. Power draw 280W in operation... That'll be an easy half a kilowatt with a PS3 alongside it. :p

Btw, CRT = teh suck. If you're going to get a new HDTV, get an LCD model. Plasma also has monstrous power draw, and they wear out relatively fast. Though they do have pretty unbeatable contrast, and I don't think there's any display lag either... And color clarity can be totally UBER, depending on the plasma, so really, it's not an easy choice. Well, provided one isn't particulary environmentally conscious, heh.

I have seen many Plasma and LCD TV's my friend but I find that even $250 Toshiba or Sony has smoother and cleaner picture than expensive Plasma and LCD. For HDTV picture quality of CRT is also best but resulting truely large size is is why small 32" LCD was my choice for TV.

I'm kinda undecided on a front projector, to put me in the "HD Era".
Like the big picture, and the fact you can get one for less than €2000 and an image quality that rivals big screen plasmas and lcd's.
The biggest doubts for me are the lamp life and the fact that all of the viewing must be in quite a dark room to see anything.... not good if the PS3 will have a cool new Eye Toy :(

If I'm to use it for my gaming too, I can see the lamp wearing down pretty soon, €400 for a replacement lamp once a year could get a bit expensive pretty soon, but then again a €5000+ plasma or LCD... for €3000 I'll get lamps for those years after I'll need to replace it for a shiny new 1080p SED display.
So the no. 1 minus for front projector is the sensitivity for ambient light.
After my 50" rptv I just won't be satisfied with a smaller, once you've got taste for big... well just ask l-b :D

wait for SED. It's suppose to be comparable to CRT's quality but thin size. But it probably be expensive.

High Lander said:
Hundreds of Pounds ? So what ? Bad look for the rack ! I´ll not place it over my lap anyway ;)

Yes, Huge ! I want a HUGE TV. If it´s also deep, no problem, since it will be probably in a deep rack too. I still can´t see any advantage in a thin TV... that woths the extra cash.

Anyway, in six months I´ll still look for a Plasma. In case Plasmas are still expensive, I´ll shoot at a CRT. LCDs have a long way to go yet to compete with Plasma and CRT.

Where are thos new thin CRT from IBM ??? read about it 6 months ago. Like 5 inches deep only (for a 40" screen), and at the same price of regular CRT. Can´t wait for TVs with this IBM CRT.

Samsung has a new 32 inch LCD TV arriving in 2006 that uses LED's as a back light source. This is supposed to result in increased color purity, lower power consumption, and decreased overall cost.

To achieve the "sequential" display, Samsung Electronics' LCD R&D team used a novel RGB-emitting LED backlight. By combining the RGB light emissions from the backlight in precise sequences, the new LCD panel provides color saturation that is 110% of the NTSC standard, while the aperture ratio is an exceptionally high 78% for television with brightness at 500nit.

Moreover, the new display panel consumes only 82 watts, just 60% of the power needed by a conventional 500nit CCFL backlight. In addition, its response time is 5ms or faster, making it ideally suited for multimedia and video applications where accurate color reproduction is required.

Mass production of 32-inch panels without color filters is scheduled to begin in the second half of 2006.

Specifications
Resolution: 1366X768
Color Saturation: 110% (NTSC)
Contrast: 1000:1
Response Time: 5ms
Power Consumption: 82W
Brightness: 500nits
Aperture Ratio: 78%

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/167649.html

Vegtro said:
wait for SED. It's suppose to be comparable to CRT's quality but thin size. But it probably be expensive.
Yea, that's why there is little sense in waiting if you need a new HD display in a year or two. I don't think SED will be sub €10000 until 2010 earliest.
A front projector is therefore sensible imo as they are inexpensive compared to monitors of bigger size.

rabidrabbit said:
Yea, that's why there is little sense in waiting if you need a new HD display in a year or two. I don't think SED will be sub €10000 until 2010 earliest.
A front projector is therefore sensible imo as they are inexpensive compared to monitors of bigger size.

U joking?! SED will be affordable much sooner than that. And in the meantime, HDR displays will become "affordable" - at least compared to the $40k price tag they have today! :LOL:

And you know this from what? How long did it take for plasma and LCD to become affordable, and I mean larger than 40" screens. Hell, the plasmas arent even yet affordable and I believe they are over 10 years old tech (commercially).
SED might be cheaper to manufacture, but it rarely reflects much to consumer prices, they will be sold at a premium for years, why wouldn't they.
I don't know what's affordable to you, but over €4000 for a display device is not affordable to me... but as your puppy-abusing boyfriend buys the stuff to you anyway, you don't have that problem.

rabidrabbit said:
And you know this from what? How long did it take for plasma and LCD to become affordable, and I mean larger than 40" screens. Hell, the plasmas arent even yet affordable and I believe they are over 10 years old tech (commercially).
SED might be cheaper to manufacture, but it rarely reflects much to consumer prices, they will be sold at a premium for years, why wouldn't they.
I don't know what's affordable to you, but over €4000 for a display device is not affordable to me... but as your puppy-abusing boyfriend buys the stuff to you anyway, you don't have that problem.

I WISH!!! :LOL:

HDR displays are based on today's teceh, just a different approach. Not sure about SED but "they said" they will come down in price very shortly.
Obviously these sets will never be "cheap" but that's just because they are so-called Luxury Items. LCD is cheap today, and you find VERY cheap sets, but you also find the expensive ones. There seems to be the £/$/EUR1000 threshold, all "cool-ish" tech TVs hover around that price for a long time, whether they are actually cheap to manufacture or not.
You can find plasmas for less than £1000 today, though you won't get VERY good sets for that price. LCD at a $1000 price tag are VERY good today.

Not for above 40" screens, you won't get anywhere near acceptable quality lcd or plasma for that price, anywhere.
Sub 30" lcd screens you can find, but not the big ones, and I WANT BIG!!

rabidrabbit said:
Not for above 40" screens, you won't get anywhere near acceptable quality lcd or plasma for that price, anywhere.
Sub 30" lcd screens you can find, but not the big ones, and I WANT BIG!!

Yeah yeah yeah we all know you're a size queen. Well obviously if you want BIG, then you might as well stick to projectors (either big rear projector or front projetors so you can shoot all over you wall).

The bigger you get, the bigger the resolution will likely get (up to 1080p) so that makes LCD, Plasmas and all those even more expensive.

SED is suppose to have manufacturing cost advantages over LCD and plasma.

Toshiba has said initially, they will price for a premium.

But if they keep SED products above $10k until the end of the decade, they will never see the volumes to bring economies of scale to the technology.

Sony pushing SXRD to the $5k range (from $13k) in just a year is a good sign.

I don't think Toshiba and Canon plan for SED to be a niche, high-end product only.

You can try a DLP or LCD rear-projection. They start at 42" and go up from there.

Sony has an LCD rear-projection units, and Samsung has DLP rear-projection units. Prices are comparable between the two. They are generally cheaper than an LCD flat-panel of the same size.

Downside is viewing angle - not as good as Plasma or LCD, but MUCH better than antiquated CRT rear-projection. Also, the projector bulb needs replacing every few years (from what I hear), at a cost of $200-$300. Obviously, you also can't hang them on a wall, although they are light enough for 1 or 2 people to move/carry.

The biggest RP display I can fit in my TV cabinet is the Samsung HLR4266w (DLP) or the Sony KDFE42A10 (LCD). I've been debating whether I should go with one of these or get a slightly smaller (40") but more expensive LCD flat-panel.

Back